PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get Excited, Part One: The PSP GPS Accessory

wraggster
September 4th, 2006, 23:57
Heres an excerpt

One of the first things we PSP fans have to be excited about is the upcoming GPS accessory. We've known about the possibility of a GPS accessory ever since before the PSP was even released; Sony's first public exhibition of the PSP showed several units equipped with a small GPS unit that attached to the PSP's GPS port. Sony reminded us that the accessory was on its way at the Playstation Business Meeting earlier this year. And just this past week, we learned an official price and release date for the Japanese market: December 7th for 6,000 yen (~$51 USD).

Full article at PSP Vault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article656.psp)

smoky
September 4th, 2006, 23:58
Hehe this should be good.

Video_freak
September 5th, 2006, 00:01
If all I have to buy for this to work is $51, I'll get it! :)

brainpan
September 5th, 2006, 00:06
I usually avoid accessories BUT if it provides me with directions, etc then 51 dollars is great and I'll definetely buy one.

mavsman4457
September 5th, 2006, 00:18
I will buy one provided that:
1. I get a mod chip installed cheaply so I can run the latest firmware while also having homebrew
2. This is compatible with Deniska's Map This
3. Someone cracks the new firmware so it runs on devhook
4. Sony is stupid enough to not require a firmware higher than 2.71 or 2.8 and I can use devhook to use GPS

I am only holding my breath for Deniska to come through or me getting a mod chip. In the long run though I bet the new firmware will be devhooked.

Veskgar
September 5th, 2006, 00:30
Might be worth it to me if there are no monthly service charges. Who needs more fricken monthly service charges.... AHHHH!

Facho
September 5th, 2006, 00:32
If the GPS software isn't good, there will be no point. Still waiting for more details, hope it's good!

scarph
September 5th, 2006, 00:52
i dont want my psp any bigger

i think a psp in the front seat of a car is a dangerous idea :)

NoQuarter
September 5th, 2006, 01:22
God, these peripherals are ugly!
couldn't they have atleast made them in black?
Price is nice though I must admit,if there is no monthly fee.

kschewe
September 5th, 2006, 02:02
gps is free there should be no reason for a monthly fee. what would own is if garmin would make a disc for the psp

deniska
September 5th, 2006, 02:04
So far, I did not hear anything about Sony rolling out a Nav Software, supporting any country other than Japan... and winter is not a good time for releasing GPS addon for Golf :-)
So you may wait another year before (if at all) they cook up navigational software for your area or use MapThis! now...
just my 5 cents.... :-)

10shu
September 5th, 2006, 03:18
I m sure it can be use for gaming...:)
what Mr.Miyamoto would do:rolleyes: ????

NoQuarter
September 5th, 2006, 04:04
I definitly would rather use your homebrew densika.Really can't forsee upgrading my 1.5.kinda scared of soldering though.

Zourn
September 5th, 2006, 06:06
gps is free there should be no reason for a monthly fee. what would own is if garmin would make a disc for the psp
screw garmin, I'd take DeLorme's software anyday.

Veskgar
September 5th, 2006, 06:10
I definitly would rather use your homebrew densika.Really can't forsee upgrading my 1.5.kinda scared of soldering though.
That's how I feel also.

Physicist
September 5th, 2006, 10:29
i think gps is impractical. its already on your mobile phones. ask yourself: how often do you use it?

donne
September 5th, 2006, 10:57
Huh ? Gps in my mobile phone ? The only smart-phone with gps I can find is an iPaq and that's almost US$600.. I'd better save it for PS3, don't you think ?

a Gps is some-what a cool gadget.. But frankly honest, I can't find a big reason for me to get it 'though.. I think I'll pass..

THUD
September 5th, 2006, 11:22
GPS is only as good as its software maps etc...

The price only specifies the unit itself....

SO how much is the important thing, the maps and software that make the GPS any sense...bet these are not included in the price....

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 5th, 2006, 14:28
Looks cool but as always we will get ripped off here in the uk paying $ for £ so will look online for a bargain.I will be damned is $$$$ony are screwing any more money from me. :)

QueadlunnRau
September 5th, 2006, 17:04
This is looking good for me so far, but if Sony has a monthly fee I will have to drop kick kick them a death letter. Promising to destroy someone with a dirty sock filled with quarters.