PDA

View Full Version : Minna no Chizu

A Fn NOOB
September 5th, 2006, 15:14
Minna no Chizu! (Everyone's Map), the Mapping software released in Japan, presumably compatible with the GPS-290 (Sony PSP GPS) get it's maps from the same company that provides maps to Google-maps... The irony!

Does anyone else think that it's more than a coincidence that days after MapThis! was released, Sony flooded the internet with announcements of the GPS-reciever?

I guess that $ony is/was banking on selling UMD maps for their GPS-unit. Surely they are hard at work trying to make sure their GPS reciever is not compatible with homebrew. They should have made all features for the PSP available "out of the gate" instead of trickling them down as lures for their stupid firmware updates.

Snooze, you lose.

Haha

deniska
September 5th, 2006, 16:28
It would be interesting to see if they plan on providing routing capabilities..
Their POI data will probably be limited to McDonalds... (no bars/nite clubs) since the console is geared towards teenagers...

I also wonder how long it's going to take Sony to provide coverage for other parts of the World (US, Europe, Australia)?
In any case, competition is a good thing :-)

vibez
September 5th, 2006, 16:49
I didn't see any mention of road maps, sat nav in any of their press releases. Just a silly map of the stars above your head. Unless I missed something?

fokia
September 5th, 2006, 17:16
The $ony GPS module price tag is a bit tlower than GPSlim236 (about 50%) but it shouldn't be as good piece of HW I guess...

deniska
September 5th, 2006, 18:53
From the description leaked it's still unclear which chiset it's using...
Also, Holux is much more versatile device than Sony's offering.. You can use it with your PC/phone/PDA in case your PSP breaks up...
So the higher price tag may be justified...

I guess we'll see in the next 2-3 months.. (did not they say that Dec 7 date may be delayed even further???)

A Fn NOOB
September 5th, 2006, 23:59
It's probably a Pharos gps-500

They are just sticking with their business-model of dumping the hardware for cheap and making it back via software licensing. (Stupidity)

You will have to buy overpriced regional UMD maps surely.

But they have big plans for the kids with an advertising-laden *******ization of geocaching and location-based-bull$hit.

I mentioned on the main board before once about how it would be shooting themselves in the foot if they were to offer fully-functional GPS nav unit with PSP, considering the price they (and other mfgr's) can demand from the consumer for GPS-nav units. Entry level units are around $400, and go up to $1200. And they cant play GTA or watch pr0n on those units :)

My prediction: Once GPS reciever comes out in Dec. (For $50-60) some of those hardcore heavy-hitting Sourceforging, Linux boys will hack it to shreds and you'll see "PSP Tom-Tom" and "PSP Garmin" etc all over bittorrent.

Therefore, the direction you should take MapThis!, Deniska is to.... Ill pm you