PDA

View Full Version : HDMI cable coming for Xbox 360

wraggster
September 5th, 2006, 17:21
Following the news that the HDMI-equipped PlayStation 3 will ship without an HDMI cable, it appears that the Xbox 360 - which has no HDMI-out port - is about to acquire an HDMI cable.

How do we know? Well, EB Games in the US is taking orders for just such an object, priced at $99 (which is rather steep for a cable).

Which may sound like another coup for Microsoft at Sony's expense -- but is it? Not necessarily, we'd have to say. For a start, HDMI is an intelligent connection standard -- it auto-senses the maximum resolution at which your TV can run, for example -- and it is highly unlikely that those sort of features would work without an HDMI-out socket.

Indeed, it is questionable whether you would see any benefits in quality over the standard Component Video lead currently included with the Xbox 360. HDMI is, however, physically a smaller and neater format than Component Video, as it encapsulates both video and audio signals.

Still, if you're convinced that buying an HDMI cable for your Xbox 360 will lead to an improvement in the picture and sound you see on your TV, it sounds as if you will be able to do just that in the near future.

WilDThraxter
September 6th, 2006, 01:22
one min were gettin one, next were no, then we are again. i aint holdin my breath till we get an official statement

SSaxdude
September 6th, 2006, 12:41
I don't have any kind of HDTV (and there are like 7 TVs in my house) so I'm not going to get excited about this yet.

markymark1
September 7th, 2006, 08:38
HDTV's do make a huge difference, iv seen it, but tbh im happy with playing on a normal tv screen, the graphics are still amazing.
I might think bout getting a HDTV and a HDMI cable(hopefully they will have come down in price by the time i come to get one).
SSaxdude...7 tvs? y man? iv got 4 and 2 are used for 2 seperate 360's & not for tv. do u watch tv on them all the time or summit?