PDA

View Full Version : Kawanishi reveals PSP download details

wraggster
September 5th, 2006, 18:39
More Download Info via Gamesindustry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19488)

Sony’s head of platform development in Japan, Izumi Kawanishi, has stated that the upcoming PSP download service will operate via Wi-Fi-enabled PCs as well as the PS3, and is due this November.

Original PlayStation games will be downloadable and Kawanishi reports the PSP has no problem running them via an emulator, according to an interview with NikkeiBP.

Kawanishi also states that the PSP download service, which is set to include movies as well as full original PlayStation games, is scheduled to launch in conjunction with the PlayStation 3.

With broadband becoming more widespread, Kawanishi explained that digital distribution was a realistic service that the PlayStation 3 could utilise in its role as a central home server - as well as a traditional games console.

Sony declined to offer further comment on Kawanishi's statements.

Nafogel
September 5th, 2006, 18:43
sweeeet! It's gonna take some serious willpower to keep me from upgrading my 1.5. I sure hope devhook comes through on this firmware. I wonder what the size would be on an average ps1 iso, I might be needing a bigger memstick:(

Veskgar
September 5th, 2006, 20:04
These details are nothing new. Just the same stuff recycled. I'd like to see some available launch titles, more videos, the size of the game downloads, what sort of DRM will be in place, etc. etc.

It's gonna take some serious willpower to keep me from upgrading my 1.5
This has been an internal struggle for many PSP owners. A lot of people were quick to upgrade but almost always regretted it later.

My best advice for anyone considering upgrading is to wait it out for a little first. The day will come when once you upgrade, there will be no coming back. I'd hate to see that happen to any fellow homebrewer.

jrsmaster411
September 5th, 2006, 22:48
it kinda sounds like the ps1 games will run off wifi off your computer or ps3 not memory stick

gotmilk0112
September 5th, 2006, 23:52
damn. that would SUCK. :(

but if they did do that, what would be the point? you would have to stay in your house to play ps1 games on a PORTABLE system? i'd rather just wait for the ps1 homebrew emulator. :cool: :cool: :D

DragonPimpsta
September 6th, 2006, 00:16
OMG i love PSSSONEEEEE

**1_Man_Matrix**
September 6th, 2006, 00:23
Sounds pretty good.

Memory sticks have come down quite a bit, and I have a mate in Harware Distribution who can get them for insane prices :D

My biggest conern is the download times for ps1 games... I don't want to pay $15 and then wait 10 hours to play Tomb Raider 1.

Also I want to be able to store the games I pay for. I reckon it will act like 'Steam' for Half-life series. Whereas you pay for a game once, but if ever you delete it, you still 'own' it, but have to download it again.

I sure hope I can copy my games to my PC and back again. They might also assign games to a specific PSP once payed for, so people can't swap them etc...