PDA

View Full Version : Huge Surprise: Umd-video Price Reduction Leads To 10x Sales

wraggster
September 5th, 2006, 20:26
Great UMD Sales News from PSP Vault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article658.psp)
As you know, we here at PSP-Vault have been following the tale of Warner Home Video's 980 yen (~$8.50 USD) UMD-Video sale in Japan. Warner Home Video first announced the UMD-Videos would be available for a limited time. Then, last month, they removed the limitation and said the UMD-Videos would be available at the same price indefinitely, at which point we speculated that increased sales were the logic behind this move.

Well, it seems we were right. Today, Gpara carries an announcement from Warner Home Video that states that after they reduced the retail price of the UMD-Videos to 980 yen (~$8.50 USD), the company moved over 10x as many units.

It's a shame that it has taken so long for companies to realize this, but let's all celebrate -- this announcement is a victory for the UMD-Video format, the PSP, and especially us consumers. Hopefully word of Warner Home Video's success will spread to other companies in the industry.I got the Harry Potter Movies on UMD for 9 pounds each the other week but now they are back to 20 pounds, anyone know an English speaking site that sells UMDs as cheap as the newspost above?

Veskgar
September 5th, 2006, 20:56
So we were right after all? WOW! What a shock (sarcasm)

Lets hope this rubs off on SONY's PS1 game downloads. Because I think if SONY does not price their download service right, it will also fail or barely get by.

drEDN4wt
September 5th, 2006, 21:19
I picked up a new UMD of Hellraiser from the local GAME shop for £4.99. I thought I'd avoided it but it hooked me and pulled me back.

Accordion
September 5th, 2006, 21:40
Great UMD Sales News from PSP Vault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article658.psp)

It's a shame that it has taken so long for companies to realize this, but let's all celebrate -- this announcement is a victory for the UMD-Video format, the PSP, and especially us consumers. Hopefully word of Warner Home Video's success will spread to other companies in the industry.
[/B]

perhaps the price drop is to get rid of stock, rather than to re awaken the market…if thats the case, then there is no success, just a celebratory finale

QueadlunnRau
September 5th, 2006, 22:03
Agreed UMD movies should have been $9.99 US from the begining, with older or less popular movies at $7.99 US and $5.99 US.

M!ckeY
September 5th, 2006, 22:09
i agree with you QueadlunnRau:)

some movies where way too much

jerrt
September 5th, 2006, 22:16
So we were right after all? WOW! What a shock (sarcasm)

Lets hope this rubs off on SONY's PS1 game downloads. Because I think if SONY does not price their download service right, it will also fail or barely get by.

from some of the studios [i can't say all, because sony has direct interest in some] sony did no influence the pricepoint. from what i can tell it was the studios that thought they could sell it like a new dvd [which it wasn't] and ended up messing with a very possible middle ground portable video medium. oh well, i hope they end up staying around and i hope that the umd market can find a home where it doesn't have to die off. This is good news.

oh, and i agree, i hope the ps1 downloads are cheap. they really only need to make 1-2% above costs to make it happen. i mean, they have really already made their money. i don't mind paying a conversion fee as long as it is reasonable.

Galiano
September 5th, 2006, 22:20
Thats why umd movie sales are down who on earth would pay £19.99 for a movie you can buy on dvd for half the price. If umd movies retailed for a lesser price from the start we wouldn't be talking about the decline of the format.

Other companies should take notice of the increased sales and reduce their umd prices as well.

Accordion
September 5th, 2006, 22:29
dont forget, if the profit margin is too low, then UMD movies will not be produced

trezzer
September 5th, 2006, 22:52
Well, play.com sells most UMD titles pretty cheap.

psp828
September 5th, 2006, 23:26
hopefully this will help out the psp in more ways then just umd movies.

dmac
September 5th, 2006, 23:57
Hopefully this comes to the US and Canada soon. I might actually buy some movies if they are $10.

SSaxdude
September 6th, 2006, 00:25
$6.66 region free UMD movies here:
https://buy.tromamovies.com/index.php?cPath=1_19&osCsid=152f0348272e6c26d24291c499937c30
BTW, Cannibal! is an amazing movie.

Emeriastone
September 6th, 2006, 00:53
yeah, no kidding, find me a english site and I'll drop 100$ on the good UMD videos for cheap.

penileartery
September 6th, 2006, 02:47
wow thats cool..the only movies ive bought..is Jackass Volume 1 (Jackass During class.hahahah) and the punisher *(all time favorite) maybe..lol

Veskgar
September 6th, 2006, 04:31
I only own 1 UMD movie so far. T2: Judgment Day - CLASSIC! There are a few more I could see myself getting if the price was cheap.

stotheamuel
September 6th, 2006, 05:52
I have one... spider man 2...... :-p

Video_freak
September 6th, 2006, 06:05
I need no UMDs, no matter how cheap. I have Netflix. ;)

happy_mak
September 6th, 2006, 07:11
I got Matrix,
last samurai
the island
at the chep price. Great stuff if they sell at these prices. Good value. LEGAL AND AFFORDABLE

razorak
September 6th, 2006, 07:20
i dun have any yet but maybe i will soon enough =)

donne
September 6th, 2006, 07:59
I only own 1 UMD movie so far. T2: Judgment Day - CLASSIC! There are a few more I could see myself getting if the price was cheap.

Ooh SOO agreee !! That's the best in the series.. Let's sing.. "Yoooouuu coooulldd beee miiiineeeee..."

It's already hard to find UMD games here, I'd never seen a single UMD Movie.. You know what sells.. How about the next Spider-man 3 UMD first before DVD ?

r-complex
September 6th, 2006, 12:08
Yeah, T2 was an instant classic! I had it on Laser Disc back in 1991! My 5 year old Daugher at the time loved it! And, The Original "Punisher" with Dolph Lundgren was pretty good too!

bah
September 6th, 2006, 13:28
Appropriate pricing of a product leads to better sales? Shocking.....

This is great for those less technologically inclined, personally converting my DVDs has always made more sence than paying twice for the same thing, or once for a format that has 1 player and 0 benefits over dvd.