PDA

View Full Version : PSPUAE 0.54 Released

FOL
September 6th, 2006, 00:49
We have released another update to the PSP Amiga emulator over at www.pspuae.com (http://www.pspuae.com) - Release changes / improvements listed below.

V0.54 - Speed Increase Release
- Based on e-uae 0.8.29 WIP3
- Ditched harddrive support to gain speed as I still can't get it to work with WIP3
- Removed support for serial ports to gain speed
- Several optimizations to the e-uae code primarily removing stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense on the PSP
- Added cpu speed option - thanks to FOL
- Added profiling support
- Fixed memory issues - now allows 6MB for PSP V1.50 and 5.5MB for PSP V2.00+
- Should run using kxploit and the eloader (So V1.50 release works with all)
- Switched middle and right mouse button
- Fixed screenshot
- only displays leds for 2 drives as only 2 are enabled (will not accept 4 drives as I have disabled the last 2 for performance reasons)
- disabled debugging support (can be enabled again it doesnt really make a performance hit)
- only possible to select valid memory configurations (up to 2 Mb chip, 1.5 Mb bogo and 2.5Mb fast)
- Fixed keyboard mappings
- when mapping keyboard keys to psp buttons the behaviour is to keep the key down until the psp
button is released.
- removed 2 drives from the disk menu
- added msg box for when no kickstart rom is present and also for when changing kickstart roms
while using PSPUAE
- added msg box for when PSPUAE runs out of memory instead of crashing (makes it very hard to crash PSPUAE now)
- added KickStart 2.04 & 2.05 to the Rom selection menu

Although confirmed working with the new E-Loader 0.98, it hasnt been fully tested yet.

Enjoy!

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports

KerryKing
September 6th, 2006, 00:59
Is there any emulator that can play Leisure Suit Larry series?

FOL
September 6th, 2006, 01:01
Is there any emulator that can play Leisure Suit Larry series?

Yes this, there was a sierra emu for GBA. As the keyboard is needed though I would go with WinUAE. Lets you emulate an Amiga on your PC

KerryKing
September 6th, 2006, 01:02
I was just going to say something about that but something for psp.

KerryKing
September 6th, 2006, 01:03
There must not be alot of people who like those old sierra games. There probably would have been one by now. I figured this would be the place ask. I think the games might be similar. This emulator uses disk images right. Probably just need a emulator that can run dos.

FOL
September 6th, 2006, 01:10
There must not be alot of people who like those old sierra games. There probably would have been one by now. I figured this would be the place ask. I think the games might be similar. This emulator uses disk images right. Probably just need a emulator that can run dos.

Yes, PSPUAE uses Amiga Disk Images (ADF`s). The Amiga is the best platform for these games, as PC`s sucked back then.

Try boch`s for PSP, its a pc emulator

fucht017
September 6th, 2006, 01:21
When i tryed it the first time,it cashes...What i did was going to the options screen and reselect my kickstart(1.3 for instance) and then it worked fine...I also set Chipmem and Bogomen(you can find them in the options screen) to 512kb...Great speed up though..only sound still a bit crappy...But a great update guys..Thank you very much:D

FOL
September 6th, 2006, 01:26
When i tryed it the first time,it cashes...What i did was going to the options screen and reselect my kickstart(1.3 for instance) and then it worked fine...I also set Chipmem and Bogomen(you can find them in the options screen) to 512kb...Great speed up though..only sound still a bit crappy...But a great update guys..Thank you very much:D

Dont understand what you mean?
Crashed? what PSP Version you on?

With the correct Kickroms and default settings, Tested on PSP, 1.50, 2.00, 2.50 all loaded perfect. Using gta or New eloader.

fucht017
September 6th, 2006, 01:42
My firmware is 1.5...Chipmem and bogomem had 1536kb when i first started 0.54..I don't know if that was the problem..But when i chanched the Chipmem and Bogomem to 512kb and reselect my kickstart..it worked fine then.

FOL
September 6th, 2006, 01:45
My firmware is 1.5...Chipmem and bogomem had 1536kb when i first started 0.54..I don't know if that was the problem..But when i chanched the Chipmem and Bogomem to 512kb and reselect my kickstart..it worked fine then.

Have you got saved config files? if so, best to remove them, that would cause your problem

psp828
September 6th, 2006, 01:58
great release hopefully i can try this soon.

fucht017
September 6th, 2006, 02:08
No i don't have saved config files?...I realy don't know why it crashed:confused: ...It crashes when i try to load a game,you only saw the kickstart logo,and had to take out the battery,even the on\off button could shut my psp down...But like i said,t worked great now FOL;)

xiringu
September 6th, 2006, 03:05
after trying it...the only thing I can say is: thank you guys!!!! :P

I only hope they get some extra speed for the sound. it freaks me out playing with a laggy sound...or no sound at all. though, some games seem to run fine with it.

Xenon 2, at frameskip2 runs incredible, but R-Type 2, after a few seconds gets too sloooowwww (maybe 5 fps), I don't know why.

anyway, I love this emu!!!

Kick Off 2, here I come again!!!

Hungry Horace
September 6th, 2006, 03:19
my recommendation is to use minmal settings where you can, but to keep the floppy speed on turbo (providing the loading still works) and the cpu on max - but settings can be fairly game specific.

older stuff should run fine with just the OCS chipset - but some stuff my insist on ECS or having a certain amount of chip or fast ram (or in some rare cases only with no fastram at all!)

frameskip needs to be around 2-3 for most games at the moment. i suggest you just experiment and see what works, although there is a (in need of updates) comptibility chart over on www.pspuae.com you could always look at (and maybe add to?)

i'm trying to work on some work-around ADFs at the moment that will mean massively reducing the games in-game loading speed. It might be a bit of a b*tch on the first load, but if you then use the savestate function it should do all the future loading from the amiga ram (thus being a lot quicker between levels etc)

i managed to do it with New Zealand Story, but the game runs quite badly on pspuae anyway! perhaps with a game that is faster (alien breed etc) it will work a lot better.... here's hoping.

SpacemanSpiff
September 6th, 2006, 03:26
What are the best settings to use with this emu regarding mem usage and frameskip? Its been a while since I used it but the last version of PSPUAE I tried ran most games at around 50-75% speed with sound at frameskip = 3, how much has performance improved since then?

ScHlAuChi
September 6th, 2006, 03:32
Great work guys!

However i have a little suggestion - would it be possible to have an option that disables the "video" emulation of PSPUAE?

You may ask why anyone would want to do this - but the reason is - if you want to use the PSP as portable MOD or "insert random exotic amiga tracker format" player - then video emulation is not necessary and would only take away CPU power needed for better audio emulation.

So for Delitracker etc this would be awesome (of course harddisk folder or hardfile support would also help alot to store all the music :)

Hungry Horace
September 6th, 2006, 03:37
What are the best settings to use with this emu regarding mem usage and frameskip? Its been a while since I used it but the last version of PSPUAE I tried ran most games at around 50-75% speed with sound at frameskip = 3, how much has performance improved since then?

hi spaceman

this will depend entirely on the game in question i'm afraid. many games seem to be running around or above the 50fps mark (which is where they should be, but at the moment pspuae is going for 60fps even when it should be PAL... ) with frameskip 2 or 3. Turrican and Alien Breed for example.
However, worse coded or cpu heavy games may need up to 4-5 skip or simply not be playable at all.

Removing sound of course improves things quite drastically, but no one really wants to do this if it can be avoided!

it's definately got faster, but whether this will include the games you're looking to play - i cant tell i'm sorry to say.

scarph
September 6th, 2006, 03:38
once again congrats on the new release! that was extra fast, the updates look wonderful!

xiringu
September 6th, 2006, 04:03
I've seen a couple of things I didn't expect, so I'll try a "few" games tonight, to find out more about config settings :)

none of the following is confirmed:

1) one of the weird things I've seen is that sometimes, pressing select to go to the menu, and just going back to the game, it gives a speed boost.

I still can't say anything more about this, but it could be that some options I set before weren't updated properly, until that moment...or something to be with memory being cached? no idea...I'll try to reproduce it, if I can.

2) sometimes, chipset is faster than max speed. I didn't expect this.

3) with the same settings, Xenon2 runs great, and R-Type is unplayable

and some REQUESTS I'd like to see implemented:

1) turn ON/OFF audio channels independently. why? you could turn the music on/off in some games, giving some extra fps, without losing the sound effects. In Xenon2 it allows you to turn it off on the main menu, and it makes a difference.

xiringu
September 6th, 2006, 04:11
if you want to use the PSP as portable MOD or "insert random exotic amiga tracker format" player

what you say is an option, but I'd rather have a normal music player able to play those music files, without having to load a whole game or demo for them.

I think what's needed badly on the psp is a good media player...both video and audio.

there's some good players out there, but too short on formats. we need .avi, .3gp, .it, .mod, .s3m, etc

Hungry Horace
September 6th, 2006, 04:35
xiringu - I have to agree with you about the external soundplayer... personally i would favour MOD and MED support, since they are the formats i work in myself, but would happy to see SID and AY3 also running, and it would mean a lot more music on the psp without the need to eat up memorycard space. running pspuae is far from ideal, particulary when the sound output is fixed at a lowly 22khz.

your suggestion about the music channels is i think quite an inspired one! i had been considering asking for the same feature to be added to pspectrum (for totally different reasons though) and i think you are right that it may help here.... one of my major problems running SWOS seems to be the continous crowd sound and its very likely that is restricted to one or two channels, and it's frankly a bit off having no sound at all!

re: the chipset cpu speed.... this can help in those situations where the chipset i think is not heavily relied upon (?) - this is likely to be of some discussion over at pspuae.com where i feel your comments would go appriciated.

glad to see the release being enjoyed.

xiringu
September 6th, 2006, 04:48
at pspuae.com where i feel your comments would go appriciated

my first idea was to post my findings, and ideas over there, but for some weird reason I don't understand, I always have problems connecting to www.pspuae.com

I don't know if it's my ISP or theirs, but I've been trying and I can't access... :(

anyway, you can still read my posts and comment them over there for me ;)

btw

1) there's a problem with the settings.

an example: I have leds off, but I still can see them on the emu. going to options and then back to the game seems to refresh it. That's an easy one, because it's visible, but I don't know what it's happening to other options, like collisions, etc.

It seems there are some points were the options are not refreshed, and they should.

2) another very useful option would be something to allow to swap df0: and df1: at runtime. I'll explain it. There's games that only run from df0: and they need multiple swaps. Unless there's another way, everytime you are asked, you have to go to the menu and insert the correct disk in df0:

well, that's veeery uncomfortable. I've just swapped disks like that 7 times for a game.

what if...there was a way to leave each disk on a drive (df0=disk1, df1=disk2) and when asked inside a game, just press a button, and make df0=df1, and df1=df0?

just an idea :P

cypressice
September 6th, 2006, 07:07
is the Amiga ROM dump file just like a bios, and what do i need to search to find it........sorry this is my first Amiga experience

defiant_psp
September 6th, 2006, 09:43
is the Amiga ROM dump file just like a bios, and what do i need to search to find it........sorry this is my first Amiga experience

Put in a search on google for "kick13.rom".

Gazz021
September 6th, 2006, 10:12
Just tried latest update with Dizzy Collection.Loaded a lot faster and running smoother. As any one tried The Settlers? I've tried running The Settlers but it only goes as far opening movie,but not to the menu screen? Keep up the good work,Cheers Gazz.

Gazz021
September 6th, 2006, 10:23
Does anyone know how to get by-pass entering words from the manual in Robin Hood? Just tried The Settlers again and it plays, o button held down to scroll and x to place buildings.

jaws365
September 6th, 2006, 11:26

Ah, I dig the Quest For Glory series. The new version of QFG1 (only for pc) doesnīt even need keyboard, would be so frggin cool to have it on PSP.

Yeah, we need more GOOD music players with support for many formats (mod, med, psf, xm, spc, g, gym, etc. etc) and WITH playlist so one can fall asleep to it :) If IRSHELL had support for many formats, it would have been very close to what I desire.

Protracker is running very good (not perfect of course) on this release of PSPUAE. I experience getting more fps by setting cpu-speed to "chipset" with alot of stuff like Dune, Silkworm, Protracker, + more.

THANKS FOR SUPERB RELEASE, AND FOR BRINGING NEW HOPE TO PSPUAE! YOU MAY CONTINUE, PLEASE DO.

Hungry Horace
September 6th, 2006, 13:15
@ Gazz - i sugest you google planetemu and take advantage of the "telechargement" servece to get hold of some different copies of any games you're stuggling to load / needing manuals for.

i found Octamed to be a bit clicky with the songs i used myself... maybe i'll try some other songs, or protracker instead.

hiptanaka
September 6th, 2006, 14:44
has anyone had any luck playing Covert Action? If so, what settings?

steve-b
September 6th, 2006, 14:45
when you say MED files, do you mean like octamed files? man i used to love messing around with that program back in the day. Gonna have to try it and see if it works thru the emu

ACID
September 6th, 2006, 15:30
Sweet have to try this now.

Hungry Horace
September 6th, 2006, 15:33
when you say MED files, do you mean like octamed files? man i used to love messing around with that program back in the day. Gonna have to try it and see if it works thru the emu

yes i do!

FOL reported Octamed v5 working very well, particualrly when turning off the display.

i work in music a lot, and am very picky, so i still have my doubts myself! (the med files i've created played very clicky when using octa v5)

aries2k4
September 6th, 2006, 15:54
Feel like trying something new today. Havenīt got this emu yet, so Iīm going to try it out.
Thanks!!!

Baboon
September 6th, 2006, 17:07
Back in the day I remember dabling with Protracker and Octamed... I even bought a sampler for my A500 so I could make my own 'rave' tunes. lol Even though I stuggled with the four channels (I think Octamed split them into 8?) I managed to create quite a few cool choons. :0

This emu sounds cool if you can get any of thoses music progs to work?

The Amiga also used to have some great Public Domain demos... anyone rember Budbrain? or Jesus Loves the Acid? ..quaity stuff! :)

jaws365
September 6th, 2006, 18:22
Yeah I remember Budbrain 1&2, very nice stuff. Also Horror Video is cool. And I remember 9Fingers by Spaceballs being shown on MTV in the early 90īs, before digital effects and visuals were much used on TV.

Anyone heard of the tracker called DigiboosterPRO? This one saved my ass in period buisness became more serious, and needed more channels to work with.

FOL
September 6th, 2006, 18:31
Back in the day I remember dabling with Protracker and Octamed... I even bought a sampler for my A500 so I could make my own 'rave' tunes. lol Even though I stuggled with the four channels (I think Octamed split them into 8?) I managed to create quite a few cool choons. :0

This emu sounds cool if you can get any of thoses music progs to work?

The Amiga also used to have some great Public Domain demos... anyone rember Budbrain? or Jesus Loves the Acid? ..quaity stuff! :)

Lmfao, thats what i used to do, bought SOUNDWAVE, and make my own rave tunes, ;).

OctaMED 5 runs lovely on frameskip = 3 and Occiliscope display turned off in OctaMED 5.

FOL
September 6th, 2006, 18:32
Yeah I remember Budbrain 1&2, very nice stuff. Also Horror Video is cool. And I remember 9Fingers by Spaceballs being shown on MTV in the early 90īs, before digital effects and visuals were much used on TV.

Anyone heard of the tracker called DigiboosterPRO? This one saved my ass in period buisness became more serious, and needed more channels to work with.

I was watching that the other day on my PSP, I remembered it, but couldnt remember name, so i hunted it down, good ol memories.

BudBrain 1 rules.

jaws365
September 6th, 2006, 21:01
I agree, Budbrain 1 is one class above.

SpacemanSpiff
September 6th, 2006, 23:02
Just tried it out, great release. What's the difference between the ocs/ecs/agnus/denise chipset options?

FOL
September 7th, 2006, 08:05
Just tried it out, great release. What's the difference between the ocs/ecs/agnus/denise chipset options?

The difference would be graphics, OCS (Original ChipSet) was the first, ecs agnus was a slightly better version as is ecs denise, Full ECS (Enhanced ChipSet), will give you A500+ / A600 emulation.

The option doesnt really matter, as alot of stuff will run with ecs agnus, denise, full ecs.

Bartekandre
September 7th, 2006, 11:40
Magic monkey juice! I hold my breath every time i see a new release of the amiga emu for my beloved PSP, hoping it will one day be full speed. Great work and kudos to everyone involved in making this happen.

JKKDARK
September 7th, 2006, 21:48
nice emu.