PDA

View Full Version : Which DS Flash cart is the one to get now?

wraggster
September 6th, 2006, 01:17
The DS Flash cart scene is moving at an incredible rate, soon we will have DS-X, DS Link and NinjaDS and we already have Supercard, M3 and G6 Lite versions.

Whats the best Flash cart and why ?

The Hombrew Hunter
September 6th, 2006, 01:36
M3 CF with Passcard 3, hands down.

Cheaper, more compatible, and damn right sexy.

Admit it, curvy sleek guys. Would you LIKE a woman that was PERFECTLY curvy? AKA no (.)(.)? Probably not.

I AM NOT A SEXIST! *runs like hell*

FrozenIpaq
September 6th, 2006, 01:37
I still think it is too early to tell. DSLink requires a flashed DS while DS-X does not. DS-X is promising a ton of features, but this is their first flashcart for the NDS (they only created xbox modchips before this).

Also, the M3 team is putting out a slot 1 loader link the DS Link and DS-X (flashcart and an adapter microSD).

We just need to wait and see what others will say.

Wraggster - you can always attempt to ask for review samples from the developers (that develop the flashcart) if you believe your users are having dobuts. Although, I've had bad experience with M3 for not giving me review samples yet giving a moderator on my forums one - not the greatest :(

So I still think it is too early to tell - I think we should be able to judge before christmas :p

kcajblue
September 6th, 2006, 02:20
M3 CF with Passcard 3, hands down.

Cheaper, more compatible, and damn right sexy.

Admit it, curvy sleek guys. Would you LIKE a woman that was PERFECTLY curvy? AKA no (.)(.)? Probably not.

I AM NOT A SEXIST! *runs like hell*
damn straight!!! M3 CF is the way to go!!! :D :D :D
why you ask??? because its awesome!!! :D :D :D

GamerGuyDude
September 6th, 2006, 03:44
Wow... what a difficult question. The correct answer is that there is no "best". A more specific answer would be that the best card choice varies from person to person, situation to situation.

* If you're doing homebrew primarily then M3 CF seems to be the king.

* If you want to play commercial GBA roms it seems G6 Lite has the edge. EZ-Flash could also be an option.

* If commercial NDS roms are your bag then I'd probably say a Slot 1 solution is going to open up more possibilities for you when Nintendo starts making more use of the GBA slot within NDS games. If you think that the big N will not be using the GBA slot in conjunction with future NDS games, then a Supercard or M3 Lite could be the best solution for you.

Note: Many of the above can do more than just that one type of program. That just happens to be the area where they outperform the competition.

This, of course, leaves one big question: built-in or expandable memory?

* If space is your primary concern- aka, I have to go on a month-long trip with no access to a computer - go with expandable (microSD, miniSD, SD, CF). These are also useful if you want to use your DS as a media player.

* If gaming functionality is your primary concern and you have frequent access to your computer you're probably better off with built-in memory since it's generally faster and more reliable.

futaris
September 6th, 2006, 04:01
What about EZFlash IV / EZFlash IV Lite??? GBA compatibility is good, and external storage too...

molopo
September 6th, 2006, 04:11
Does the G6 Lite work with SNES emulators like SnezziDS or DSnes?

kcajblue
September 6th, 2006, 04:22
it should

molopo
September 6th, 2006, 04:30
D:
I'm thinking of getting it for Christmas from my parents, but I really want to make sure that I'm gonna get the best bang for my buck, ya know? ;0
Can anyone verify this? Any why is M3 CF the king of homebrewing? o_o;

kcajblue
September 6th, 2006, 04:36
CF is more compatible than SD

Quay Cur
September 6th, 2006, 05:44
I really like the direction that the DS-X is going in. DSLink's microSD is cool, but I don't want to flash. I also really like how you just plug the DS-X directly into your comp, much like my G6, though the G6 doesn't come with the USB extension cable it really requires.

My G6 Lite treats me nicely and I don't have too many regrets about buying it. The only thing that would kinda make me mad would be a:

- Slot 1 flashcart
- 1GB or more of storage (removeable or not)
- Doesn't require you to flash your DS
- Runs GBA games/homebrew

Throw a skinnable interface on that and I would consider replacing my G6 Lite, assuming that game/homebrew compatibility is high.

Psphreak
September 6th, 2006, 07:05
I just recently purchased the m3 passcard 3 and the g6 lite combo and I have to say that it is very awesome. Played around with some nes roms and they load just fine. Commercial DS/GBA games work perfectly. The patcher program is great, because you can apply cheats like save anywhere, soft reset etc. I don't know about everyone else but it would be really nice if the DS homebrew (nes/snes etc) scene would be releasing as many quality emulators as the psp. I guess it comes down to the hardware that they have to work with.

iball
September 6th, 2006, 07:25
Meh. For GBA I use an EFA Linker II and GBM.
For NDS I'm sticking with Supercard, namely my SC mini-SD.
I tend to keep GBA ROMs separate from the NDS since I have a dedicated cart and device to play them on.

GamerGuyDude
September 6th, 2006, 07:49
I haven't been able to get it to work on mine, but I'll admit I'm not very knowledgeable about programming and homebrew.

Funny thing is many of the best SNES games were remade/sequel'd as GBA games anyways!

Jlobel
September 6th, 2006, 07:51
when are those new ones coming out. cause i have been looking for one since i just baught a ds lite a couple days ago. i was curious this is wut i want to do, watch a couple movies play homebrew and emulation of nes/snes/genesis also load my nds games onto the thing so i dont need to carry a couple cardridges with me

GamerGuyDude
September 6th, 2006, 07:57
when are those new ones coming out. cause i have been looking for one since i just baught a ds lite a couple days ago. i was curious this is wut i want to do, watch a couple movies play homebrew and emulation of nes/snes/genesis also load my nds games onto the thing so i dont need to carry a couple cardridges with me

As far as I know they are both available now from select retailers. Homebrew has not yet been modified for these new carts and who knows how long (if ever) it will be until these are accepted by the community and coded for. Early reviews of the DSlink suggest some homebrew does work, so I guess it's hit and miss. I'm not sure about homebrew on the DS-X. The biggest downside of a slot 1 flash cart is the inability to play GBA roms. If this is not a problem, I would say go for it as Slot 1 is very likely the future of DS flash carts.

HaloJ
September 6th, 2006, 10:46
I would say M3 if you are not considering running DS Linux and Supercard if you are due to the added advantage of a memory boost which can't currently be done using an M3.

jangosolo
September 6th, 2006, 15:51
The Supercard lite is pretty cool, you either flash your DS or use the superkey, its white and fits snuggly in the GBA slot, you can upgrade the capacity and there is excellent support for it too.

ikarimaru
September 6th, 2006, 19:42
I happen to like my Supercard SD right now with Super Key. Seems to work all the time, pretty much. It's fairly well supported, too... I don't really have experience with other cards, though, so I can't really make a final judgement...

Laichzeit
September 6th, 2006, 20:41
max media dock duh!

I dunno, It was hard to choose so I went with a brand I was familiar with, Supercard Lite.

SSaxdude
September 6th, 2006, 21:49
M3 SD is amazing. If the M3 Lite is as good as the SD, then I would say the M3 Lite.

The Hombrew Hunter says the CF version is the best. I really have had no compatibility issues with my SD, plus the SD is smaller.

JAKETHESNAKE28
September 6th, 2006, 22:27
supercard sd or supercard cf all the way! that is because of the gba rom exxtention.(im not trying to start a war so leave it at that.):)

deedark
September 7th, 2006, 13:16
I'm using a M3 mini-SD, which actually is very fitting for my phat NDS+flashme; it also is very compatible, so I got no complaints with it.

I want to go lite, but if I buy one, I don't want to flash it (the reviews says it's risky to flash a nds lite); so then maybe I go for a slot1 solution...

cheekynige
September 10th, 2006, 12:21
Get m3 lite (Micro-SD) it's the way forward....

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=29417