PDA

View Full Version : Quake 3

Broadus
September 6th, 2006, 01:52
Now, I'm not a very smart person, I'd say... But, there's a Quake 3 source, right?
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7547
Yep, there it is.
So, how come nobody has tried porting that to the PSP, yet?
Now, I'm probably wrong. Maybe somebody has tried it and it was just impossible or something. I don't know.

What's the story on that?

Cooe14
September 6th, 2006, 03:01
They couldn't even successfully port Quake II, so Quake III is not going to happen.

Shadowblind
September 6th, 2006, 03:02
They're workin on Quake 2. In fact, add your own Quake 2 .pak and it works at 5fps with no sound for the game TEE made. I do doubt though that Quake three can be ported...

ExcruciationX
September 6th, 2006, 03:38
It's probably ment for a bigger processor.
I'm sure that one of the PSP Coders could answer that...

brainpan
September 6th, 2006, 05:17
I'm sure that the right coder with the right bit of knowledge could port Quake 3. Afterall, the Dreamcast had a (commercial)port. I think the DC port was easier however because the GPU was similiar to then current PC graphics hardware not to mention it ran a special version of Windows CE. Honestly, I am suprised a big developer has not already ported Q3 to the PSP. The PSP would be PERFECT for the PSP considering its hardware. Even though I played the hell outta some Quake3 I would quickly plunk the $$$ down for a PSP version if it had wifi and online mutliplayer.

Accordion
September 6th, 2006, 14:46
are you seriously comparing the dreamcast processor to the psp…craaazy

Darksaviour69
September 6th, 2006, 15:13
very few dreamcast games used wince, and Quake 3 did not. It could be ported by a developer like the dreamcast version, but not by one coder in his spare time.

remember when a developer ports a game to an other console they can change it, dumb it down etc to suit them, but a homebrew coder can't

Broadus
September 7th, 2006, 02:17
Yeah, I figured Quake 3 just couldn't be ported. At least, like you guys said, not by lone coders. Though I couldn't try out Quake 2 (I've got a 2.6), I read that it simply wasn't working out too well, so I'd already assumed that, if Quake 2 could barely be ported, Quake 3 had no hope.
Though it would be nice to play Quake 3 (and maybe even games using the Quake 3 engine like Return to Castle Wolfenstein) on the PSP. Well, it'd be nice to play a lot of things on the PSP.

MasterChafed
September 7th, 2006, 06:27
It's possible. Nothing is impossible. If we had insider secrets and a whole team, it could be accomplished. Only problem, it would be hard to assemble the time, assets, and people to do it. But to say its impossible is just not true.

ACID
September 7th, 2006, 06:52
Everything is posible. We have GBA at almost full speed dont we.

Broadus
September 7th, 2006, 06:52
At least, like you guys said, not by lone coders.
Like I said.

ACID
September 7th, 2006, 06:55
Nice metal slug sig. but you double post broadus

Broadus
September 7th, 2006, 06:56
Yes, I noticed. No need to be so speedy, buddy.

ACID
September 7th, 2006, 06:56
Ah dont have a cow

brainpan
September 8th, 2006, 05:54
I wasnt comparing the Dreamcast's processor to the PSP's BUT the PSP obviously can handle a bit more than the DC and one of those things being Quake 3. I would seriously doubt a lone coder without inside info could make a playable port of Q3 to PSP but it shouldnt too much of a problem for a comercial developer. I would not put it out of the range of possibility for a single coding cowboy though.

BL4Z3D247
September 8th, 2006, 06:28
Everything is posible. We have GBA at almost full speed dont we.
yup, everything is possible :)...look at downgrading it was once said to be impossible, now we have a 2.71 D/Ger...look at the N64 emu it was once said to be impossible, now mario 64 is nearly perfect(along with some other games)...custom firmware...devhook...mp3's played on the XMB...hopefully a PS1 emu :o...and yes as Acidburn said a fullspeed GBA emu :eek:...so nothing is impossible

KenshinKajima
September 9th, 2006, 01:38
It's possible. Nothing is impossible. If we had insider secrets and a whole team, it could be accomplished.
XBOX 360 EMULATOR FTW!!!!

Am i the only one that thinks its ironic that windows ce's abreviation is wince???

BrooksyX
September 9th, 2006, 02:03
I wonder why ID software didnt try and bring Quake 2 and quake 3 to psp, I dont really think that it would even be that hard for them to port. They made doom and doom 2 for gba.

quzar
September 9th, 2006, 02:08
Quake 3 is possible on the psp.

and the dreamcast is more powerful than the psp (for 3d gaming).