PDA

View Full Version : PS3 will not reach Europe until March

Darksaviour69
September 6th, 2006, 11:29
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced that the release date for PlayStation 3 in PAL territories has been pushed back until March 2007.

In an official statement, Sony said the decision to revise the launch date was taken following "the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PlayStation 3."

Consumers in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa and Australasia will now have to wait until March to get their hands on a PS3. However, the console is still on track to launch in Japan on November 11 and in North America on November 17. Sony still plans to ship 6 million PS3 units globally before the end of the 2007 fiscal year.

Blue laser diodes are a key component of the PS3's Blu-Ray drive. Rumours of a shortage began to emerge just days ago, with reports suggesting that Sony had suspended shipment of the diodes to customers making standalone Blu-Ray players - but it would seem that wasn't enough to ensure there would be enough consoles to go round in November.

Sony's plans for a global launch in November were first announced by Ken Kutaragi back in March. The announcement came as a surprise to many industry observers who had predicted a staggered release schedule and a 2007 launch date for Europe - but at E3, SCEA president Kaz Hirai confirmed November release dates for all three territories.

News of the delay will no doubt please executives at Microsoft, which managed to pull off a global launch of the Xbox 360 last year. There were problems with hardware shortages but last month, Microsoft Europe boss Chris Lewis pledged that there will be no shortfall this Christmas - and with only the Nintendo Wii to compete against, MS could be set to clean up.

really did anyone think it was comming out this year in europe?

Dementia7
September 6th, 2006, 11:34
wow..that REALY has to suck for anyone in europe or australia..REALY ..gotta suck. oh well, they can always buy em over seas..can they?

Uruz 6
September 6th, 2006, 11:36
Whetever.

PSPages
September 6th, 2006, 11:37
really did anyone think it was comming out this year in europe?

I have said all along, they will find some way or another to screw us out of the "global release" they originally claimed.

Gamers in Europe always seem to get the short fall of things and get everything last. It is more than a bit annoying that Sony dont see the UK and Europe as an equal market to Japan and the US.

TCLCloud
September 6th, 2006, 11:40
Im suprised its only March, still, im sure they'll be lots more to complain about when it fianlly comes out....

Kramer
September 6th, 2006, 11:40
lol glad im not getting a ps3 anymore this would be piss me off.

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 11:41
Say hello to £1000 PS3's on Ebay this Christmas

doof69
September 6th, 2006, 11:41
i new this would happen...typical sony. This makes me really mad. I think i wont be able to handle the wait and have to go buy a xbox 360 instead :)

Dementia7
September 6th, 2006, 11:43
1000?? well i guese if u wanted one THAT bad you should go for it. i would.

Uruz 6
September 6th, 2006, 11:45
Guess I have time for a 360 and Wii now :)

Baboon
September 6th, 2006, 11:45
This information was just broadcast on BBC Radio 1! ...Gutted, no PS3 till next year! :mad:

I haven’t bought a xbox360 cause I was holding out for the PS3, and now I hear this shite news. I guess the only way to get one this year would be to import (and probably pay silly prices for the privilege).

I might even go for Nintendos new toy now instead (its seems a bargain price for a next gen console).

Boooo to Sony! :(

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 11:50
Seriously no one is going to be able to get hold of one in America or Japan anyway because of lack of supply so why screw over the PAL region?

dejkirkby
September 6th, 2006, 11:50
I'm officially giving up on PS3. I'm going for a Wii. Third is at least the 3rd delay (that I've heard of) and i've had enough of Sony screwing Europe over whenever they have "mass production problems".
$ony Sux!

mr_nick666
September 6th, 2006, 11:55
$ony have really screwed the pooch on this one and its going to hit them in the pockets... They're losing potential customers all the time to the XBOX360 - Christmas is going to be a Micro$oft cleanup too.. Do they think 'Little Johnny' is going to wait until next year for his next-gen console?? He wants it now and the XBOX360 is sat there beckoning him from the shelf! :eek: I sense another Betamax for $ony... :rolleyes:

Darksaviour69
September 6th, 2006, 12:07
I haven’t bought a xbox360 cause I was holding out for the PS3

that was sony's plan from the start! when the xbox360 was launch, the ps3 was to be lanched in spring, comes up to spring and its nov! Sept and its march? so its starts from 3-4months after the 360, to 16+ months after the 360. sony are full of BS!

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 12:08
Anyone else having trouble looking at the details on the Euro PS3 site?

http://eu.playstation.com/ps3/

At the moment I cant look at anything other than the front page. Those web developers must be beavering away changing everything from the November details.....

geise69
September 6th, 2006, 12:09
I still have my BetaHiFi. (better version than the Betamax and more expensive at the time) It really was better quality than vhs. The thing was it's just like the ps3 is going to be. To expensive and not enough distribution. I don't know how many people I've heard say "Man, for that price I can get a XBOX360 AND a Wii or the same price and still have enough for a game." I was all about the ps3 as well till all this stuff started happening. Also with a shortage of Blue Ray parts I don't understand why it wouldn't affect the US or japanese launch. I guess they're using as many blue ray diodes or whatever that they can just to supply japan and the US this November. That really sucks for Europe. Sony needs to get their head out of their ass and start being more serious when it comes to Europe and the gaming market.

Darksaviour69
September 6th, 2006, 12:13
I bet EA and Konami are laughing all the way to the bank, MS threw a shed load of cash at them to keep FIFA and Pro Evo away from the PS3 for xmas and there was no need

irongiant
September 6th, 2006, 12:21
The only good thing about all this crap is that the euro launch games have an extra few months now to really be polished and we should get the best games at launch including Heavenly Sword.

This wouldn't have been so bad if they'd have just admitted a long time ago that a simultaneous worldwide release wasn't possible.

Pisses me off that they can't give europe 100,000 like they have Japan. Or even some a few weeks later in December.

Rocksil
September 6th, 2006, 12:22
wtf is sony doin. anyway wii cumin out this christmas(i hope) but sony "WHY"

MikeDX
September 6th, 2006, 12:23
Uk = owned
sony = gays

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 12:23
There is another side to this, now that Nintendo have no launch competition in Europe and retailers will also suffer over christmas there's nothing preventing the Wii's launch price from being inflated..... :(

WilDThraxter
September 6th, 2006, 12:27
Cant say im surprised. This is typical $ony. I used to be a big PS fan, but all theyve done is drive me away with their inferior products.
The XBOX and the XBOX 360 have been the two greatest products in gaming history IMHO. Ive had my 360 since launch, Been an avid xbox ??live-er?? and not had a singe problem. Microsoft seem to treat gamers with dignety. Look at all the E3 stuff they put on the market place for us :)

!!!360 ALL THE WAY!!!

SSaxdude
September 6th, 2006, 12:34
This will only lead to more 360 and Wii sales.

Veskgar
September 6th, 2006, 12:35
WOW! That sucks.

Sony's not doing too good with their release dates. Everything seems to get pushed back and delayed.

Come on SONY, stop putting the extra man hours into coding that homebrew-proof PSP firmware and start making more PS3's.

Owell, I'm glad I live in the U.S.A.

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 12:40
The only good thing about all this crap is that the euro launch games have an extra few months now to really be polished and we should get the best games at launch including Heavenly Sword.

This wouldn't have been so bad if they'd have just admitted a long time ago that a simultaneous worldwide release wasn't possible.

Pisses me off that they can't give europe 100,000 like they have Japan. Or even some a few weeks later in December.

Possibly, Heavenly sword already won't make the November PS3 launch date, add at least three months onto its "Q4" launch date for "localisation" you might be lucky and get it at Euro launch.

elven
September 6th, 2006, 12:46
I do not like M$ so I decided that I will not buy x360... but now i don't like Sony more than M$ so... or maybe just buy Wii and wait till 2008 for Sony? ;)

aries2k4
September 6th, 2006, 13:03
Man, this sucks.
I think $ony is cutting off their own feet.
Like many people have said, screw $ony I´m getting a x-box and a Wii.

Hungry Horace
September 6th, 2006, 13:23
lol... just seen this reported on the BBC News!

silly of Sony imho, and hardly surprising, but still disapointing for those who have been waiting. (not me - it'll be too expensive anyway!)

i would wait rather than getting a 360 or Wii myself. I never understand people "filling the gap".... it seems like pouring money down the drain to me.

irongiant
September 6th, 2006, 13:29
Possibly, Heavenly sword already won't make the November PS3 launch date, add at least three months onto its "Q4" launch date for "localisation" you might be lucky and get it at Euro launch.

Heavenly Sword had already been announced as being pushed back to March 07 before the PS3 delay was official.

Anger
September 6th, 2006, 13:53
nice to see sony cares for us europeans.
the screw us every way they can - we pay the most and now we get it last as well. and they will be wondering why there sales are so poor. and for those that say but its because of the laser diode shortage i say why choose europe over other regions then?
sony can go to hell - they aint getting any more of my cash.

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 13:55
Heavenly Sword had already been announced as being pushed back to March 07 before the PS3 delay was official.

OK I stand corrected March 2007 + a 3 month "Localisation" period. :P

slayer2psp
September 6th, 2006, 14:10
nice to see sony cares for us europeans.
the screw us every way they can - we pay the most and now we get it last as well. and they will be wondering why there sales are so poor. and for those that say but its because of the laser diode shortage i say why choose europe over other regions then?
sony can go to hell - they aint getting any more of my cash. i feel you man you guys in eur region should just buy wiis and 360s that will show the basterds. and how is this a suprise they cant even get there stand alone bluray players out

inlovewithi
September 6th, 2006, 14:21
Sony. That company they lie and mislead. I only have a psp for emulation. Don't buy a system just because of a name. What is it about the name Sony that makes people pay extra for something cheaply made?

Anger
September 6th, 2006, 14:33
i have already made plans to get a second hand 360 and of course i will probably buy the wii when it comes out if its at the price they were claiming. :D

AIM-9|Sidewinder
September 6th, 2006, 14:33
This doesn't bother me 1 bit , Im glad i don't get one from the first batch - look at psp - Dead pixel's etc... , I bet first batch of blu-ray drives in ps3 will go wrong! or something like that. Also give's me more time to save up enough money for it and get loads of games. :)

benn
September 6th, 2006, 14:40
[QUOTE=AIM-9|Also give's me more time to save up enough money for it and get loads of games. :)[/QUOTE]

jeez, fanboy or faker!

i was holding out to get one. even had one preordered.
i was big time xbox fan but have not been amazed by 360 and thought i could wait.
now i have no choice if i want to be playing the new shit at xmas.
i was always going to get the Wii. i am not even a fan of nintendo but it really does look like it will be something special.
i am now just going to get the 360.
why wait til march? and then they may still only launch 100K so they may not be on general sale til June.
**** that.
its a shame really as all they have done is shot themselves in the foot. they have given Xmas to MS and Nintendo.
yet again, this all points to the MASSIVE EGO of sony, where they think they can do whatever they want and not have to worry cos people will buy anyway.
i tell you now, that come March 07, when i already have a Wii and 360 it is going to take something HUGE for me to shell out £500 ($900) for a PS3.

benn
September 6th, 2006, 14:45
HOLY CRAP...

they knew all along:

MS moved Gears of War to Nov to face PS3 launch.
Halo 3 was touted by MS as March 07
MS did not pay EA and Konami money for exclusive launch - maybe they just put a spin on it knowing that there would be no PS3's this xmas and so EA and Konami decided to release the games after Xmas when there was a bigger market share? lol

gamesquest1
September 6th, 2006, 14:45
yeah i reckon they never had any intensions and didnt know when it would be ready so they just been giving dates just within waiting period so people dont just but a xbox 360 hoping for everyone to have saved up even more in that time so they can grease there sweaty palms with as much cash as possible.......this is what you get for using thechnology that isnt even in existance for you cosoles , isnt it obviouse there will be unseen problems. well i dont care i gonna get a second hand one cus sony dont get any money of the sale of that :P

OH and ISO's Rule.....just wanna piss sony off like they pissed me off :P

Gray Fox
September 6th, 2006, 14:57
Haha must suck for the game shops in europe since I noticed theyve been taking preorders promising people who preordered it then, and now a delay? lol still sucks though...

dmac
September 6th, 2006, 15:04
Sorry to hear about that. Where I live suppy doesn't seem ever to be a problem. I am in Nova Scotia, Canada and the Wal-mart here always seems to have enough. We are a small population here and with the high costs people just seem not so fast to buy here. I should be able to get the PS3 on November 17th. Wish I could pick one up for all of you. Why are they so different anyway? Why can't the same PS3 work everywhere. Are Europe TV's that different?

tallica
September 6th, 2006, 15:04
F*CK!!!!! I wanted to get one for christmas.

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 15:05
Haha must suck for the game shops in europe since I noticed theyve been taking preorders promising people who preordered it then, and now a delay? lol still sucks though...

Not just Europe, see the latest news only 400,000 PS3 at launch for the US, and 100,00 for Japan.

Think of those people who have completed the "FreePS3" style offer based sites......

alienator
September 6th, 2006, 15:09
shit happends, but this way i can save some money for my hdtv and a ps3.
already have a xbox360... and a gamecube, dreamcast and ps2/psp... sofar, of all next gen consoles, the Cube1.5 , sorry i mean Wii, looks like the most overhyped piece of not-next gen hardware i have ever seen. Those who have played with something like a GUNCON know your arms will grow tired after 20 minutes of aiming at the tv.. Proof me wrong nintendo.. proof me wrong..

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 15:09
Sorry to hear about that. Where I live suppy doesn't seem ever to be a problem. I am in Nova Scotia, Canada and the Wal-mart here always seems to have enough. We are a small population here and with the high costs people just seem not so fast to buy here. I should be able to get the PS3 on November 17th. Wish I could pick one up for all of you. Why are they so different anyway? Why can't the same PS3 work everywhere. Are Europe TV's that different?

We have slightly more detailed (taller) pictures that refresh at the lower rate of 50 times a second. however most new tv sets have a PAL 60 mode that can display 60hz input and High Definition TV's should bring a type of uniformity across all regions. The games are region free so the only main difference will be that Blue ray movies have region protection rather like DVD's.

Accordion
September 6th, 2006, 15:14
anyone that didnt think this would happen was kidding themselves…and actually im happy to wait…sort of…ill never buy a microsoft product ever, but the Wii might be good for a few months, it depends on the 3rd party support…not nintendos strong point

irongiant
September 6th, 2006, 15:50
anyone that didnt think this would happen was kidding themselves…and actually im happy to wait…sort of…ill never buy a microsoft product ever, but the Wii might be good for a few months, it depends on the 3rd party support…not nintendos strong point

True enough.. anyone who 'really' ever wanted a PS3 will be happy to wait. The games have extra time to be optimized and any hardware glitches should be ironed out. In some ways we're gonna be better off with a delayed launch.

The only thing Sony are actually guilty of here is not making this public sooner, of course they wanted a global launch but if there are manufacturing delays then so be it. Tell you something though, anyone hoping for a price cut on the 360 this year is now hoping in vain!

So would you rather wait and get a better product and games or would you be happy with a few hundred thousand for europe and the ludicrous Ebay price hiking that went on with the 360 launch???

dejkirkby
September 6th, 2006, 16:01
True enough.. anyone who 'really' ever wanted a PS3 will be happy to wait. The games have extra time to be optimized and any hardware glitches should be ironed out. In some ways we're gonna be better off with a delayed launch.

Not true... I really, really wanted a PS3, and was excited about getting one in Spring, then Summer, then Christmas, but this is literally the straw that breaks the camels back.

muffinman
September 6th, 2006, 16:20
this sucks i wonder how many we'll actually get come march.

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 16:22
I'm feeling slightly better by the fact that the US only get 400,000 units at launch, now near to noone can get hold of them!

Welcome to $2000 PS3's on Ebay.com!

masterpaul
September 6th, 2006, 16:23
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/mcdrye/San%20Andreas%20Today/SonySuckcopy.jpg

Says it all... Wii

Darksaviour69
September 6th, 2006, 16:32
lol

irongiant
September 6th, 2006, 16:36
Not true... I really, really wanted a PS3, and was excited about getting one in Spring, then Summer, then Christmas, but this is literally the straw that breaks the camels back.

Grow up man. Because it's delayed you now don't want one, so you no longer want to play the games that you wanted to play before? Rubbish. So you won't have one in November, big deal. Get a Wii or a 360 then and stop whining.

dejkirkby
September 6th, 2006, 16:42
Grow up man. Because it's delayed you now don't want one, so you no longer want to play the games that you wanted to play before? Rubbish. So you won't have one in November, big deal. Get a Wii or a 360 then and stop whining.
Grow up?? I'm not being funny, but if you want to be a sony sheep then fine. But don't go insulting me. I didn't insult you, I just commented on your "opinion". I'm getting a Wii, FYI, and if you like taking the Sony shaft then be my guest. But don't berate me for being pissed off with Sony.

tisti
September 6th, 2006, 17:12

I'm thinking you were saying the same thing in January? ;)

irongiant
September 6th, 2006, 17:53
Grow up?? I'm not being funny, but if you want to be a sony sheep then fine. But don't go insulting me. I didn't insult you, I just commented on your "opinion". I'm getting a Wii, FYI, and if you like taking the Sony shaft then be my guest. But don't berate me for being pissed off with Sony.

Im no sheep pal i don't care who makes the consoles as long as the games are good but i do realise that Sony delaying the launch of a console isn't the end of the world.. "straw that broke the camels back"? you really should get out more.

January? maybe, at least we'll see how the US and Japan launches go and the games!

Facho
September 6th, 2006, 19:24
Disappointment. But probably, Sony will be losing in the end, more than the consumer.

tisti
September 7th, 2006, 05:56
Im no sheep pal i don't care who makes the consoles as long as the games are good but i do realise that Sony delaying the launch of a console isn't the end of the world.. "straw that broke the camels back"? you really should get out more.

January? maybe, at least we'll see how the US and Japan launches go and the games!

I see you can't read. WERE SAYING in January, as in January 2006 ;)