PDA

View Full Version : UMD possibilities

alseides
November 4th, 2004, 12:31
Sony has said that the UMD will not be writable, but I was just thinking of the chance that it could be. It is hard to say since no one has their hands on the hardware, but could there be any develpoment in the UMD format after it comes out to make it writable? With so much advancement in the console modding scene it is difficult to say something will not be possible.

Memory stick is good for relatively small files and saves, if there was an alternative (like UMD) that would truely make the PSP an all in one device.

If anyone has some insight on this subject I would like to hear it. Thanks.

wraggster
November 4th, 2004, 12:43
theres speculation that the usb port could be used for dev/homebrew

Shapyi
November 5th, 2004, 19:22
Actually it has be confirmed at IGN that the PSP uses the Memory Stick Duo Pro Magic Gate formated memory unit. It has support for sizes up to 1024 MB. Don't let the 32 MB fool you, there will be support for bigger sizes. Sony wants the PSP to be the next walkman, thats why they made the memory stick standardized.

We will not see UMD writers though.

alseides
November 6th, 2004, 17:09
Yea, I am familiar with Sony's Memory Stick and their capacities. Becoming the "next walkman" will take much more than a 1gig stick. Considering the price of the Memory Stick at those capacities, I would rather buy a different device if I wanted a Walkman.

When I was asking about writing to UMD, I wasn't talking about any official stuff, since Sony has already stated that writing will not be available.

I was curious about any workarounds/third party/modifications (that would probably make Sony very unhappy) so it can be possible to allow writing. It is a little far fetched, but I was just wondering about the possibilites.

Shapyi
November 6th, 2004, 21:29
The term Universal Media Device is really kind of stupid because its not Universal in any aspect. We aren't talking about backing up a DVD here. If someone ripped off Sony's UMD they would be sued so badly.

krowstrife
November 7th, 2004, 10:39
they are going to make movies and music for umd
like cd and dvd
and with a 1 gig stick that just shout playstation emulator
yeah