PDA

View Full Version : Sony cuts PS3 shipments in half

Darksaviour69
September 6th, 2006, 15:42
Ken Kutaragi, president of SCEI, revealed the reduced numbers following the news that Europe would not see the release of the PlayStation 3 until March 2007.

According to Kutaragi’s statement, only 400,000 consoles will be available at day one in the US, with around 100,000 units for the Japanese launch.

The reduced numbers are in line with Kuturagi’s comments from May of this year, where he stated two million PS3 units “is a number we announced having made sure we can definitely prepare it.”

However the reduction of the figure to two million units is in contrast to a Sony statement made last month suggesting the shipment figures would indeed reach four million by the end of the year.

Source:gamesindustry.biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19507)

thanks to tsurumaru for the news

Offbeat Bareass
September 6th, 2006, 17:09
100,000 for Japan????

Oh, that can't be good. Those will sell out instantly over there.

ACID
September 6th, 2006, 17:12
Why so much more for the USA. I mean great it benefits me but normally we are the last to get everything developed by Sony or Nintendo. So i see they are probably going to break a record bi selling those 100,000 copy's in japan in seconds.

Offbeat Bareass
September 6th, 2006, 17:28
Why so much more for the USA. I mean great it benefits me but normally we are the last to get everything developed by Sony or Nintendo. So i see they are probably going to break a record bi selling those 100,000 copy's in japan in seconds.

And seconds later they'll have an angry mob running through Tokyo looking for more systems.

Darksaviour69
September 6th, 2006, 17:44
the USA is the biggest single market

Offbeat Bareass
September 6th, 2006, 17:57
Sounds like the Xbox360 launch all over again.
I didn't get mine until the end of December last year.

I would get a PS3 this year, but I just can't afford it.

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 18:13
the USA is the biggest single market

Other speculation has been that the US will be at the forefront of the HD-DVD and Blue Ray battle and therefore Sony are deperate to put their best showing there.