PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft blames PS3 delay on "unproven technology"

wraggster
September 6th, 2006, 17:56
Thompson says decision to move launch date is "not surprising"

Xbox UK boss Neil Thompson has told GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft is not surprised Sony has "backed away" from its commitment to a global launch for PlayStation 3.

"We know how challenging it is to pull off a global launch, so it's not surprising that Sony has backed away from their previously announced launch plan, due to the unproven technology they are trying to pack in to their console," he said.

Microsoft brought Xbox 360 to market in Europe, Japan and North America late last year, pulling off a simultaneous global launch - although hardware shortages did follow. With the PS3 delayed until March, MS now faces one less competitor this Christmas; but according to Thompson, that will make little difference to the success of Xbox 360.

"Europe remains a priority for us. That is why gamers have been able to experience Xbox 360 from day one, and why we're confident we're going to have a great Christmas - regardless of what competitors are or are not in the market," he stated.

Thompson went on to observe that Xbox 360 owners will have more than 160 software titles to choose from, with the likes of Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and FIFA 2007 due out in time for Christmas.

In addition, Thompson continued, Xbox 360 offers "a growing and innovating online gaming service, fantastic entertainment capabilities, optional HD-DVD capability and a great value price".

He concluded, "These factors will help us reach our goal of 10 million consoles sold worldwide by the end of the year."

tsurumaru
September 6th, 2006, 18:18
I think even Microsoft are allowed to gloat at today's PS3 news, especially considering the flak they took from Sony at the Xbox 360 launch.

markymark1
September 7th, 2006, 08:34
Just goes to show that Sony arent as strong as they think they are!

Yeah i know that the 360 has had alot of firmware updates and there were alot of complaints but has it not come thru now and triumphed?

Even tho Sony has pushed the release date back, i still think it will go thru the same process as the 360 of updates. Like hackers for windows, i think theyre just getting ready to riddle holes into the ps3 like swiss cheese.

SmashinGit
September 7th, 2006, 09:35
Bad news for Sony and the Playstation brand. I still think it will be succesfull but this can only help Microsoft.

randygland
September 7th, 2006, 12:47
this is great news for sony,,, bad news for us.. bahhh,,, xbox360 sux.,, pc gamin still the only way tbh,, Atleast until the nintendo wee wee :)

markymark1
September 7th, 2006, 14:57
i agree with u randy to an extent, i think 1st person shooting games are so much more better on the pc, only because u have a mouse. if the console wars can develop something to better it then thats great, even greater accuracy and more heads rolling :p

tsurumaru
September 7th, 2006, 15:23
i agree with u randy to an extent, i think 1st person shooting games are so much more better on the pc, only because u have a mouse. if the console wars can develop something to better it then thats great, even greater accuracy and more heads rolling :p

Microsoft have already said they are looking into a special FPS controller for those too hardcore to use the standard controller. (Possibly mouse/trackball related)

tsurumaru
September 7th, 2006, 16:23
Whoops double post, sorry!