PDA

View Full Version : No 1080p For PS3 Games

wraggster
September 6th, 2006, 19:42
According to Sony, the official US PlayStation 3 site's caveat that the HDMI connection is required for 1080p signals in Blu-ray movies is fallout from uncertainty over the Image Constraint Token - a next-generation anti-piracy measure.
Sony has made an issue of pointing out that 1080p, which the Xbox 360 is incapable of, is the Holy Grail of "full HD". As it stands now, the only game that is running in 1080p, said Fargher, is Gran Turismo HD - a tech demo crafted by Polyphony to showcase what the system is capable of.

This is in line with our earlier report, where a development source told Kikizo that, "even with [final hardware] in mind, reaching good frame rates at 1080p with next-gen graphics is almost impossible. Instead many developers, ourselves included, are reworking so they run at 720p. "

In other words, movies will play at 1080p. Games won't, and maybe never will. Not that this is really new, but it's always distressing to have the obvious reiterated officially.

K.L.
September 6th, 2006, 19:59
Some games WILL run in 1080p, but not with 60fps. It'll be more like 30 FPS in 1080p.

geise69
September 6th, 2006, 20:22
God, it's like one bomb after another for Sony. I'm glad I decided not to get a PS3 back when the price was announced. It's a shame really cause sony "had" something good on their hands. I think this system is the end of the Sony reign. I wish it would just get back to sega and nintendo at the helm of the console war. At least we have nintendo doing something right. So long Sony, nice knowing you.

iniquitous_beast
September 6th, 2006, 22:49
Oh how nostalgia taints our memories...

Sega made their share of pitiful mistakes; and Nintendo were some real *******s when they were top dog.

Nintendo eventually got too greedy; and thus the Playstation was born.

Basically, geise69, it doesn't matter who is "at the helm of the console war". Being on top too long will make any great company go stale and uncreative.

What I mean is that there are no bad guys in the console war. I hope nintendo can gain back all that they have lost, just as much as I hope that Sony survives all the harm that it is preparing to cause itself.

I do appreciate the irony, however, of Sony's inflated claims coming back to bite them one-by-one.

Cooe14
September 6th, 2006, 23:20
All I have got to say the sony fanboys is OWNED!

IndianCheese
September 7th, 2006, 00:00
Oh pewp. Doesn't really matter, being that I don't have an HDTV.

Video_freak
September 7th, 2006, 00:03
I don't own a HD TV, so I don't give a crap. I've known that games wouldn't run at 1080p for a while because of the high development costs ($100+ per game to buy).

donne
September 7th, 2006, 01:49
I have no slightess idea of what's a 1080p and a 720p.. And what about regular CRT TV or PC Monitor.. Someone willing to explain ?

Not Sega.. no.. Don't you remember Sega/Nintendo War ? That SegaCD.. sucks. That 32x.. Sucks. Even Saturn is a halfling 3D machine. Imho, if somewhat Nintendo won yesteryear war with N64.. chance is we only get a DVD-based console today.. Not 5 years ago..

Pumped'Up
September 7th, 2006, 02:03
I would say that no games initially for the first 1-2 years will support 1080p, but man, it better start after the 3rd year or so when 1080p becomes the standard on all HDTVs.

I really hope this isn't true, since Sony's PS3 is in it for the long haul...10 years is an eternity in the tech industry!!!

iniquitous_beast
September 7th, 2006, 06:46
Like hell...I can't see 1080p becoming the standard anytime soon. It will be much longer than 3 years.

The way I see it, 720p tv's are finally becoming remotely affordable (around $500) for the average american. Those, I believe will become the "new standard". while 1080p will remain a resolution for AV enthusiasts and people with huge-ass screens.

I could be wrong, but probably not.

ACID
September 7th, 2006, 06:49
So the rain of nintendo will bigging again

pibs
September 7th, 2006, 07:47
o well, as long as sonya doesn't have us upgrading ps3 firmwares and all that nonsense like with the psp ill buy it

markymark1
September 7th, 2006, 08:45
I dont think that is the end of the ps3, it seems everyone is under estimating sony. dont under estimate the power of the dark side(i own a 360 but i still think the ps3 is huge competition)
Sony just bought itself more time to test its hardware in more ways(so it doesnt have to go down the same route as the 360 and have firmware updates)
Sony is going to lose out on this massively, but i think they will come thru it in the end, whether they will be top i dont know but only time will tell!