PDA

View Full Version : 2.81 is out and 4GB limit on MS is out!

happy_mak
September 7th, 2006, 09:20
Just in case 1.5 PSP pwners feel at home with all the power in their hands, this one may make you
rethink!

The firmware 2.81 is launched officially on the Sony
PSP site in Japan and the main change it has in it is
that the 4 GB limit on memory stick is OFF.

This is a individual choice if once needs that above 4GB space or not (well , me not even afford it). But this one is going to bring in a new challenge to 1.5 owners who need that space. Figuring out how to read 4 GB+ sticks on 1.5

It was devhook till now, looks like diskhook or something is called for?

By the way has the TIFF exploit been patched in this one? Well i have not updated yet, maybe in a few hours i will. Will update the post

Breaking Info from b8a (Dcemu Translator) of the other new items:

2) With "ATRAC" files which have been protected in SonicStage and then saved to Memory Stick PRO Duo, the protection management data becomes corrupted, and become unable to be played back

3) Memory Stick PRO Duo media which have been formatted from either the PSP or a Memory Stick formatter are recognized as unformatted media when connecting the PSP to a PC with the USB cable

2.81 URL
http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/support/sp_20060907_ms.html

Discuss Via Comments

Veskgar
September 7th, 2006, 12:31
Just in case 1.5 PSP pwners feel at home with
all the power in their hands, this one may make you
rethink!
What is there to rethink? You can't really believe that this update is going to make 1.50 users tempted to throw it all away.

Well i have not updated yet, maybe in a few hours i will.
Why the hell would you do that? :confused:

I personally do need the extra space. However, I need the extra space due to the wealth of homebrew, EMU's, & Game Back-ups I use. If I upgraded, I would NOT need the extra space because most of the homebrew I use would not work.

A 4GB Ultra II PRO Duo should be sufficient for a while. Eventually I will hope that the upcoming 8GB sticks will work somehow. This is a step forward for SONY now. Opening up more storage possibilities to get ready for their PS1 EMU & download service.

hksrb25s14
September 7th, 2006, 12:39
lol, I'm sticking with 1.50 , but that extra space with be nice but very $$$$ I spent an arm and leg for the 4gig, and I think thats good enuff.

razorak
September 7th, 2006, 12:39
i wonder if hacked version of their modified PSX games will surface....

Nikolaos
September 7th, 2006, 12:42
Well its obvious those *******s fixed the exploit lol.

Baboon
September 7th, 2006, 12:44
Well I've only just ordered my sandisk 4GB card (after my datel HD suddenly died on me), but this is a step in the right direction from Sony.

It will be a great day if we can figure out a way to get 4GB+ to work on 1.5's.

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmm... 8 gb of home brew! :)

mr_nick666
September 7th, 2006, 12:48
i wonder if hacked version of their modified PSX games will surface....

Hoping there will be some way to emulate them on 1.5 - given time Im sure there will be! :p

I personally do need the extra space. However, I need the extra space due to the wealth of homebrew, EMU's, & Game Back-ups I use. If I upgraded, I would NOT need the extra space because most of the homebrew I use would not work.

/\ /\ Exactly! :eek: Its why $ony wont win.. 1.5 forever! :D

razorak
September 7th, 2006, 12:53
if they could really hack the PSX games, it may be an opening for homebrew....like an eloader in the form of a faked(?) psx game? i'm pretty sure PSX games have saves too...lol. Or better still convert eboots to be able to run on the PSX emu :D

i'm thinking too far...lol I'm definitely a victim of wild imagination

fistikuffs
September 7th, 2006, 13:15
Oh no! Will i be limited to only 4gigs of homebrew emus and roms? Boo hoo what will i do? It's a tradegy...:( :( :(

siulmagic
September 7th, 2006, 13:24
hmm eny one now the website of the new diskhook(devhook) been trying to fnd it but no luck so far

caseyhalone
September 7th, 2006, 13:28
dude, they released the morning after we got 2.8 cracked? lol sony IS watching us!

Briggzy11
September 7th, 2006, 13:32
haha nah it was released before 2.80 was hacked

The tiff may still work however...the only way it shoudnt work is if they remove tiff support

psiko_scweek
September 7th, 2006, 13:39
i doubt they will remove TIFF support. But i think that the TIFF flaw will be patched though. Apple Mac Os X has already patched the same flaw.

amadeus
September 7th, 2006, 13:41
Would be nice if we could start using mini hardives.

8gb sticks just too expensive

yakumo
September 7th, 2006, 13:53
I think that Sony is playing well with their updates. They tempt giving us new feautres with each update, but for this one I think that still theres no need to update. I think 4GB is enough for having many hombrews, and affording a >4GB memory is not in many user hands. By the time a >4GB is affordable, maybe a new exploit is found, so I would not update. I did not update even my 1.00 ^_^.

Veskgar
September 7th, 2006, 14:02
Would be nice if we could start using mini hardives.
Yeah, if the PSP could be plugged into a spacious portable mini HDD for easy back/forth data transfer or even real-time streaming it would be very convenient.

scottyboynow
September 7th, 2006, 14:13
It says On The Update System Vulnerability Patches :-P

b8a
September 7th, 2006, 14:15
They actually claim to have fixed a few Memory Stick related problems in addition to abolishing the 4MB limit:

2) With "ATRAC" files which have been protected in SonicStage and then saved to Memory Stick PRO Duo, the protection management data becomes corrupted, and become unable to be played back

3) Memory Stick PRO Duo media which have been formatted from either the PSP or a Memory Stick formatter are recognized as unformatted media when connecting the PSP to a PC with the USB cable
Not many people'll care about the ATRAC stuff, but I do think quite a few people would be excited by the PC related fix. That's a pretty common problem.

Edshugeo
September 7th, 2006, 14:22
Worth repeating:

So basically it's an upgrade that benefits nobody. If you don't use homebrew, you don't really need anything larger than a gig or two. The (official) PSone emu isn't due for a couple of months, and new games requiring the update probably won't surface for another six weeks.

Forever~Zero
September 7th, 2006, 14:22
I dont think anyone at such a high firmware would need so much memory. Even my 2gig is enough for now.

Uruz 6
September 7th, 2006, 14:25
Right, who needs 8GB anyway?
I'll buy a 4GB soon and that will be MORE than enough.

jerrt
September 7th, 2006, 14:34
i wouldn't mind haveing 8 gigs. then i could have entire collections of roms from gensis and others. but my 4 gig card will do me just fine. [:

also, i found this funny, the same program that decrypts 2.8 can decrypt 2.81. looks like we might see a 2.82 before we see the next major update. [:

.abc.
September 7th, 2006, 14:42
spanish forever

dark_alex desencripted 2.81 is = ok

inlovewithi
September 7th, 2006, 14:43
I have a 1gb and a 4gb. All of my emus and roms take up like 400mb, and you know what? I'm done. I have so many goddam games, I'm so overwhelmed by them. I recentely put my psp away, because it's just stressing me out. No more psp for me. 8gb is just too much.

Fanjita
September 7th, 2006, 15:01
Despite what this article says:

- The TIFF exploit is fixed in 2.81. That appears to be the only change of any substance.

- The 4GB+ fix was in 2.80, not 2.81.

EDIT: My mistake, it seems I was reading a bad translation. Consensus is that the 4GB fix is indeed in 2.81.

firedragon_jing
September 7th, 2006, 15:06

- The TIFF exploit is fixed in 2.81. That appears to be the only change of any substance.

Why wasn't the 4gb+ fix noted then when 2.80 came out instead of just talking about the VIDEO folder?

Anyways, then we don't need 2.81 emulation, 2.80 should be just fine unless the newer games need 2.81, which I doubt...

Uruz 6
September 7th, 2006, 15:25

Since 8Gb MS are not out yet and we can't test it maybe they thought:
"hmm let's keep it for rainy days - maybe we'll get to the point where we won't have any more excuses to make them upgrade, so we just give them the security upgrade and say: support for 8GB is here!!":D

SmashinGit
September 7th, 2006, 15:29
My 2gb stick is only half full, whats the point in filling it up with tons of roms when you can only play 1 game at a time?

Mew
September 7th, 2006, 15:36
Where's the problem?
Isn't there any chance to make a Custom 1.5 Firmware with no 4GB limit?!

jinqui242
September 7th, 2006, 15:38
I bring a 2 GB and 1 GB with me on trips. I fill it with enough emulators and music to keep me busy. Even then, I find that I don't use half of the stuff I put on there. 8 GB might be good for extremely long driving trips (where I'm not driving obviously), but I don't see using that much.

bah
September 7th, 2006, 16:06
Thank goodness sony are kind enough to protect their users from enjoying the full capabilities of the console they paid for with these fantastic security updates.

I feel safe and warm at night just knowing they care.

kando
September 7th, 2006, 16:35
also, i found this funny, the same program that decrypts 2.8 can decrypt 2.81. looks like we might see a 2.82 before we see the next major update. [:

AAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
HA HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH

SONY = PWNEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD yet AGAIN!

/rolling

cureo
September 7th, 2006, 16:45
hmm eny one now the website of the new diskhook(devhook) been trying to fnd it but no luck so far

d00d, he was making a joke, there is no such thing

F9zDark
September 7th, 2006, 17:05
By the way has the TIFF exploit been patched in this one? Well i have not updated yet, maybe in a few hours i will. Will update the post

Why update? I gurantee, if the 4gb limit is done for, within a week someone would have decrypted the firmware, found the code responsible and made a 1.50 custom firmware capable of the same thing.

Seriously man, just wait and see what the future brings.

b8a
September 7th, 2006, 17:06
Just to clear up any possible confusion, about that translation that was copied into the first post (thanks for the credit): Those are issues that have been addressed in this update, not issues that have cropped up due to it. (With just the portion that was copy/pasted, it's easy to take that out of context)

pkmusicmaker
September 7th, 2006, 17:10
Is there even a mem stick bigger than 4gb out there?

F9zDark
September 7th, 2006, 17:13
I am surprised Sony didn't outline that in the 2.80 update if that is indeed when 4gb+ debuted.

Also 4gbs may be good enough for games, but when people have the choice between an iPod that comes standard with 40GBs of space and a PSP that supports 4GBs but comes with a 32MB stick...

The days of the PSP becoming a true multimedia device are at hand. Now if Sony would just take their heads out of their ass of allow the PSP to play every media format without the need for conversion, they can easily start taking market share from iPod and other video and music players.

Baboon
September 7th, 2006, 17:16
Thank goodness sony are kind enough to protect their users from enjoying the full capabilities of the console they paid for with these fantastic security updates.

lol

haha... how true! :D

ExcruciationX
September 7th, 2006, 17:19
...Now if Sony would just take their heads out of their ass of allow the PSP to play every media format without the need for conversion, they can easily start taking market share from iPod and other video and music players.
Yep, it's so true!

ACID
September 7th, 2006, 17:35
I say hopes and dreams. I will stick with mi 1.50 and when theres a way to use a 8gb card with it then and only then will i happily buy one.

rock_light
September 7th, 2006, 17:59
Now hopefully this wont be intergrated into devhook untill we see some more games come out.
It seems that's the way the war works.
New fw comes out, followed by next release of games.
Then it gets hacked and bam. Games still in production seem to be slowed down and held back. Has there even been a reason to make a new devhook or has sony stopped booster from his work?

QueadlunnRau
September 7th, 2006, 18:12
This sound great!

I thought I would never fill my 4gb stick, but damn I was wrong ... cannot wait for someone here in the scene to crack this limitation for the 1.5 users.

The_It
September 7th, 2006, 19:53
I can't even find anymore stuff to fill up mi 1 gig memory stick since i don't use the music and the video parts of the psp .

BL4Z3D247
September 7th, 2006, 19:55
well 2.81 has been decrypted so we should see this devhook'd soon...hopefully :)

Basil Zero
September 7th, 2006, 20:25
I wont be buying any 4+ gb memory sticks anytime soon....than again...might never will, i'll stick with 2 gb and maybe another 2gb for music..lol

rtc0101
September 7th, 2006, 20:25
isnt there a HDD already from datel and external one with more than 4 GIG capacity? 80GIG PSP Bank woulnt it just be easier to get that? i wonder if devhook can read backed up games from it? if so id defenetly get it!

NoQuarter
September 7th, 2006, 21:17
I would love to see a mini harddrive we could insert into the umd slot:)
It should be possible to do with a simple memcard hack and a hole in the fake umd that prevents the psp from registering it as having a umd in the slot.
Much like the neo flash does,but just in the umd drive to keep the psp pretty.
Only bad thing would be the flat cable coming from the umd slot to memcard slot,maybe internal would work.
Datel's harddrive is just too ugly and bulky for my taste.
I'd love to have 80Gig harddrive space,probably cheaper than buying a memcards especially if they keep releasing larger ones for such high prices.
8 gig produo memcard were developed quite a while ago and were unreleased as part of sony's marketing IMHO.I believe that's why lower firmwares were unable to recognize sizes larger than 4gig.

V3N0M
September 7th, 2006, 21:43
I think custom firmware will solve the 4GB limit in time.

SSaxdude
September 7th, 2006, 21:45
Wow, this update is more pointless than that time I (insert typical Family Guy joke here.)

Veskgar
September 7th, 2006, 22:18
Now hopefully this wont be intergrated into devhook untill we see some more games come out.
You know what? This might be a better all around strategy. Strategically releasing updates to DevHook might be better. Since we don't currently NEED a new DevHok and only WANT one. Maybe its better that Booster & others are not revealing their full hand just yet in this hi-tech poker game!

Of course everyone is talking about wanting to emulate the big 3.0 firmware. This will no doubt be harder to do than current firmware so I think the events of the next 2 months will determine whether or not we get our wish.

Patience is key!

luis_05
September 7th, 2006, 23:51
alright players, correct me if im wrong....i dotn follow memory stick news cuz its expensive but ive saved money.....

I have a fw 1.5 psp, so reading the posts, i cannot pass 4gigs right?

NoQuarter
September 7th, 2006, 23:52
Nope not yet bro, but hopefully soon.

luis_05
September 7th, 2006, 23:54
thanks dude!! that freaking sucks but hopefully soon someone will find a way

NoQuarter
September 8th, 2006, 01:00
No prob.

VampDude
September 8th, 2006, 01:35
4gb is more than enough to store 8 or 9 movies, which not many people wanna actually store that many movies on a memory device thou...

...anyone moaning about the price of 4gb should checkout ebay for a psp 4gb hard drive (they're reletivly cheap) I got mine for £59.00 a month ago, the best thing i've got for my psp as it comes with a double capacity battery (6hrs) so not only did I get a good amount of memory I got a decent battery for longer gameplay!:D

shrimpidy
September 8th, 2006, 02:41
I'm not updating again unless something that is worth having finally appears in a firmware other than its requirement for the newest games.

M!ckeY
September 8th, 2006, 03:51
wow, 8GB...i still only have a 1GB :)

Edshugeo
September 8th, 2006, 04:03
Of course everyone is talking about wanting to emulate the big 3.0 firmware. This will no doubt be harder to do than current firmware

DRM will probably be introduced at that point, since paid downloads will likely be one of the features.

Sk8.4.Life
September 8th, 2006, 04:38
I'm not exactly sure why nobody is mentioning this, but the real reason you would want more than 4gigs is for movies... I mean hello?! What else takes up a shitload of room on PSP's besides full length movies or tv shows? Thats the real reason for having more room. There's not enough homebrew in the world to fill up 8gigs I bet. Mabye, if you have a copy of every game ever made or something >.>

stotheamuel
September 8th, 2006, 05:17
guys dont blame sony when their product gets hacked so they do this.. nor should you complain about the gb thing...? atleast its not like the 8gb stick was already out + sony obviously left it to 4gb to reduce piracy and now feal it is safe for some reason??? although it wasn't apparently lol

MaxSMoke
September 8th, 2006, 06:40
I would like to chime in and add my support for the "Who care's Camp". After all, without Homebrew, and the fun of You-Know-What (I -es-Oz), why would you want more then 4GB?? Watching long movies is still a pain on a PSP, since it has no kickstand built in.

Maybe, if there was a 20GB memory stick for *ALL* of my MP3's, then I might consider it as a replacement for my Harddrive MP3 player I currently use. Otherwise, there's just no use for alot of space.

Does anybody have a 20GB harddrive attachment in the wings for the PSP?!!

lucidtraveller
September 8th, 2006, 07:22
It will be a great day if we can figure out a way to get 4GB+ to work on 1.5's.

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmm... 8 gb of home brew! :)

it will happen too i bet ;)

vladiftodi
September 8th, 2006, 09:31
hey i dont understand that attrac think?

Baboon
September 8th, 2006, 10:03
4gb is more than enough to store 8 or 9 movies, which not many people wanna actually store that many movies on a memory device thou...

...anyone moaning about the price of 4gb should checkout ebay for a psp 4gb hard drive (they're reletivly cheap) I got mine for £59.00 a month ago, the best thing i've got for my psp as it comes with a double capacity battery (6hrs) so not only did I get a good amount of memory I got a decent battery for longer gameplay!:D

I also bought the HD about 4 months ago thinking it was a good (and relatively cheap) investment, but it recently decided to die on me for no reason...it just stopped reading from the HD and no longer connects! :(

The 2x battery is quite cool though, its just a shame its sticks so far out of the back of the PSP.

I also found that the HD is really, really slow...you wont notice it till you compare it to someone with a normal memory card - then try out any of the larger CPS2 gamesand you’ll see what I mean (it stutters so much it make the games unplayable).

You may have better luck than me, but I’ve read on quite a few other sites that the same thing has happened to other peeps too. :eek:

I’m all for 8gb memory cards though! ...bring it on! :D

Athlonman74
September 8th, 2006, 19:05
Don't forget guys. The Datel 4GB HDD is actually a microdrive. Using an 8 or 12G Microdrive or Compact Flash card will be useable hopefully on a hacked 1.5 firmware...I've already taken the thing apart a couple times...plan on replacing it with a 4GB Compact Flash, but might hold off now to see if I can get more space...Microdrives are damn slow though...

Veskgar
September 9th, 2006, 04:07
Well bottom line is that the PSP needs far greater storage options. It is an extremely functional multimedia device. I am still appalled at the lack of storage options for such a device.

VampDude
September 20th, 2006, 15:45
I also bought the HD about 4 months ago thinking it was a good (and relatively cheap) investment, but it recently decided to die on me for no reason...it just stopped reading from the HD and no longer connects! :(

The 2x battery is quite cool though, its just a shame its sticks so far out of the back of the PSP.

I also found that the HD is really, really slow...you wont notice it till you compare it to someone with a normal memory card - then try out any of the larger CPS2 gamesand you’ll see what I mean (it stutters so much it make the games unplayable).

You may have better luck than me, but I’ve read on quite a few other sites that the same thing has happened to other peeps too. :eek:

I’m all for 8gb memory cards though! ...bring it on! :D

the HD overheats when it's constantly reading data (movies/emulators/iso's etc), reason why your HD probably died (or burnt out)

I only use mine for gamesaves and the (6hr) battery for playing GTA:LCS and watching the odd movie or 2 when im out and about
(the HD+battery give the psp a good bulky grip)

ACID
September 20th, 2006, 15:53
Hd also makes your PSP look prehistoric:D

VampDude
September 20th, 2006, 17:27
Hd also makes your PSP look prehistoric:D

lol, I know...

...but the psp doesnt feel right being so slim, I like the chunky-ness of the HD thou cause it makes the psp feel more like a bulky controler

F9zDark
September 20th, 2006, 17:56
Well bottom line is that the PSP needs far greater storage options. It is an extremely functional multimedia device. I am still appalled at the lack of storage options for such a device.

Exactly. Sony has ****ed us all with the PSP. First the ridiculous naming of UMDs (Universal Media Disc... FURTHEST from the truth; not even other Sony products utilizes the ****ing thing :mad:) and then the 4gb cap on size, utter lack of interoperability with all media formats (a year later we get WMA.... WOW :mad: ).

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with Sony? They create a handheld, hoping to stake a claim at a market Nintendo has dominated for nearly 2 decades, as well as compete with Apple and its iPod and yet, offers NOTHING new to the table.

Homebrew is why the PSP is still alive. And if Sony spent less time trying to thwart the savior of their stupidity and more time giving us what we want, they'd probably have a more successful product.

I can't wait for someone to remove the cap on a 1.5 custom firmware. Regardless of whether or not I will use the space, I still want to have the space available to me.