PDA

View Full Version : PSP Firmware v2.81 Decrypted! (Yes the New Firmware)

wraggster
September 7th, 2006, 19:37
Dark Alex is damn fast, he has already released a Decryptor for the 2.80 that even supports the v2.81 firmware released today, heres what he posted:

I added support to psar dumper to decrypt 2.80.
Decryption could be done thanks to remains of kernel stuff in the 2.80 user ram dumped thanks to the recent tiff exploit.

UPDATE: added 2.60-2.71 decryption support. Until now, a 2.60 was required to decrypt those.

Mathieulh added this comment:

To anyone wondering, no you can't use 2.8x on devhook yet, why ?

1 - You need another compatible devhook version

2 - There is a new security in 2.8x reboot.bin that allready existed in 2.00+ IPLs, in 2.00+ the module possess a sha1 key area that is beeing generated by 2.00+ updaters before the modules are actually copied to flash0.
This key area is generated from idstorage data which is unique in every psp.
The 2.00+ IPLs check if the modules key area match the idstorage data.
If it didn't then it wouldn't let the module load. The reboot.bin didn't have this security, but 2.80+ reboot.bin now does, so technically you can only devhook a 2.80 firmware if you use the modules from your own nand dump. (which can only be achieved if you manage to dump the nand on 2.80 and extract lflash from it, at this time only people with a modchip can do this)
There are 2 ways to bypass this limitation, either we hack reboot.bin to load the modules regardless of the sha1 key area check results, either we manage to generate the sha1 key area on the modules.

The second solution is the best and can be achieved by performing a deep reverse into the 2.80 updater and reproducing its work.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Rocksil
September 7th, 2006, 19:41
Yeah Im First

DevHook should come out quick

Nafogel
September 7th, 2006, 19:42
damn he's fast, sony just cant keep up with the homebrew scene, and yet sadly, they will probably never give up. I bet you a 2.82 will probably be out within the next week or so, lol, and it will probably be decrypted within a few days, double lol

ExcruciationX
September 7th, 2006, 19:44
Damn Fast! Booster should get on the stick, and release Devhook! Notice we all use the word "Damn" in our posts!

BL4Z3D247
September 7th, 2006, 19:45
Yeah Im First

i hope so, way to go Dark_AleX :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 7th, 2006, 19:45
WE NEED DEHOOK !!! the capaign starts here lol.

dejkirkby
September 7th, 2006, 19:46
Damn, you guys don't mess about! Keep it up!

YourStillWithMe
September 7th, 2006, 19:47
agreed devhook is in need now screw emulating 2.80 lets just get 2.81 going to save ourselves longer now they probably wont release many UMD's with 2.80 now though it'll be like the 2.01 update

juliusceasar
September 7th, 2006, 19:59
Great news, but the reboot issues sound like there may be a delay with a devhook update (not forgetting that Sony got booster to shut the devhook site down too). Nice one Dark Alex

pkmaximum
September 7th, 2006, 20:03
Booster come back D:

We need this firmware emulated. I don't see why nobody is working on NAND flash emulation. That is 100% legal and if we accomplish that we will be able to emulate any firmware. Only we wouldn't be able to add stuff to it as it would be as normal as any other firmware.

The_It
September 7th, 2006, 20:05
if a new firmware can be decrypted the same way as an old one, maby you should try and keep that a secret and hope the people ofer at sony don't recognize it so they won't try and fix it.

QueadlunnRau
September 7th, 2006, 20:12
Oops

Emeriastone
September 7th, 2006, 20:16
Speedy decryption keeps the Sony doctor away.

nami
September 7th, 2006, 20:19
he´s damn fast. but i have a question: is bosster working on 2.8 for devhook?!

Basil Zero
September 7th, 2006, 20:20
Cant wait for Devhook

gotmilk0112
September 7th, 2006, 20:24
i got 1 word for you $ony:

OWNED.

heres the "features" of 2.81:

Network
You can now download video and image content under [RSS Channel].
You can now register devices via a wireless LAN access point under [LocationFree™ Player].

* For more information on LocationFree™ Base Station products, visit http://www.sony.com/locationfree/ownerslounge/psp.
The following game demo is available for download.

Download page for World Tour Soccer 06 demo:
http://us.playstation.com/worldtoursoccer06demo

To download directly to a PSP® system, go to http://psp.us.playstation.com/wts06demo using your system's Internet browser. Select here to view download instructions.

To download using a PC, select here to view download instructions.

Music

You can now play AAC files with the .3gp file extension.

Settings

[Automatic] has been added as an option under [Network Settings] > [Infrastructure Mode].

Other

Support for the playback of content stored in [MUSIC], [PICTURE] and [VIDEO] folders at the root level of Memory Stick Duo™ media has been added.

New for 2.81: A patch has been added to address a security vulnerability in the system software. $<-- LOL

jwilds73
September 7th, 2006, 20:43
Sony's attitude will change once Microsoft releases it's own handheld with homebrew support. Microsoft is already dabbling with homebrew with it's $99.00 a year bit for homebrew developers with the Xbox 360. If all goes well here then hopefully Microsoft will make it's handheld homebrew enabled right out of the box.

NoQuarter
September 7th, 2006, 20:58
It really does seem like sony just can't keep up,unless they don't want to and just do the updates to not upset the licsensed game companies.
Really, sony has supported homebrew,they just can't do it fully because they make their money from the licsenses and devkits.
I still think sony is playing both sides of the coin to obtain a greater market share.

Screwie5150
September 7th, 2006, 21:19
Yeah Im First

What are you like 10??? who cares your first!!! this isn't PSP-Hacks... grow up!!!

Can't wait to use in DevHook... Nice work!!!

SSaxdude
September 7th, 2006, 21:37
I hope Booster updates Dev Hook soon. Take that Sony!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 7th, 2006, 21:49
$ONY big corperate a&*@ must be a bit sore latley the amount theve been f*&@ed recently :).

jimmi
September 7th, 2006, 21:54
$ONY big corperate a&*@ must be a bit sore latley the amount theve been f*&@ed recently :).

LOL !

alraedy decrepted !? u guys work so fast its unbeleivable as soon as i get home from school i get loads of cool stuff ! thanks psp coders !

felonyr301
September 7th, 2006, 22:01
"this wont mean a thing if you aint got that wing" do wop do wop do wop do wop lol remember that commercial and when i mean wing i mean devhook.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
September 7th, 2006, 22:14
WE NEED DEHOOK !!! the capaign starts here lol.
im with u :D :D

Alucard
September 7th, 2006, 22:27
What's the rush on devhook really? We could wait until there is a game that needs it at least.

I am sure your cries are being heard and something will be available sooner or later.

Gene
September 7th, 2006, 23:27
I've gotta say the people behind this are genius

[Roger]
September 7th, 2006, 23:32
so what does this mean to me the 2.80 Firmware USER?

mavsman4457
September 7th, 2006, 23:45
']so what does this mean to me the 2.80 Firmware USER?

It means that as soon as they come out with a 2.8 downgrader in the future, you will have access to everything that 2.81 does. Which means don't ever update. This has got to be embarrassing for the coders at Sony. Either that or they're doing this on purpose and just being way too obvious. I don't understand why they don't just hire Booster and Dark_Alex and all of the other major homebrew hackers. We would be so angry but it would be a great fix to their problems.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 7th, 2006, 23:46
']so what does this mean to me the 2.80 Firmware USER?
A downgrader ect maybe just around the corner now the fw has been decrypted.

gamesquest1
September 7th, 2006, 23:56
i was thinking of trying this ealier as sony wouldnt have known about the decryped 2.80 today so i was thinking it might work on 2.81 but couldnt find the eboot lol wish i would have lol

VampDude
September 8th, 2006, 00:06
where can I get this firmware? (if available)

and decrypted??? as in it's already downgradable???

bigrich68
September 8th, 2006, 00:49
so can we use this to run homebrew or no ? soory still waiting for e loader 2.71 and im getting desperate lol

pkmaximum
September 8th, 2006, 00:57
so can we use this to run homebrew or no ? soory still waiting for e loader 2.71 and im getting desperate lol

Shouldn't be too much longer Bigrich68, I bet Fanjita is working on it as we speak :cool:

gangsta_psp
September 8th, 2006, 00:57
Sony must be on fire, or they are still cheering riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge raaaaaaaaaaaaacer!

mavsman4457
September 8th, 2006, 01:23
As I said before this is just embarrassing. I guess they really don't care about their firmware's security anymore unless it's 3.XX.

Kvonx
September 8th, 2006, 01:34
yes bettter news evryday!!!!!!!!! YEAH

Gene
September 8th, 2006, 01:39
It really does seem like sony just can't keep up,unless they don't want to and just do the updates to not upset the licsensed game companies.
Really, sony has supported homebrew,they just can't do it fully because they make their money from the licsenses and devkits.
I still think sony is playing both sides of the coin to obtain a greater market share.

I agree with you 100%
i still think sony does things FOR the happy-ness of thier customers.

i always liked sony for its quality and customer care, until they became almost corupt with the firware assult. now it seems to me as if they are almost "alowing" homebrew to be hacked by the people.
maybe its a bit crazy, but hey i'm alloud to dream, right?

razorak
September 8th, 2006, 02:45
what in the world...they sure are fast i tell u...lol

M!ckeY
September 8th, 2006, 03:15
bloody hell, i think they enjoy having me shit myself over news like this all the time ;)

sroon
September 8th, 2006, 04:32
Wow shouldnt be much of an update since ic came out this morning!
LOL great work guyz!

( O ) ( O );)

uhoh_hotdogs
September 8th, 2006, 05:17
I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Sony releases the update and it is decrypted hours later . . . come on DevHook!

Raekwik11
September 8th, 2006, 05:54
great work!!!

**1_Man_Matrix**
September 8th, 2006, 06:58
Hah!

Next we'll see an update saying 'FIRMWARE 3.00 CRACKED!'.

And Sony will be scratching their heads goin 'but we haven't even released it yet!!!'

That's how good our coders are :D haha

pibs
September 8th, 2006, 08:38
LOL so many flaws..... so little time

Hexx
September 8th, 2006, 08:45
this is great news! LOL!

i can see the headlines......

sony releases new fir..m.... cracked!!!!!!

mr_nick666
September 8th, 2006, 08:52
Im impressed! :eek: No sooner do we hear about its existance then we hear of its decription! :p Im crossing my fingers for a Devhook version soon.. :D

Eonstar
September 8th, 2006, 10:32
Just in hope of a 2.80 Eloader/Downgrader ;¬)

MikeDX
September 8th, 2006, 11:14
Just in hope of a 2.80 Eloader/Downgrader ;¬)

2.80 Eloader is coming... Mark my words :)

gr42178
September 8th, 2006, 16:27
Wow shouldnt be much of an update since ic came out this morning!
LOL great work guyz!

( O ) ( O );)

You guys sure are fast, nice work

P.S. hey Sroon what happened to your secret of mana icon??? Wouldnt have been able to recognize you if it wasnt for the titties ;o)

ataribob
September 9th, 2006, 01:37
Who remembers Icons ?

djakku
September 9th, 2006, 01:44
can anyone using linux tell me how to extract pbp from the update edoot please?
I'm new to linux and don't know the tools name yet..
Thanks
djakku

Kaiine
September 9th, 2006, 02:37
I don't mean to sound like a noob, but how the hell do I use this?

Veskgar
September 9th, 2006, 04:03
I don't mean to sound like a noob, but how the hell do I use this?
Its not so much how you use this firmware, its how this decrypted firmware could enhance your PSP's capabilities someday. If this firmware is implemented into DevHook, it would basically turn your 1.50 PSP into a 2.81 as well. So you would have the best of both worlds.

meanguns
September 9th, 2006, 05:12
Devhook will not be released anytime soon sorry guys! as far as booster goes he is laying low for now! but, the new coders will reveal themselves in the next few months. It will be pointless to release devhook now as Sony is just testing the waters with a few new games that use 2.80 and 2.81. sony as a company is trying to close up the holes by releasing new firmware versions and only a few games that support them. they are trying to stop what has been going on! So devhook will take a while before the next new version is released. booster and the few new members now coding devhook are just waiting for enough games to be released before there next release so don't hold your breath waiting it will in fact be at least 4 months until the next release! and please don't look to me for answers I am just letting you guys know.

Sony is not trying to stop the homebrew scene but, are more interested in stopping the piracy of there products. given enough time they will close all the holes in the firmware, and believe me you they will not make this mistake with the next portable system they produce (((PSP II))). Moreover, we do not want sony to drop this system all together and announce a new one that does not support memory cards over 256 Meg. That only plays UMD's

Homebrew is here to stay, Sony does accept it but, they don't like it, as they cannot force us to update or introduce code that automatically updates our systems by law (these laws vary from country to country)...

The next devhook is most likely ready to go but, sony is playing a game called lets close all the holes in our firmware before our new 3.0 is released. The coders most likely realize the games that are being played here and are playing a waiting game of their own.

Enjoy!

shadow77
September 9th, 2006, 06:30
booster is still "around", you just don't know where. no one new is taking on fw loaders.

there are some extra securities in 2.8 that prevent it from being emulated. it is being worked on by some well known devs..

defjamz
October 1st, 2006, 21:47
Hi, im a newbie here.. just got my psp today. I need some help. i have no idea how to play games i have DLed. My system is v2.81. Where do i put the .iso or .cso files? Can someone be kind enough to help?

mavsman4457
October 1st, 2006, 21:59
No ISO or CSO file talk here. You will be banned. And if you have a 2.81 you cannot run anyhomebrew on your PSP. Too bad.

AbusiveOwl
October 1st, 2006, 22:28
where do i put the rar file

blackrave
October 1st, 2006, 22:54
You extract the rar file using WinRAR or something else that can open that file type.

Video_freak
October 1st, 2006, 23:27
There's no real use for it yet though. ;)

matty 507
October 5th, 2006, 17:56
Help!!, Im a noob, and I don't have a clue what u guys are talking about most of the time. I have 2.81, i want to play homebrew games????, Iv'e got a 256mb card, I dont know what Devhook is, or TIFF??? please help!

JD/
October 5th, 2006, 18:48
no homebrew for 2.81 nothing at all just dont upgrade is all i can say.

wolfpack
October 8th, 2006, 05:02
mmmmm decrypted 2.80 firmwire, tasty

idothisforfiles
October 18th, 2006, 22:31
doesnt seem to work

LilSwish722
October 18th, 2006, 23:21
where do i put this and what exactly does it do. will it update my psp to 2.81 or something?

acn010
October 18th, 2006, 23:23
hmmmmmmmmmm......... this is old but i didn't saw it........

DPyro
October 18th, 2006, 23:28
It was decrypted a long time ago...just waiting for a new version of Devhook to support it.

acn010
October 18th, 2006, 23:39
oh, that would be nice if it comes out (is it possible?

LilSwish722
October 19th, 2006, 01:03
what exactly does this firmware thing do and will it update my firmware someone plz explain!!!

Cloudhunter
October 19th, 2006, 01:22
what exactly does this firmware thing do and will it update my firmware someone plz explain!!!
It runs on a 1.5, and extracts and decrypts the 2.80 and 2.81 eboots. It wont upgrade your psp, but there is still no point running it.

Cloudy

Diablo45
October 20th, 2006, 23:14
wait so what does this new thing do? screw up our psp's or downgrade it i don't get it some 1 plz explain

LilSwish722
October 21st, 2006, 03:31
so if i have a 2.8 and run this, what will it do

silver32
October 21st, 2006, 11:58
There's nothing you can do with this yet

sean468
June 15th, 2007, 08:45
so what, if u install this can u play homebrew on v2.81 psps??
im sry im new plz answer me.
also can u tell me how to install btw

HumanIce
June 15th, 2007, 08:54
so what, if u install this can u play homebrew on v2.81 psps??
im sry im new plz answer me.
also can u tell me how to install btw
on what firmware are you on right now?
I can help you maybe..

EDIT: try searching for a 2.81 firmware (v2.81) psp downgrader on google, then downgrade to firmware 1.5, then update to dark_alex's firmware 3.40 OE, and you'll be able to play PSX games, snes, GBA, GBC, nes, n64, neo-geo.. all kinds of stuff, and emulators.. and some homebrews too, like doom-psp and quake-psp..