PDA

View Full Version : DVD Playback Not on Wii

wraggster
September 7th, 2006, 19:53
Via IGN

This little detail was deliberately removed. Had to be. Because going way back to 2005, it was mentioned in the official release, of which every detail continues to be reiterated in updated official Nintendo Wii spec sheets -- minus the DVD-playback functionality bit, that is.

Observe exhibit A: 2005 Wii hardware breakdown WITH DVD-playback functionality mention

Now see exhibit B: Updated Nintendo Wii hardware breakdown from Nintendo. Pretty much all the same info and even wording here, but the DVD-playback stuff has been removed.

Like the headline indicates, I haven't really researched the subject beyond my initial paranoid theory and connected speculation. It could very well be that DVD-playback for Wii is not something that Nintendo is interested in promoting .

Lets hope Wii has got DVD playback, itll be a big downer if not

CrackA
September 7th, 2006, 22:25
i heard u will have to buy the add on. so if u just wanna play games the console price will be cheaper and other non-gaming/miscellaneous addons will be bought seperatly.

bsg
September 7th, 2006, 23:23
I hope the DVD function of the Wii will be progressive scan.

Do you think it will be?

The Hombrew Hunter
September 8th, 2006, 00:50
People, this is why they invented DVD-PLAYERS.

*The Hombrew Hunter is not phased.*

SSaxdude
September 8th, 2006, 01:30
Maybe if there was CD play back you could spin records with the Wii-mote. Then I'd get a Wii.

stotheamuel
September 8th, 2006, 04:29
People, this is why they invented DVD-PLAYERS.

*The Hombrew Hunter is not phased.*

Some people would rather have a console in a room than a console and a dvd player... because of 360 and ps2 we have a dvd player for each tv...

superpepto
September 8th, 2006, 18:07
I know that every man, woman and child around where I live already has some way of playing DVDs..if not on every TV in the house then at least on most.

Wii sounds like it's made for games, and...that's about it, which is fine by me. :D

jstush04
September 8th, 2006, 19:34
yeah, it doesnt really dissapoint me because the wii isnt going to have digital sound output anyway. thats the main thing that makes a dvd fun, listening to the awesome surround sound.

i was dissapointed that wii would only have analogue sound until i heard resident evil 4's amazing sound, and it only has prologic2. so, alls well