PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Predictions

wraggster
September 7th, 2006, 21:06
Even though Sony's PSP has kind of become the least-favorite child of the portable gaming community, hardware sales between it and the Nintendo DS have stayed pretty much neck and neck. In 2005, the PSP was able to lurch ahead of the DS, but the tables are turning in 2006 and Sony's multimedia device is slipping behind Nintendo's touch-friendly wonder. As a result, a recent report from technology analyst In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com/press.asp?ID=1742&sku=IN0603162ID)predicts Sony will cut the price of its handheld this holiday season.

The report also has a few things to say about the Game Boy Advance; namely that 2007 will be the last year the most successful system of all time is manufactured. (The Game Boy, in all its manifestations, has sold more than 67 gazoombillion units since its introduction in 1989.)

Also noted are the demise of the Gizmondo, Nokia N-Gage, and Tapwave Zodiac over the past year, leaving only the DS and PSP in a bloody battle for the hearts and minds of gamers on the go.

Via IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/731/731066p1.html)

The_It
September 7th, 2006, 21:46
i think psps didnt sell too good because they are so freakin expensive and you need to buy memory sticks and sony is mean.

by the way... what in the world is a gizmondo?

aries2k4
September 7th, 2006, 22:11
A bad portable gaming device, lol
The GPX2 is still holding on though.

ACID
September 7th, 2006, 22:15
i think psps didnt sell too good because they are so freakin expensive and you need to buy memory sticks and sony is mean.

by the way... what in the world is a gizmondo?
If you realy want to know here are the specs and pics of the two gizmondo versions.:D
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/17/widescreen-gizmondo-specs-and-pics/

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/10/gizmondo-to-fight-psp-with-widescreen-version/

Its about time the expensive handheld went down in price.

Alucard
September 7th, 2006, 22:21
I really think the PSP has been a huge success if you take it in perspective. Nintendo has had a strangle hold on the handheld market for the last 17+ years. They have destroyed all other handhelds that came before it. I mean, what is that, at least a minimum of 20+ portable systems. (I am sure someone can actually list them). That's huge.

The PSP not only hung in there, but it also outsold the regular NDS for a couple of months there. This with the PSP being twice the price of the NDS. So if one was to judge the PSP on these merits they would realize that the PSP is a huge success.

gotmilk0112
September 7th, 2006, 22:49
DS has outsold psp by i dunno, mabey 1-3k systems? it is indeed a neck-to-neck race but in all the hardware sales charts, DS and DS Lite have been on top of psp.

Tron_Fan
September 7th, 2006, 22:49
The biggest reason that I hear that people have the DS is because "My friend had one". That's probably because they were less expensive.

The PSP does a lot more for the serious enthusiast, but is also more $$$.

JD/
September 7th, 2006, 23:43
I think its because DS is commercially better than the PSP most people dont know about homebrew but the number of people who know about it is steadily growing :)

aries2k4
September 7th, 2006, 23:50
Ya, I spread the word around as much as I can:)

IndianCheese
September 8th, 2006, 03:03
Is "gazoombillion" even a number?

alleyal202
September 8th, 2006, 03:44
The DS is for kids.i do own both though(ds is my 14 yr old daughters:))but i love my psp.Best thing to come out since apple pie,big sticky purple buds,grape blunts,Smalleville on WB,now on CW;)U get my drift!

Raekwik11
September 8th, 2006, 05:50
lol i was just thinking that

lucidtraveller
September 8th, 2006, 07:15
i honestly think the psp is about the coolest thing ever created. the ds has always had one thing over the psp though....affordability!!!! and since it had that, more people got them and therefore there was more incentive to make great games...which may someday be emulated on psp hehehehe......
i have collected and literally owned every game system ever made except for neo geo up till the xbox when i sold the collection off....and nothing even compares to the psp as far as usefullness and sheer coolness :) heh, funny thing about the never finding a neogeo though.... 2 years after i sold the collection i am now a neo geo owner too but i still play it on the psp because it is the coolest SYSTEM (not just handheld) EVER!!!!!!
and oooh soooo sexy too!
i lucked out though and got mine for 100 bucks at a yard sale but i don't have the headphones...... after months of wanting one but caught in the "it's too expensive" loop.
whoa....i am completely rambling here.
1.5 forever with thousands of good games on it!!!
the ds wierds me out though seriously, like it just does not feel right to me honestly, the lite is better than the original one though.
as far as "predictions" as the title suggested.... i predict that nothing will ever have quite the feel or coolness of the psp ever....maybe because it is the first of it's kind.
still wishing for virtualboy emulation though ;)
ok, i have rambled too much.

BelmontSlayer
September 8th, 2006, 07:28

1 one
1,000 thousand
1,000,000 million
1,000,000,000 billion
1,000,000,000,000 trillion
1,000,000,000,000,000 quadrillion
1,000,000,000,000,000,000 quintillion

Guess not...

dejkirkby
September 8th, 2006, 07:37
I've had both a DS and PSP, I sold one on eBay, and it weren't black!

slayer2psp
September 8th, 2006, 15:19
i never leave the house witout my n-gage qd the best game phone ever made intill nokia starts making there new phones with n-gage fuctions built in thats my phone of choice. it does every thing the psp does and more and it only cost 50 bucks. oh and the games arent half bad either with psone graphics . i own the ds lite psp and n-gage qd my 3 fav portables of course the psp is the best for games

slayer2psp
September 8th, 2006, 15:23
The DS is for kids.i do own both though(ds is my 14 yr old daughters:))but i love my psp.Best thing to come out since apple pie,big sticky purple buds,grape blunts,Smalleville on WB,now on CW;)U get my drift!
you must be a cool dad if you like the stickey ekky

ACID
September 8th, 2006, 15:45
Hey i own both and the NDS is also a great system it just doesn't have much homebrew but commercial games it has a lot in numbers even many are better then the psp who probably has like 10 if that.

SteveV2
September 8th, 2006, 17:06
I have a DS and a PSP.

Personally speaking, the DS is over hyped big time. There are a few great games on it but really, not that many.

When one of the best games is a brain training program things can't be as rosy as they seem if you ask me.

Veskgar
September 9th, 2006, 03:59
Although addicted to my 1.50 PSP, I plan on getting a DS Lite. There are some really great games for it and the future holds great things with some AWESOME DS game releases.

SnesR0X
September 9th, 2006, 09:25
Ha, i have a Ds Lite and a Psp, but they're both excellent systems, it just depends wat you feel like playing. I have Pheonix Wright, mario kart, and Trauma Center,all great games (yay Pheonix!) but the ds is more for non, relaxed gaming sessions, for the general amount of the games anyway, but the fact my psp has homebrew now, i'll be using it a lot more :)