PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Predictions

wraggster
September 7th, 2006, 21:07
Even though Sony's PSP has kind of become the least-favorite child of the portable gaming community, hardware sales between it and the Nintendo DS have stayed pretty much neck and neck. In 2005, the PSP was able to lurch ahead of the DS, but the tables are turning in 2006 and Sony's multimedia device is slipping behind Nintendo's touch-friendly wonder. As a result, a recent report from technology analyst In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com/press.asp?ID=1742&sku=IN0603162ID)predicts Sony will cut the price of its handheld this holiday season.

The report also has a few things to say about the Game Boy Advance; namely that 2007 will be the last year the most successful system of all time is manufactured. (The Game Boy, in all its manifestations, has sold more than 67 gazoombillion units since its introduction in 1989.)

Also noted are the demise of the Gizmondo, Nokia N-Gage, and Tapwave Zodiac over the past year, leaving only the DS and PSP in a bloody battle for the hearts and minds of gamers on the go.

Via IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/731/731066p1.html)

Junixx
September 7th, 2006, 22:02
WTF is gazoombillion?!

GamerGuyDude
September 7th, 2006, 23:43
I don't really think GBA was Gameboy anyways. If GBA was Gameboy then SuperNintendo was NES. The big question is, will Nintendo continue using 2 screens for their next handheld?

havoc_012
September 7th, 2006, 23:53
IGN should clarify whether they're comparing united states sales or worldwide sales, becuase the worldwide sales aren't even close. In japan 5 DS's are sold for every 1 psp. thats anything but "neck and neck." US numbers are closer but the DS still outsells the PSP in all regions.

Bonic
September 8th, 2006, 00:44
DS wins, PSP loses the battle....really, DS came out for not as long as GBA! And it gets sold alot more than ALL console I list cool.

picketf
September 8th, 2006, 03:13
IGN should clarify whether they're comparing united states sales or worldwide sales, becuase the worldwide sales aren't even close. In japan 5 DS's are sold for every 1 psp. thats anything but "neck and neck." US numbers are closer but the DS still outsells the PSP in all regions.

It's an in-stat research which explains itself.

Biased from A-Z but that is typical for US bussines analysts. Always assuming US markets to have the biggest share world wide

I believe it's too late for Sony's PSP on a global scale... but perhaps there is a chance that the PSP becomes americas PC-Engine.

TacticalBread
September 8th, 2006, 07:05
WTF is gazoombillion?!
I believe "gazoombillion" would mean "A lot of friggin' GameBoys."

lornranger
September 9th, 2006, 07:08
WTF is gazoombillion?!

Probably billions?