PDA

View Full Version : Games about real-life conflicts are 'distasteful' - Codemasters

wraggster
December 20th, 2010, 21:44
Operation Flashpoint: Red River creative director Sion Lenton has told Edge that games focusing on live conflict are inappropriate.

"I, personally, don't want to focus on live conflict. I don't think it's appropriate and I don't think it's tasteful," the Codies man told the mag.

"One of the girls who works here, her nephew was killed by an improvised explosive device [IED] a couple of months ago. So when I hear that, I don't want to be in a ****ing meeting bigging up my IED tech."

EA opted to choose the Afghanistan war as the subject of its recent Medal of Honor reboot. It was a controversial decision that drew a fair degree of criticism, and the publisher subsequently went as far as to remove the Taliban as a playable force in the title's multiplayer mode.

"We are deliberately setting out not to court that controversy, we don't want to go there and it's not a conversation we ever wanted to get into," Lenton added. "At no point did we think that it would be cool to set the game in Helmand or Afghanistan, because there's a war going on there and there are British soldiers dying.

"We're still making a war game, and showing soldiers dying, but I guess [the fiction] is us playing safe. But I don't have a problem with playing safe when it comes to this kind of thing."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281150?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS