PDA

View Full Version : Sony: '3D adoption will be faster than HD'

wraggster
December 22nd, 2010, 22:40
Andrew House, president of SCEE, believes that the adoption rate of 3DTVs will be faster than the shift from standard to high-definition.

Speaking to MCV, House pinned 2011 as a big year for 3D, with 3D games coming "into fruition", and says Sky TV will play a key roll, too.

"3D is going to be driven by building an ecosystem that's based around content, TV penetration, and so on," he said.

"In the UK you are seeing a strong push by broadcasters like Sky, who see enormous potential in 3D. Their track record in driving HD penetration was key."

But House admits the economic climate isn't helping. "It is a technology shift against challenging economic circumstances for a lot of countries in Europe. So that is something that makes us pause a bit," he said.

"Rather than saying when the tipping point will be, I do think it will be a faster adoption than the shift from standard to high definition," stated House, saying gaming will benefit most from the shift.

"I think the benefits of 3D are a lot more tangible in an interactive experience. It is also the one 3D experience that is, to a great degree, not replicable outside of the home.

"Our role is to act as a pioneer, as evangelists and to help developers get the right experience with 3D games. We've done some great groundwork and I think you'll see 3D games come to fruition next year."

MotorStorm Apocalypse, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3 and the Ico Collection are among the major 3D PS3 releases coming next year, not to mention the launch of Nintendo's new specs-less 3DS.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281542?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Fonixx
December 22nd, 2010, 23:52
He's saying this like getting people buying 3D equipment will be some kind of achievement, but really they'll just be 3D ready by default because it'll just come as standard on tv's in the next few years, just like when you buy a Ps3 you get Blu-Ray by default which doesn't mean you've chosen to adopt Blu-Ray. And also if you buy a new tv now it's impossibe to find 1 that isn't HD ready so you got the same issue there.

Qmark
December 23rd, 2010, 07:56
HD didn't really take off until the sets became cheap and SDTVs disappeared.

Darksaviour69
December 23rd, 2010, 15:18
I don't know anyone that wants 3dtv, or even anyone that likes any 3d stuff bar one friend talked about maybe watching the world cup in 3d at a pub, but didn't bother in the end.

But I do know a few (only a few mind) that hates 3D, gives them a headache.

I think it will do well as a nich market, but I don't see 3dtv being main stream any time soon