PDA

View Full Version : Mathieulh announces he can sign PSP homebrews

wraggster
January 3rd, 2011, 20:53
News via http://wololo.net/wagic/2011/01/03/mathieulh-announces-he-can-sign-psp-homebrews/

As most of you probably know, team Fail0verfl0w announced at the German Chaos Computer Congress that they completely broke the PS3 security, by finding the signing keys used by Sony on the system.

In clear words, they are able to sign content and have a (non hacked) PS3 believe this content is signed by Sony (and therefore the PS3 will run anything you want).

I have received many contacts from people asking me if this would have an impact on the PSP. After all, the PS3 is able to run (decrypt) some PSP games, activate PSP content (like Media Go), and overall there is such a symbiosis between the PS3 and the PSP that we can’t help but ask ourselves: “what if the PSP keys were also available on the PS3?”

Well, it seems the question was legitimate, as Mathieulh announced on Twitter that he can now sign PSP content.

For those who wonder what this means, well simply put: no need for any exploit, HBL, or HEN in the future, as we will (?) be able to run our homebrews directly from the XMB without any hack. That is, if Mathieu releases his code.

If you still didn’t get it, this is a major breakthrough, with an impact similar to the pandora batteries and the first CFW on the PSP

Congrats Mathieu! Any plan for a release?

Warning: I want to add that console hacking teams do not work for money. People like MathieuLH or the team fail0verfl0w will NOT ask you for money in exchange for their work. If their work ever gets released, it will be available for free. Don’t get tricked by fakers (there are lot of fake failoverflow accounts on youtube apparently)

NoQuarter
January 4th, 2011, 06:42
I'm excited for homebrew on the 3000, I may go pick one up now :) Or maybe a pspgo since you can use a ps3 controller.
Wow, didn't realize I can't post news...
I was wondering where my post on this subject went, lol.

SmashinGit
January 4th, 2011, 11:55
Exciting times again for the psp, we could all be on the latest firmware with our emulators and homebrew.

cozy
January 4th, 2011, 13:32
Good news at the end of the psp life, as no new games are coming out, the psp will be used only for homebrew and emulators,so keeping it alive a few years to come i hope!!!

Echo1
January 4th, 2011, 15:20
I'm all against piracy on the PS3 and PSP but the use of homebrew apps and games on my PSP 3000 using OFW does make me quite excited. I'll be keeping a close eye on the developments in the coming weeks.

What's the difference with the HEN software? Excuse my ignorance as I know nothing of hacking the PSP.

Qmark
January 4th, 2011, 15:48
I'm all against piracy on the PS3 and PSP but the use of homebrew apps and games on my PSP 3000 using OFW does make me quite excited. I'll be keeping a close eye on the developments in the coming weeks.This isn't going to affect piracy much. Anyone intent on pirating already has a 1000/2000 and the necessary tools. The only predictable impact is opening up 3000 and Go, which is a relatively minuscule bump in the gigantic amount of shenanigans already occurring.

As mentioned earlier, the impending end-of-life for the platform will make the rampant piracy problem largely irrelevant anyway.

What's the difference with the HEN software? Excuse my ignorance as I know nothing of hacking the PSP."Signed" software will run on anything. There will no longer be a need for CFW, HEN, and those tools needed to get legitimately purchased software to run on old custom firmware.

NoQuarter
January 4th, 2011, 16:44
I wonder how long it'll take see signed homebrew. It would be nice to have a tool to sign our existing homebrew.

Echo1
January 4th, 2011, 19:19
This isn't going to affect piracy much. Anyone intent on pirating already has a 1000/2000 and the necessary tools. The only predictable impact is opening up 3000 and Go, which is a relatively minuscule bump in the gigantic amount of shenanigans already occurring.

As mentioned earlier, the impending end-of-life for the platform will make the rampant piracy problem largely irrelevant anyway.
"Signed" software will run on anything. There will no longer be a need for CFW, HEN, and those tools needed to get legitimately purchased software to run on old custom firmware.

Cheers for the answers. So, HEN and the like wont be needed if and when we can sign our own homebrew with these keys that may or may not be released?

mike_jmg
January 4th, 2011, 20:30
Wow, they messed up big time, the keys on the psp have the same failure, This is really the definition of EPIC FAIL.

Hope to see homebrew running on all psps