PDA

View Full Version : KaKaRoTo Creates First Custom Firmware

Vega
January 5th, 2011, 03:35
The day everyone has been waiting for, is finally upon us. KaKaRoTo, famous for his work on the PL3 payload, has released a tool/script that converts a standard PS3 v3.55 Sony retail firmware PUP, into a custom version.

PS3: First ‘PS3 Custom Firmware’ now working!

Great news!

Thanks to the tools made by the fail0verflow team (and thanks to sven in particular for his work on the pkg/unpkg tools), the first “Custom Firmware” is now available for the PS3!

I see a lot of questions coming up really fast on my Twitter account, so here are the basic things you need to know :

Because of legal/copyright issues, I will not provide the custom firmware to anyone, however, I’ve made available all the tools necessary to transform an Official firmware update, into a custom one, just grab my ps3utils repository from github, compile, then run :

./create_cfw.sh PS3UPDATE.PUP CFW.PUP

This will take the official firmware, unpack it, modify it, then repack it correctly (requires you to install ps3tools).

This requires Linux of course, but I’m sure others will do it for the masses and illegally release those files somewhere.

The advantage here is that you can do it for any firmware, if you want to keep version 3.41, then give it the 3.41 update, if you are on 3.55 already and can’t downgrade, then run the script on the official 3.55 firmware and it will create a modified 3.55 firmware.

You can put the file in a USB drive under the filename “PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP” and then go to system update in the XMB, and it will allow you to install the update (even if you’re already on 3.55).

People are asking what are the features of this firmware, it’s simple, all it does is to add those “Install Package Files” options to the Game section of the XMB. It doesn’t do anything else!

This firmware will not allow you to run the currently available homebrew application. Once the homebrew developers re-package their files in a ‘retail’ .pkg format with signed executable, then it will work (this should be coming soon thanks to the work of the fail0verflow team).

Since the kernel is left unmodified, this means that this custom firmware is really meant for future homebrew installation, and it will not allow piracy. I plan on keeping it that way.

This is just the first attempt at custom firmware, and it only contains a minor modification to allow you to install pkg files directly, eventually we’ll get some more options added to it in the future. This is just starting to get interesting!

p.s: Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!

Enjoy! :)
KaKaRoTo

ps3utils can be downloaded here: https://github.com/kakaroto/ps3utils

NOTE : As a personal note, I wouldnt reccommend anyone to apply this update yet. See this more as a PoC or wait until more tests have been done.

DPyro
January 5th, 2011, 04:17
YKUOB8MN4Kc

Wolfdawg
January 5th, 2011, 09:43
YEAAAOOOO! OOOOMFG!!!
.....I have a feeling ill have to sit this one out :c

I don't want CFW that just leads to limits (like them blocking piracy) a jailbreak would be perfect. PSN access and no new dongle!

its a little boi's dream

SmashinGit
January 5th, 2011, 10:04
The holy grail of custom firmware! The next few weeks are going to be very exciting, days even.

Vega
January 5th, 2011, 13:24
Ps3Utils and the script have been updated, now at v1.1. Your ps2 and ps3 save files will now be intact, as will your trophies.
however, we are still waiting on some signed .pkg files to come to light.
I still say be patient before applying the firmware.. lets see what is on the horizon ;)

EDIT : Now updated to v1.2 (more xmb fixes)

wisinx
January 5th, 2011, 16:22
yes, is better to hold on, and wait a lil bit. Peeps dont update joust yet...

Eviltaco64
January 5th, 2011, 20:41
Looks like now is the time to get a PS3. :)