PDA

View Full Version : PS3 trophies threatened by jailbreak tool

wraggster
January 14th, 2011, 22:16
The PS3 jailbreak threatens to wreck havoc on the PlayStation ecosystem in ways beyond just piracy. The integrity of the PS3 trophy system hangs in the balance, as hackers have supposedly created an app that unlocks trophies in games automatically. CVG reports that the tool has been used to unlock trophies in BUZZ! and the notoriously challenging PAIN. Oddly, the tool apparently doesn't work in games like Resident Evil 5 and Batman: Arkham Asylum, meaning it isn't quite foolproof yet.

Obviously, a compromise like this undermines the entire point of the trophy system. Sony's Eric Lempel explained to us that the PSP couldn't support trophies due to the unsecured nature of that platform. "If people can artificially inflate their rankings ... it kills the whole [Trophy] system," he explained. Unfortunately, it appears Sony now faces the same issue on the PS3.

"We are aware of this, and are currently looking into it," a SCEE representative commented. "We will fix the issues through network updates, but because this is a security issue, we are not able to provide you with any more details."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/14/ps3-trophies-threatened-by-jailbreak-tool/

Qmark
January 15th, 2011, 07:33
Trophies are entirely meaningless anyway.
What's the big deal?

Jay6
January 15th, 2011, 08:38
I just play the game to play it... trophies are just neat little things that show what challenges you've done in the game, and you can show them off to your friends (so they can see your progress, I guess? I dunno). Wii doesn't have that feature with its games. IMO, a game is about fun and challenges. The only thing this hack accomplishes is lying to your friends and to yourself.

Shrygue
January 15th, 2011, 15:45
Besides, in most game I've played, alot of trophies seem impossible to get anyway. Not really a big issue I think.