PDA

View Full Version : My first new M64 Build! - Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP

XioN980
September 9th, 2006, 03:15
I was gonna wait till later for this but i feel people have a right to know that i am serious about working on this.

This is mostly the stuff PSmonkey talked about adding with a few changes by m :p

Zion and i are taking different approaches to continuing Monkey64 and he is a very experienced coder so keep an eye on both emulators.

Heres the low down;) :

(*) Zelda OOT Now Loads, Microcode: F3DX2 (Monkey)
(*) Beginnings of expansion pack support (Monkey)
(*) You can choose EEPROM (save) size
(*) Roms now load from a roms directory
(*) Old Pochi icon
(*) New Pochi eboot background
(*) Implemented the one word source change StrmnNrmn Found (1-2 VSYNC's a second speed increase) (Droideka)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

razorak
September 9th, 2006, 03:24
that was fast....lol

Tetris999
September 9th, 2006, 05:37
coool if i was a coder id love to help in this (im not though dang!) but im good at gfx! (pictures blah blah)
hey hey i just thought maybe we should dump daedalus why? well first of lets take an example there was pspvba too bad it was a port and it couldnt go fast in the end and yes it was abandoned. now then exophase started a gameboy advance emulator and he only worked on it for 3 months! YIKES AND it goes fast!how long did psp vba had been going until it was stopped like i think 5months. seriously i think this should be worked on rather than daedalus (dont hate me daedalus fanboys)
seriously please keep working on this thing it will pwn i can feel it just like gppsp!

M!ckeY
September 9th, 2006, 05:39
this is great :)

Wally
September 9th, 2006, 05:41
Nice!!!

Lets hope that dynarec comes in soon..

Im not touching it until that stage :D

Nafogel
September 9th, 2006, 05:47
Seems like you're doin a pretty good job, but I'm with the moose dude above me. I'll wait until it's a little farther along to give it a try:)

Kaiser
September 9th, 2006, 07:48
Awesome news! Its great to see two different coders working on M64. I've moved you into the "PSP Coder" usergroup so now you can post threads directly in news forums for front page publicity.

:D keep it up

Mr. Shizzy
September 9th, 2006, 07:52
Great news. The PSP homebrew scene has been non stop. (I'm lovin' it!!!) :D :) :D

pkmaximum
September 9th, 2006, 07:58
This is great because I had more hope on this emulator since the beginning since it ran extremeley fast on a game like Quest, in only a interpreter mode. When that Dyranec Engine is kicked in, and optomizations are made, I can guarentee we are goingt os ee huge speed increases. Man I'm so happy Monkey 64 is still in action!!

I'm goingt o test this right away :cool:

Gene
September 9th, 2006, 08:05
wow good job keeping this emulator alive amazing work!! keep it up i wanna see this emulator become great!

Veskgar
September 9th, 2006, 08:42
Yes this is a very pleasant surprise. More than 1 N64 EMU's in the works is bound to bring good things to all the EMU junkies out there.

XioN980
September 9th, 2006, 09:01
Thanks for your comments everyone :)

mcvader
September 9th, 2006, 09:28
Begun the Monkey64 wars have!

Why don't you and zion work together on this one? I know you're going down different paths but could'nt you work on a dynarec while zion concentrates on compatability? If you work together you could be in real competition with Daedleus, there is a lot of ground to make up!

Is this your first emu project? If so it seems you are jumping in the deep end!

Congrats on taking the challenge, this can only be a good thing:)

P.s I want goldeneye 007:)

emuking
September 9th, 2006, 09:50
nice to see people working on it again

XioN980
September 9th, 2006, 10:31
mcvader: I don't think there's any war going on lol, i think two different monkey's is a better idea as his would be good for overall performance in specific games and will probably not take as long per game. Where as mine will work in most roms in one place but will most likely take longer to improve many, many games

dejkirkby
September 9th, 2006, 10:50
Keep it up PSMonkey II aka Droideka lol

D0N
September 9th, 2006, 11:28
lol, yeah keep up the great work PSDroideka! :)

StealthCP
September 9th, 2006, 11:46
PSDroideka, you are insane. Keep up the great work! :D

Really, it is a good idea to have competition in these grounds. I like the sound of it, because if you use both you would be a lot better off in the end. It will be excellent if you can support larger roms before Daedalus with dynarec :p

aries2k4
September 9th, 2006, 12:55
Nice to see more than one coder taking on N64.
Good work

coldjim
September 9th, 2006, 13:43
is this as good as the other n64 emulator?
is it faster?

JD/
September 9th, 2006, 15:05
not yet but i think it might be in the long run look at gpsp :)

Alucard
September 9th, 2006, 15:40
Thanks so much, keep up the good work. It's great news to here your still keeping up his work. It is worthwhile to have a N64 emu coded from scratch as well.

geise69
September 9th, 2006, 16:31
What makes this emulator so nice is that it's built from the ground up and is not a port. So there is more room to improve on. When you port something there's just so much you can do to it. I'm really glad to see this continuing forward. Sin and Punishment on my psp would be a really nice treat. It's just great to have two really good starting N64 emulators. The funny thing is I never was a big fan of the n64, except for a few games. Thanks for continuing this!

NJisMYhome
September 9th, 2006, 16:42
I Cant Get Mario Kart Or Zelda To Play It Just Goes To A Blue Screen Can Someone Help

coldjim
September 9th, 2006, 16:55
this is hard
i can't run any games.... what are the settings for super mario 64?

BrooksyX
September 9th, 2006, 16:56
Great Job, its great to finally see monkey64 getting worked on even though I am going to miss Psmonkey.

DPyro
September 9th, 2006, 17:00
Lol...I still got a better version than this :p

coldjim
September 9th, 2006, 17:14
huh? what verison u got??
and also, hows anyone got any games working on the emulator yet!!!!????

Hawq
September 9th, 2006, 17:26
2 minds one emulator, albeit with two versions, as I say in my emuhq news this should lead to great things as the possibility of one solving a problem the other doesnt is high, or at least solving it a differant way which may be quicker.

meatstick
September 9th, 2006, 19:01
Lol...I still got a better version than this :p
your a mean person:p

PSmonkey
September 9th, 2006, 19:21
Umm. Little quick to post something. You're gonna get flaimed for this (so will I which is already happening on pspupdates).

Also please drop atlantis from future builds. It was just something I did to mark in development builds.

NJisMYhome
September 9th, 2006, 19:30
im getting frustrated, this isnt working

JKKDARK
September 9th, 2006, 19:44
You did a great job, PSDroideka. Thank you ;)

PSmonkey
September 9th, 2006, 20:11
Oh quick thing. I just looked at the source I gave you. This build wont run zelda. It does not have the rom cache system. I had that on another pc so I will have to go grab the src on one of my backup cds.

pspfan
September 9th, 2006, 20:22
Hmm it's good this is being worked on, but I hope this guy can actually pull it off. Monkey was experienced with emulation whereas I haven't seen this guy code anything, let alone an emulator or an N64 emulator...I wish him luck but if this is his first project I think it may be too much. Anyway, I also am wondering why Zion is going to give it a try. That actually is a lot weirder because I don't think he even knows a lot of C since he codes in Lua so much...maybe he does, but again, coding an emulator is so different and hard...Well I hope this goes somewhere, but I personally think PSmonkey or another more experienced coder would know a lot more about how to improve and optimize it. I'll probably get flamed for posting this, but I didn't mean any of it in a bad way.

CARLOSOAC
September 9th, 2006, 21:33
WoW impressive.

Zion
September 9th, 2006, 21:38
Anyway, I also am wondering why Zion is going to give it a try. That actually is a lot weirder because I don't think he even knows a lot of C since he codes in Lua so much...maybe he does, but again, coding an emulator is so different and hard....

Well i do know some :p

But i know its not going to be easy or happen overnight, read here for my full post on the subject http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35047.

dagger89
September 9th, 2006, 21:41
Hmm it's good this is being worked on, but I hope this guy can actually pull it off. Monkey was experienced with emulation whereas I haven't seen this guy code anything, let alone an emulator or an N64 emulator...I wish him luck but if this is his first project I think it may be too much. Anyway, I also am wondering why Zion is going to give it a try. That actually is a lot weirder because I don't think he even knows a lot of C since he codes in Lua so much...maybe he does, but again, coding an emulator is so different and hard...Well I hope this goes somewhere, but I personally think PSmonkey or another more experienced coder would know a lot more about how to improve and optimize it. I'll probably get flamed for posting this, but I didn't mean any of it in a bad way.

I'm not going to flame u, but rather fix up sumthings....

1) Obviously, he would know C or C++, as an emulator in LUA is pretty much impossible. While they both can be used for games and apps, emulators are different. I'm 100% sure a console emulator in LUA is impossible.

2) If im not mistaken, Zion is working on a rom-per-rom basis, different from this system. Meaning that there will separate emulators for Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Forsaken, etc....

Zion
September 9th, 2006, 21:44
Correct :D

dagger89
September 9th, 2006, 21:48
i wished i picked up c/c++ books early in the summer now...i's love to worth on this, but i just began studying, like last week, and with school.... geez... i need more free time... anyway, good luck to both of you!!!

BL4Z3D247
September 9th, 2006, 21:50
ohh so it's gunna be like Zombie-whatever's idea(even though that was all fake and this is real :D)....cool

quzar
September 9th, 2006, 21:53
What makes this emulator so nice is that it's built from the ground up and is not a port. So there is more room to improve on. When you port something there's just so much you can do to it. I'm really glad to see this continuing forward. Sin and Punishment on my psp would be a really nice treat. It's just great to have two really good starting N64 emulators. The funny thing is I never was a big fan of the n64, except for a few games. Thanks for continuing this!

don't forget your history. this was originally based on GPF's dreamcast port of dcnincest. (yes yes i know it's been basically completely rewritten, but still DC scene props ;)

coldjim
September 9th, 2006, 22:27
right guys.... i know that u are talking about other things...
but i really really need to know how to get this emulator to play a gad dam rom!!!
lol
its not working at all, i get to the menu (btw i am trying to play super mario 64 see if it runs any good) and i select fast3d (thats what mario needs) and then i dunno what to set the other things to so i leave it as defautl , so i try to load the rom, but all it does it come up with a black screen and i can;t go home, so i have to take da battery out

anyone know how to get this thing to work?

dagger89
September 9th, 2006, 23:27
Did u guys follow the old rom rules??? I believe the roms NEED to be a certain extension.... make sure its the right format

ACID
September 10th, 2006, 00:00
Great to know man never give up.

PSmonkey
September 10th, 2006, 00:22
don't forget your history. this was originally based on GPF's dreamcast port of dcnincest. (yes yes i know it's been basically completely rewritten, but still DC scene props ;)

Actualy not. M64 has nada to do with dcnincest. nincest for psp was the only port.

M64 is started from scrach and based on mupen & pj64.

You're free to check the src if you like. Too bad Gpf did not have the time to finish the dc port of m64. Would have been cool to run smaller roms on the dc.

Wally
September 10th, 2006, 06:00
Good on you mate..

Daedalus will reach the speed achieved soon enough.. StrmnNrmn knows his stuff really..

quzar
September 10th, 2006, 07:13
Actualy not. M64 has nada to do with dcnincest. nincest for psp was the only port.

M64 is started from scrach and based on mupen & pj64.

You're free to check the src if you like. Too bad Gpf did not have the time to finish the dc port of m64. Would have been cool to run smaller roms on the dc.

really o_O. i remember you talking about taking it apart then putting it back together from other sources to get M64. (of course I didn't mean it as an insult or to demean it, rewriting something so from not working at all to working would have been just as big an acheivement as starting from scratch, i just liked the idea that some mostly worthless demo on the DC turned into a great emulator) oh well.

PSmonkey
September 10th, 2006, 17:59
really o_O. i remember you talking about taking it apart then putting it back together from other sources to get M64. (of course I didn't mean it as an insult or to demean it, rewriting something so from not working at all to working would have been just as big an acheivement as starting from scratch, i just liked the idea that some mostly worthless demo on the DC turned into a great emulator) oh well.

Yeah. Well nincest was a really slow core. Where fire demo only got 1.5 fps, M64 got a solid 5-10 fps.

Still dcnincest does get credit for getting me motivated to even do a n64 emu. So if not for that quick port I would never have made m64.

Again you're more then welcome to the src to check it out. :)

jamesmc3stripe
September 13th, 2006, 22:05
hello psmonkey:D thought you had left? or is it just making hombrew?

thewizard
September 28th, 2006, 20:41
nice thanks ;)

pierresem
October 30th, 2006, 22:50
I want to run games on my PSP. How can I do that?

I've tried Daedalus already, everytime I load a game the PSP's screen is freezing and sometime some of the games are running very slow.

Please can somebody hook me up?