PDA

View Full Version : First signed homebrew on the PSP

wraggster
January 17th, 2011, 19:54
News via http://wololo.net/wagic/2011/01/16/first-signed-homebrew-on-the-psp/

Developer kgsws (remember the MOHH exploit?) posted on/talk a few hours ago a homebrew that runs on a PSP without “any” hack. This is the results of days of experimenting with the PS3 Firmware, in which keys used for signing PSP applications were discovered by Mathieulh.

http://www.youtube.com/v/HQuLoHdxPMY

This is only a proof of concept for now, we can’t be sure if a “sign your own homebrews” tool will be released any time soon, but this is a major breakthrough for the PSP scene, probably as ground-shaking as the Pandora batteries almost 4 years ago…

The homebrew has been confirmed to work on PSPs with Official Firmware, you can download it here to test.

Congrats to all the devs involved in this (I said it already, but I’ve never seen so many devs in one thread)! And please don’t post that “it works” in the programming thread, we will delete posts that are not directly related to development.

Deutschlands 1
January 17th, 2011, 19:58
Hrimfaxi has signed the 5.03 HEN and the 6.35 PRO HEN,so I think it´s gonna be easier to sign homebrews.

Greez,
Deutschlands 1

Sorry for my bad english,I´m from Germany ;)

Fonixx
January 18th, 2011, 01:16
I guess when they manage to sign retail games this way it will officially be the death of the Psp. At least Psp2's due so developers have something to create for, but let's just hope Sony's laughable security becomes bad enough to allow homebrew but good enough to stop piracy, and at least try to compete with features to make people want to stay on ofw for the next consoles.

Qmark
January 18th, 2011, 04:36
Signing ISO rips for OFW would require cracking the PSN DRM system and replicating it.
Really, anyone wanting to run pirated PSP games has already done so.

Deutschlands 1
January 18th, 2011, 12:09
@Qmark Signing ISOs wouldn´t work,because the OFW haven´t got a built-in ISO Loader,also an ISO doesn´t require the PSN DRM,because it isn´t bought in the PSN.So you have to convert the ISO to PBP with for example the OpenIdea ISO Loader. Then you could sign them.So there´s no need for the DRM.

Fonixx
January 18th, 2011, 15:13
Signing ISO rips for OFW would require cracking the PSN DRM system and replicating it.
Really, anyone wanting to run pirated PSP games has already done so.

Cfw/exploits are easy to do but a lot of people are so tech shy they won't even attempt it, but give them games with no risk or effort involved and they'll happily stop paying for them.