PDA

View Full Version : PSPik - Keyboard driver version 0.01

wraggster
September 9th, 2006, 11:56
Kididio (http://www.pspsource.de/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1140) has posted the first release of his IR Keyboard driver, PSPik.

With this driver you should be able to interact with your PSP from a Wireless Keyboard.

Heres what the coder says:

This release is proper, itīs only a proof of concept release for the pspsource.de comunity to show up eg. to test which ir keyboard devices are working with.

This rls is testet by some friends of me, with multiple deployers from ir keyboards like acer, hama, sony, lg and so on, but for every keyboard we must improofe the code, so i can not grant any functionality to you, its ver 0.01 first, you can call it
a pre-alpha. My job and my wife sucks most off
my freetime, an working release for the mainstream keyboards is coming up end of this,
2006, year.

Does it work, ?

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Uruz 6
September 9th, 2006, 12:04
Even if it doesn't it's good to know somebody is working on it.
Keep it up!!

NoQuarter
September 9th, 2006, 12:09
Awesome!Great work.
Hopefully we'll see linux soon.

Veskgar
September 9th, 2006, 12:34
Sony did not want to give us a PSP keyboard so it looks like again homebrew may just find a way.

BL4Z3D247
September 9th, 2006, 12:47
i love the homebrew scene :D

NoQuarter
September 9th, 2006, 12:53
Me too, blazed.

We need to see some pics of this in action.
I wonder if you have to line up the keyboards with the IR port on the psp?
We need the keyboards to be attachable to the psp.
With this development maybe some manufacturers will make one that folds over the psp face.

razorak
September 9th, 2006, 13:12
i've got a wireless keyboard :)
but i dun have IR Shell :(

Veskgar
September 9th, 2006, 14:05
I have a Belkin wireless keyboard. Maybe I'll give this a whirl.

Tetris999
September 9th, 2006, 14:27
sound very cool some one shud try this!

mavsman4457
September 9th, 2006, 16:37
i've got a wireless keyboard :)
but i dun have IR Shell :(

I'm pretty sure that you don't need IRshell to use this. Also, you can easily download it from the Ir Shell thread. First I tried it without Irshell and it did not sork with my Palm Wireless Keyboard. Then I tried it with Irshell and it still did not work. Hopefully compatibility will shoot up by the end of the year. If it's possible to implement a learn fuction then that would be great. So if your keyboard is not supported then you can press "learn" on the PSP then type a letter and then tell the PSP what letter it was for future use. It may get a but tedious to learn all of the keys but after the first time it would be perfect. Also, once this improves other coders should implement the source into their programs so you can use a wireless keyboard with any program. Links and AFKIM would be ideal for use with this.

nene3333
September 9th, 2006, 18:50
It doesn't work for me on a belkin keyboard
arrrggg...http://www.mezimages.com/image/nene33/DSCF1909.jpg
a photo you could use...

Kasumi
September 9th, 2006, 18:57
Me too, blazed.

With this development maybe some manufacturers will make one that folds over the psp face.

There was a video released several days ago.

http://dl.qj.net/PSPik-In-Action-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/9698/catid/189

Video_freak
September 9th, 2006, 18:58
Awesome news. I've been waiting for this... :D

mavsman4457
September 9th, 2006, 19:40
Please report if it works with any of your keyboards.

pspforme!!
September 9th, 2006, 22:38
are they eventually going to make a usb keyboard driver without the ir?

sfish
September 9th, 2006, 22:46
I have a Belkin wireless keyboard. Maybe I'll give this a whirl.

I don't know if you've had a chance, but it only works with three keys on my Belkin Wireless PDA Keyboard:

Caps Lock = dk
Shift = j
Ctrl = d

Not sure why it comes up with that specific mapping, but I'm kind of glad it reponds at all.

mavsman4457
September 9th, 2006, 22:47
are they eventually going to make a usb keyboard driver without the ir?

I don't know of any mini usb keyboards that exist and I'm guessing that the developer of this program doesn't plan on doing it but I bet when the Sony Keyboard comes out, which I think it comes out in march, the developer of this will try to make that compatible. You could make a request for another driver though.

INDIANA_B0NER
September 10th, 2006, 00:04
does this work with a wireless keyboard i got a linksys one but i dont know if like it has to be ir or i need something can anyone help?

nomi
September 10th, 2006, 09:22
I used this with a dell keyboard! it ididnt work. :( !

crackkills
September 10th, 2006, 23:40
nice release this type of tyhing is exactly what the psp need to be the ultimate 'portable' gaming machine. Ive been waiting for this since i heard about the psp keyboard that was never made

LilSwish722
September 10th, 2006, 23:48
Awesome homebrew is great for psp users....but will this work on V2.8 and if it does...will it turn my psp into a brick

Video_freak
September 10th, 2006, 23:50
This won't brick your PSP because it doesn't access the internal flash.

Vangar
September 11th, 2006, 05:28
Oh god yes, i can't wait for this to be complete, i can take my psp and a keyboard to school instead of a load of shitty books.

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 05:50
No doubt,Vangar
It might be a little while before it's implemented widespread

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 05:51
Oh god yes, i can't wait for this to be complete, i can take my psp and a keyboard to school instead of a load of shitty books.
Those will be the days.... :D

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 05:53
My God,yes they will.
All of the dreams I had for using the psp seem to be coming tru,and then some

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 05:54
Then I'll be able to go to this Pocket PC guy and go "Ha! PSP IS better!" *pulls out wireless keyboard*... :D

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 05:57
Have you ever showed him psp-pda before?
Heck,our psp's are definitly going to be better than a pocket pc!

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 05:57
He's got Windows Mobile on it... :(

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 05:59
Is that a frown of disapproval or jealousy?
I despise windows!
This keyboard development is just what we need to get psp-linux kickstarted
I'm guessing dissaproval, since you have the Tux holdin the sign up :)

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 06:00
Is that a frown of disapproval or jealousy?
I despise windows!
This keyboard development is just what we need to get psp-linux kickstarted
I wish we had Windows Mobile for PSP, that's all...

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 06:03
Ah, I see.
We probably won't see that happen,but anything is possible with psp homebrew.

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 06:03
Yeah, we may get BETTER than that. WiFi keyboard support would be awesome! :)

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 06:05
I'm wondering if the keyboard has to be right in front of the IR port?

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 06:07
I'm guessing yes....
A nice little stand would be nice... :)

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 06:10
A stand sounds like a good idea to use this.
Could always throw one together.

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 06:11
Why couldn't Sony just make a nice, official, stand-built-in, fold-out, WiFi keyboard? :(

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 06:13
Cause then they wouldn't sell as many milo's,lol.
I'm pretty sure that's the reason we didn't get an official keyboard.

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 06:15
Shame on Sony.... :(

Nafogel
September 11th, 2006, 06:16
Why couldn't Sony just make a nice, official, stand-built-in, fold-out, WiFi keyboard? :(
Cuz sony feels that they have to try as hard as possible to be difficult. lol, i have to agree with you, why not make one, they are already coming out with the gps and camera attachments, one more aint gonna hurt, and it would definitely sell:confused:

NoQuarter
September 11th, 2006, 06:17
Well I can't blame them,wait a minute sure I can....
Homebrew will probably make the psp just as capable as that thing though.

F9zDark
September 20th, 2006, 17:39
Doesn't work with a pocket top keyboard, which I bought for the last PSP IR Keyboard app that was made by someone on www.ps2dev.org forums (home of the makers of PSP SDK).

From what I understood of that app, the keyboard sends bytes of data over the IR and the program intercepts them and interprets them into keypresses. Sounds easy enough for making 1 keyboard work, but with the hundreds, if not thousands that exist that do not use the same bytes for certain keys, it can be hellish.

This is nothing new to the PSP and it saddens me really; not sure whatever happened to the dev who made the original PSP IR keyboard driver, but chances are if he had continued work on it from then until now(almost a year ago...) he'd have made siginificant headway, probably enough to have had the keyboard stable enough to have been incorporated into Links or AFKIM already...

Now we have to wait until the end of 2006 to see any results with this one, which makes me wonder if we'll ever see an IR keyboard for the PSP that actually has a use.

Cause lets face it, AFKIM is stable enough as it is and I haven't seen any plans for future versions, if this keyboard doesn't get fleshed out ASAP, we may lose any hope of having this integrated into AFKIM. At least Links2 is still being improved upon, there is still hope there...

mr_nick666
September 21st, 2006, 10:10
Me too, blazed.

/\ /\ That will truly be the day :rolleyes:

Great proof of concept :p Nice work! :D

F9zDark
September 22nd, 2006, 18:35
Its not really a "proof of concept", since the FIRST proof of the concept is over a year old.

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2926&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=5ae706b7f046f92d840899a11d7ea49c

I am not downplaying this person's achievement, but this not something 'new'. And while its great that someone else jumped on the bandwagon an 'end of the year' release date makes me question whether or not this will ever see the light of day again.