PDA

View Full Version : PSP2 has 3G, but no phone support

wraggster
January 23rd, 2011, 20:57
The PSP2 will have support for a 3G network connection, but won't be able to make phone calls.

That's according to Nikkei (via Andriasang) who says the new console will be supported by a 3G service provided by NTT DoCoMo in Japan - the country's largest mobile carrier.

This will give the system an always-on connection for online gaming and downloading games and movies, but it will not be a phone.

It's also reported that the system will have Wireless LAN features for when the player is within reach of a zippier WiFi outlet, but the 3G will offer a more permanent internet connection - rather like iPad. The paper makes no mention of subscription fees or pricing details.

The paper also says the machine will have an OLED screen, and a new processor developed especially for the new console that will handle 'high resolution visuals'.

These details come just ahead of a reported event later this week called the 'PlayStation Meeting' where, according multiple reports, Sony is set to finally reveal the PSP2.

Exciting times.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/284901/news/psp2-has-3g-but-no-phone-support/?attr=CVG-General-RSS

Fonixx
January 23rd, 2011, 22:36
Surprise Suprise, another bad decision by Sony. Make it work as a phone and me and many many others have reason to have it by my side 24/7 and that means more money spent on it ala iPhone, but as it is i'd end up using it the same way as my Psp 1 and i'd always have to plan carrying it anywhere.

Mewt Randell
January 25th, 2011, 10:40
@Fonixx
Most consumers already have a phone so why would sony put a phone function on their next portable console?If they did it will only add cost to the system. This actually a good thing compared to the 3Ds Wifi, 3G is much better for online games compared to a Wifi which you need to look for a hotspot.

DPyro
January 25th, 2011, 16:11
They'll probably add a skype app.