PDA

View Full Version : Doom for the Zune SD 1.1

wraggster
January 24th, 2011, 23:23
News via http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/download-openzdk-applications/51403-doom-zune-sd-1-1-a.html

Name: Doom
Version: 1.1
Author: id Software, ported by Netrix (Glenn Anderson), thanks to Red Sky for compiling a working build.
License: Doom Source License

For all original Zunes.

Doom is a first-person shooter released in 1993 by id Software. The shareware WAD (map pack) is included.

Official WADs other than the shareware WAD should work if you can put one of them in the the data folder and remove doom1.wad. If any official WAD does not appear to work, be sure to mention it in this thread.

You can obtain the full version of Doom (Ultimate Doom) as well as the Doom sequels legitimately through Steam. The WAD files should be installed with the game into your Steam directory, where they can be copied in with Doom for Zune SD.

If you happen to have no idea what Doom is, read about it here: Doom (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note:
This is a very basic initial release. It does not have many of the features that the Zune HD version has. This is mainly because I do not have a working original Zune with which to debug/test. I will try to fix my old Zune 30, but if I can not get it to work, the future of Doom for the Zune SD will be uncertain. Someone else would have to take over its development, and I have no idea how many (or what) features would end up being added to it. The other option is for me to buy an original Zune, but as I do not get paid for this work, I would need donations to justify and afford buying another Zune. Donations can be sent to me through PayPal to [email protected].

Controls:
You can move using d-pad. The center button (play on the touch pad) button acts as 'Enter' (select) in the menu and 'Right Ctrl' (shoot) while playing. The back button acts like 'Backspace' (cancel) in the menu. The play button (center on the touch pad Zunes) acts like 'Space' (open) and 'Right Shift' (run) while playing. Flipping the hold switch brings up the menu. Pressing back and up or down changes the weapon.

Known issues:
-There is no option to prevent the Zune from rebooting (yet).
-Only one WAD can be used at a time.
-If the save feature is used, it should only be used with that WAD. For instance, if slot one is used to save with the shareware WAD, then the Plutonia WAD is deployed, attempting to load that slot will cause your Zune to explode.
-Post anything that is not mentioned here.

Yet to come (hopefully):
-WAD selection.
-Post suggestions.