PDA

View Full Version : IDE to GBAMP connection

wraggster
September 9th, 2006, 21:07
New Hardware project from the father of the Passkey, heres an excerpt:

I was busy the past couple of month, so this is the first post after a long while.

To get back to hardware development, I decided to do a quick IDE to GBAMP hack. I also took a few pictures for the few people interested in doing this (at their own risk)

You might not know it, but CompactFlash memory cards use IDE interface; and hence it’s possible to map each IDE pin to a corresponding CF pin. Unfortunately, DS delivers only 3.3V to GBA slot and so an external 5V power supply is required. I used a 11.1V li-poly battery and a DC-DC converter to bring the voltage down to 5V.

More details and screens here --> http://www.natrium42.com/blog/?p=39

Junixx
September 9th, 2006, 21:12
Hah cool, but i dont really see a use for it though

jojotjuh
September 9th, 2006, 22:06
i do, when you can take the hdd on the under side and make the wires some shorter to make a little better look, youd have 40 GB fast disk acces, and best:

fast
check the frigging room! almost all homebrew(not all, as moonshell can take up hundreds of gigs if you wantevery mp3 inn da world) will fit!

oh man this is teh ultimateh hackerzorz!

cons:
itis teh biggeh

Junixx
September 9th, 2006, 22:12
cons:
itis teh biggeh

Lol thats the reason why i didnt think it was too useful for me ;)

kcajblue
September 9th, 2006, 22:22
thats awesome. but its huge. :D

JKKDARK
September 9th, 2006, 22:59
great news

ForeverKeo
September 10th, 2006, 01:40
This is really cool! Though, i was wondering if this could possibly be replicated for other CF Flash cards, like the MMD?

jamesgloucester
September 10th, 2006, 18:15
i was wondering if this could possibly be replicated for other CF Flash cards, like the MMD

Hardware-wise the MMD is almost an exact copy of the GBAMP, so in theory it should work with that, but who would waste their money on a MMD?