PDA

View Full Version : Ruckus 1.0b1 - MP3 Player for DJs

wraggster
September 9th, 2006, 21:30
DSN (http://captaindan.org/sw/ruckus/) has released a new MP3 Player for the PSP:

Ruckus is an MP3 player for the PlayStation Portable that is designed to be used by DJs. It provides most of the functionality of a professional CD player, including cueing with 1/60 second precision, tempo adjustment ±12%, and pitch bend.

This is the first beta release of Ruckus. Until it's been more thoroughly tested, I don't recommend using it at a gig.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Vega
September 9th, 2006, 21:34
This is great. I sincerely hope more and more updates are made for this bit of homebrew. Im a DJ myself and currently only have a set of sound lab belt drive turntables (yea i know), but this will really really come in handy. keep up the good work on this one Ruckus. Well done, and what an excellent idea.

IndianCheese
September 9th, 2006, 22:17
Since you know a great deal about audio editing stuff, could you make a Sony ACID clone and call it like SPEED or something?

JKKDARK
September 9th, 2006, 22:39
Great news. I wan t to use this MP3 Player :)

kcajblue
September 9th, 2006, 22:51
this isnt very useful. unless you are a DJ

PlagueMusic
September 10th, 2006, 00:05
i had to say this. UNCLE RUCKUS!

DragonPimpsta
September 10th, 2006, 01:19
wow looks cool, i gotta try it

John Vattic
September 10th, 2006, 01:20
Oh man i hope this gets full featured :D

mavsman4457
September 10th, 2006, 01:27
This is a sweet program even considering the fact that I'm not a DJ. I've always thought that it would be a great idea to have the click wheel on an ipod be able to scribble some songs. If this program could do that with the analog stick then I would be extremely impressed. I'm not sure how easy or hard that would be but another feature that I would like to see would be even more of an increase of speed. As I said before I am not a DJ but it is funny to hear songs in fast and slow motion and I'd like to see an unlimited increase in speed. Hearing a rapper like Eminem with a high pitched voice is priceless. I can't wait to see what this program ends up being like and I love the graphics and menu on it.

ronaldinho77
September 10th, 2006, 11:37
im a dj and wht u just said would be useless. This is a good tool because it has +/- pitch of 12% like on real decks not limitless. and the scratch function would be lame because as this is for real dj's we have real decks to do tht on, but i suppose sum1 could make a seperate one for u simpletons

StealthCP
September 10th, 2006, 19:12
this isnt very useful. unless you are a DJ
No! That can't be right... Didn't you listen to what the guy said?

Ruckus is an MP3 player for the PlayStation Portable that is designed to be used by DJs...
StealthCP yawns...

Very useful app, I have wanted something like this for a while. Well done :p

Vega
September 11th, 2006, 06:04
Really, if some hard work was put into this, it could be a dream piece of kit for DJs. if there was options like bass / mid / treble reductions, kill switches etc then it could be very sought after. keep up with updates ruckus.

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 06:05
Nice MP3 player. If I DJed, I could compare... :rolleyes:

thumpa
September 11th, 2006, 06:34
man if this had on the fly song switch
it would be off the chain
just think about the possiblites with this program
it's endless
I would rather carry 2 psp's, two 4gb mem sticks,
mixer and speakers
keep up the good work

blackrave
September 11th, 2006, 14:38
This is a great program, not only for DJs. It's fun to play with the sound.

Thanks for making this, DSN! :)

Hungry Horace
September 11th, 2006, 14:56
im a dj and wht u just said would be useless. This is a good tool because it has +/- pitch of 12% like on real decks not limitless.

would be good to go beyond 12% though, and to add pitch correction, as sometimes 12% pitching alone is just not enough.

and the scratch function would be lame because as this is for real dj's we have real decks to do tht on, but i suppose sum1 could make a seperate one for u simpletons

there's no need to be rude. not all DJ's scratch, as some of us find the sound of scratching to be pretty unbarable when done by the majority of DJs!

the fact is nothing should be done to discourage new-comers at DJing for experimenting with this program. perhaps they will enjoy themselves and endevour to learn more about the artform of mixing. who knows? they may not have access to decks or vinyl and be able to brush up or even learn how to do such things. if thei program just gives them a taster and they like it, i'm sure they'll go on to find out more.

i for one am gonna give this a whirl though, and i hope i'll have postive things to say about it!

Baboon
September 11th, 2006, 15:16
This is great. I sincerely hope more and more updates are made for this bit of homebrew. Im a DJ myself and currently only have a set of sound lab belt drive turntables (yea i know), but this will really really come in handy. keep up the good work on this one Ruckus. Well done, and what an excellent idea.

Invest in some 1210's and you wont regret it. I've had mine just over 10 years now and there still going strong (and I havent serviced them once lol)! :)

...although everybody these days seems to be going for the CDJs! :(

This is an intresting app, but I'm not sure how useful it would be? ...surely you would need a second psp to mix a choon into another?

This looks really cool though - something original! :)

Hungry Horace
September 11th, 2006, 15:28
having tried it out now and rather enjoyed it i feel i can say a few things about this program.

yes - ideally you would use 2 PSPs, which is where the app could really benefit from allowing you to switch the screen around. (sideways or up-side down) since i'm already prefering to use it with the D-pad at the top.

however, i'd happily use it along side a CDJ and an turntable for mixing between, without the need for a 2nd PSP.

the Cueing system is a bit clunky, but workable once you know how. i can genuinlly see this being an excellent application, as imho there isnt -that- much more which requires work! (you could add an FX section, or pitch-shifting as i mentioned before, but even without these this program has its use!)

i agree with baboon that CDJs are abit of sacrelidge, but with the price of vinyl these days and the awkardness of lugging all that weight along to a gig, i can see why no one wants to use it anymore! (i certainly avoid it where i can!)

oh and SL-1200's are better :p hehe

Baboon
September 11th, 2006, 15:41
This app has defo got potential! ...please keep at it! :D

oh and SL-1200's are better :p hehe

Thats my one regret in life... not going for silver! lol

avfc-fan
October 6th, 2006, 01:05
I cannot get this to load on my 1.5 - just get message saying ' The game could not be started.(80020130) - can anyone help ?

pibs
October 6th, 2006, 01:10
did you put both files inside your game folder?

Fathom_Zero
October 6th, 2006, 02:59
I seem to have the same problem.

s3vv4
October 15th, 2006, 13:30
why does my music play too fast with this? when i hold it 25% - its on normal speed... help me plz

avfc-fan
October 19th, 2006, 00:58
I did put both the Ruckus_________'' & RUCKUS~1% folders into the game folder & it will not run (message as before -' The game could not be started.(80020130)).

Any ideas ? I am using a 1.5

thaforgottenone
October 19th, 2006, 08:37
nice...i really like this.... not trying to hate or sound mean...but it needs more functions like using the stick to make live scratches...meaning it can pull/play a track backwards and and push forward and wav playable....just my two cents.... still a good mp3 player

xplizit
January 12th, 2007, 13:23
whoever took that screenshot has got great taste in music anyway :]