PDA

View Full Version : Quake 3 source code

mickmos
September 10th, 2006, 01:08
I think i remember someone saying that if you have a source code of a game its alot easier to port than a game without the source code i was looking on the intenet and for this http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7547
Do you think its possible to port quake 3 over to psp or is it too advanced

PlagueMusic
September 10th, 2006, 03:09
i think it could be possible but be like .00000002 fps

JKKDARK
September 10th, 2006, 03:15
yes, this game has great graphics. A little hard..

gpeters
September 11th, 2006, 20:15
I think this was discussed, but was said it would be near impossible due to the amount of memory Q3 needed to load and the lack there of the PSP has to offer.

DPyro
September 12th, 2006, 00:09
Theres a little thing called Iris that can render Quake 3 maps ;)

yaustar
September 12th, 2006, 13:56
Honestly it does seem possible to get it at a playable speed on the PSP. The main problem is that the engine is HUGE to port over for a single developer.

HardHat
September 25th, 2006, 06:08
In the spring I was working on Q3A source to add support for MD3 models in the survival horror clone game I've been working on. At the time I was convinced that it's memory usage is too demanding. But I was recently discussing this on #pspdev, and they provided an arguement that it shouldn't be totally discounted. If no one else picks this up, I may start working on it again. It is just 45,000 lines of C code afterall. :-)

I'd be doing a native GU port, if I were to officially start.

MarkNizzle
September 25th, 2006, 06:33
that would be soo nice i love Q3

dagger89
September 25th, 2006, 07:47
In the spring I was working on Q3A source to add support for MD3 models in the survival horror clone game I've been working on. At the time I was convinced that it's memory usage is too demanding. But I was recently discussing this on #pspdev, and they provided an arguement that it shouldn't be totally discounted. If no one else picks this up, I may start working on it again. It is just 45,000 lines of C code afterall. :-)

Jaw drops.... damn, the most i ever wrote was 700 lines.... god.... thats a TON of work

quzar
September 25th, 2006, 09:39

Quake 3 had a port to the Dreamcast, which has half the ram of the psp. Memory shouldn't be THAT big a concern...

Be3f
September 25th, 2006, 12:38

No one else will pick this up... McZonc tried and soon gave up... :( So, you will be the Greatest Homebrew PSP-Developer in universe, if you'll do it! :rolleyes: It would be more than awesome!!! :rolleyes:

Mourningstar
September 28th, 2006, 04:46
If DC can do it then PSP can do it...

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 05:24
If DC can do it then PSP can do it...

Since when?

brainpan
September 28th, 2006, 05:35
There is a commercial version of Quake 3 for DC. I owned it and it was good. :)

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 05:39
There is a commercial version of Quake 3 for DC. I owned it and it was good. :)

Yes, I know. How does that show that the PSP can do anything the DC can though?

Cap'n 1time
September 28th, 2006, 08:31
heh, quzar is very defensive when it comes to the DC, as are most of us. As I understand it, the DC's KOS is much more advanced and further along then the PSP homebrew SDK. I am sure quzar could share many other reasons why the DC is a very capable machine.

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 08:36
Well, I just was mostly wondering where it was established that the PSP can do whatever the DC can. As I've never seen any sort of consensus as to that, not even from different PSP coders.

the_eternal_dark
September 28th, 2006, 10:24
I'd say we'll never see this port come through unless it's cloned through Iris. If the PSP could do what the DC could do, I'd be shocked, the DC is a bit more advanced in the capabilities department.

*off topic* Why doesn't Sega shock the world with an insane handheld? It'd definately be unexpected and welcomed I'd think (just as long as we won't get another gamegear type of thing, it was a brick!)

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 10:42
There was speculation of a Dreamcast portable, as hardware exists that is basically a dreamcast on a chip.

anyways... carry about.

richyrich
October 13th, 2006, 19:36
if you were able to port quake 3 to psp would you also be able to get wolfenstein enemy territory to run on the psp, i know it sounds a bit much but i was just wondering because wolfenstein enemy territory runs on the same quake 3 engine.
just wondering ;)

Source code here: http://www.fileplanet.com/136238/130000/fileinfo/Enemy-Territory-Source-Code

quzar
October 13th, 2006, 20:57
if you were able to port quake 3 to psp would you also be able to get wolfenstein enemy territory to run on the psp, i know it sounds a bit much but i was just wondering because wolfenstein enemy territory runs on the same quake 3 engine.
just wondering ;)

Source code here: http://www.fileplanet.com/136238/130000/fileinfo/Enemy-Territory-Source-Code

I LOVE wolf ET. where quake 3 goes it can go.

richyrich
October 13th, 2006, 22:34
I LOVE wolf ET. where quake 3 goes it can go.
yeah same et owns! xD i love it lol
woah imagine that..wolfenstein et on a psp and everyone playing online :o
that would be soo kool :D

brainpan
October 13th, 2006, 23:04
quzar says.........Yes, I know. How does that show that the PSP can do anything the DC can though?

It doesnt and that wasnt what I was implying so dont assume...k ;) I just thought I'd share some info for those that didn't know. :)

kando
October 13th, 2006, 23:07

the rest of you guys are doubting the psp's processing power....check out tekken: Dark ressurection....cmon now. the psp can DEFINATLY handle q3. and the facts support it :)

im hopin hardhat gets workin on that, i'd love to see that ported :)

psiko_scweek
October 14th, 2006, 04:23
im not doubting the PSP or anything but how can we get a port of Quake 3 when we cant even get a complete port of Quake 2?

just asking!

also remember Tekken was written ground up to be on the PSP and PS2 whereas Quake 3 was written to be on the the PC. Different Processors....lol

richyrich
October 14th, 2006, 08:44
we don't know unless we try it :D
this would be so good and i really hope someone gives this ago ;) they would be the best coder ever xD

BrooksyX
October 15th, 2006, 02:08
I am pretty sure that the psp could handle a quake 3 port. It would require a very talented and dedicated coder(s). It would also probably have to be dumbed down a bit if possible.

Technicolour
November 8th, 2006, 19:54
They have quake 3 for the PDA, I ever played it myself on mine, (A lowly 400mhz, 32mb of ram thing, none of that dedicated graphics chip you see on new PDA's) And I got a almost playable 10fps. the PSP of course does have a slower clockspeed (Although I'm not sure you ARM and MIPS are Apple to Apple), but it does have the dedicated graphics chip.

Technicolour
November 8th, 2006, 19:57
http://www.noctemware.com/q3ce.html

Here's a link to said quake 3 for PSP, hell it appears it even has limited online support. rock on.

PeterM
November 9th, 2006, 09:52
Yup, and that's for a PDA with 32+ MB of RAM. The PSP only has 24 usable MB, which makes things considerably harder.

Also note that the DC version of Quake would have had support from id Software to help them get the memory usage down. It would have had different (smaller size) map and model files, and countless other things trimmed down.

Sure it's possible to do preprocessing on maps, textures, models etc etc to bring them down in size, but even then the Quake 3 engine was written for PCs with a lot of ram (and virtual memory) to spare.

Quake 2 was also written with virtual memory in mind, which makes it hard to port to PSP. If you take a look at the code, it uses mmap on Linux and VirtualAlloc on Windows.

Quake 1 however was written for DOS, which makes it particularly thoughtful when memory usage is concerned.

HardHat
November 16th, 2006, 18:55
http://www.noctemware.com/q3ce.html

Here's a link to said quake 3 for PSP, hell it appears it even has limited online support. rock on.

Hmm...not particularly encouraging to have it require 64 Megs of RAM is it. Well, I may try once I finish my current 3D game project.

rehbock
November 16th, 2006, 19:33
Q3a is not possible to port to the psp.
The Q2 already eats all Ram what should Q3 do ?
Maybe to run a Easy Tech demo would be possible but not to play it.

quzar
November 16th, 2006, 19:35
Q3a is not possible to port to the psp.
The Q2 already eats all Ram what should Q3 do ?
Maybe to run a Easy Tech demo would be possible but not to play it.

Q3ta was made to run on the Dreamcast which has half the ram of a psp. Silly psp users whining about not enough ram =P

rehbock
November 16th, 2006, 19:40
ahm Q3a wasnt a Homebrew on Dc it was a Fullgame by id.
You could programm a lot if you had full access to the Firmware look at Gta3 it was ported to the Psp ,too
but on homebrew way it would be impossible.

Cap'n 1time
November 16th, 2006, 21:31
ahm Q3a wasnt a Homebrew on Dc it was a Fullgame by id.
You could programm a lot if you had full access to the Firmware look at Gta3 it was ported to the Psp ,too
but on homebrew way it would be impossible.

why is it impossible.. If your thinking that the hombrew SDK is miles behind the official psp SDK maybe it would be difficult but.. If anything your comments just proved it is possible. It would take a talented coder that knew the hardware well and had alot of time, but some form of quake 3 (and probably comparable to the DC version) could be done.. the question is not exactly can it happen it's will it happen? (probably not). Keep in mind the SDK is constantly being updated and new things are added all the time. It will most likely eventually be on par with the Official one if it isnt already.

PeterM
November 17th, 2006, 08:52
Duh, of course it could be done, but the resulting source code wouldn't necessarily look anything like the original...

mcvader
November 17th, 2006, 11:31
It's possible, but the only way I can see it happening is if ID did an official port themselves. The DC versions got smaller maps and such but still looks about as good as the PC version, but that was commercial, maybe if a dozen homebrew coders quit their day jobs and worked 8 hours a day for months on end it would happen, but I can't see that happening. I Think time would be better spent working on Iris, I don't know why nobody has already, I'm sure PSMonkey would give his full support to anybody willing.

HardHat
November 22nd, 2006, 20:55
It's possible, but the only way I can see it happening is if ID did an official port themselves. The DC versions got smaller maps and such but still looks about as good as the PC version, but that was commercial, maybe if a dozen homebrew coders quit their day jobs and worked 8 hours a day for months on end it would happen, but I can't see that happening. I Think time would be better spent working on Iris, I don't know why nobody has already, I'm sure PSMonkey would give his full support to anybody willing.

Well, if I were bidding on making an official port of a commercial game, I would factor in whether I had access to the source code or not. With Iris I do not, with Q3A I do. That helps immensely. The biggest problem is RAM use from what most people say. The CE port says that it recommends 40 MB free instead of 24 MB free. So that is an issue. The problem I'm currently running into with my MD3 character support in my game engine is that each character is using about 8 MB of RAM (which probably could be optimized). That is great if there are only two characters on screen (with game eboot+map+sounds), but if I need to show 8 characters, I lose.

On the other hand ioquake3 now supports MD4 which is way more memory efficient. It was a proposed format for Quake 3, but not completed in time. It is a skeletal animation format, instead of point morphing format and tends to use 1/50th the memory. So I believe that the PSP would have enough RAM to make it happen with those more memory efficient models. The CPU requirements for Q3A is 266 MHz Pentium II, so that is within reach of a 33 MHz PSP in my opinion.

So there are about 6 programmers working full time on making a nice clean portable version of Q3A via ioquake3. So I wouldn't give up yet. But for now I have three other games to make for the DCEmu compo (I hope to have two of them finished in time for the deadline).

One last point: it isn't massive numbers of programmer to do a port, it is more likely massive numbers of artists. That would make levels smaller, and less taxing.

spudhead2121
November 23rd, 2006, 17:48
Hi guys and girls I just found this port of Q3 to shockwaves I don't know if it will help any thing just thought I should make sure you are aware of it. Maybe you can use some of the code. Heres the Digg Story [URL="http://digg.com/playable_web_games/Play_Quake_3_Directly_in_your_Browser!"]

Is it possible to add Virtual RAM to the PSP, If homebrewers can't can Sony?

spudhead2121
November 24th, 2006, 01:32
I thinks its unlikly to happen It would be better for some devs to get together and write a 3D FPS engine for the PSP. Or find a Open Source FPS game engine made for the MIPS CPU, I have googled and Wikied it and found nothing

Stump
December 19th, 2006, 15:14
does anyone got a Link to Quake III Homebrew??

PeterM
December 21st, 2006, 08:09
does anyone got a Link to Quake III Homebrew??

Have you read and understood any of this thread?!

:rolleyes:

Pender666
May 16th, 2007, 00:13
just wondering ;)

It would be possible. Both Quake 3 & Wolfenstein was ported for PS2 ( MIPS Processor).
Someone can give a look in the PS2 version of the games and use it like a base for a port.

PeterM
May 16th, 2007, 08:08
How exactly would that help?

We couldn't legally distribute any of their assets, and it would be a nightmare to get anything meaningful from reverse engineering their code.

Pender666
May 17th, 2007, 03:11
Comparing the optimizations done in the PS2 version ( with memory usage, downgraded graphics & etc...) with the source code.

gambiting
May 17th, 2007, 16:49
Yes,we do have a source code,and yes,it was ported to ps2 and dreamcast,but - A big staff of advanced coders was working on it and they have used official systems SDKs.Look at Quake 2 - we have it's source code,and someone(I don't remember his name now,sorry) after months of hard work managed to get it work on psp....with no original maps loading and almost playable framerate.There is no point in arguing that work to be done on q3 port would be much more difficult,it would take months if done by one person,and another few months to get it running in playable framerate....which is hardly possible.I don't say it's impossible,it's just too difficult.

Cap'n 1time
May 17th, 2007, 17:22
Like gambiting said. Many people were involved in the commercial port of the game. They had much more advanced resources than we have (not knocking the pspsdk) and they were getting paid to do it. While it certainly does prove that it is possible, it is very unlikely. Even the mighty ~800 mhz x86 xbox plays its homebrew port of Quake 3 very quirky... which is sort of strange actually as it has plenty of juice and they were using a stolen SDK... whatever.