PDA

View Full Version : Was it even worth it?

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 10th, 2006, 10:53
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0002HA7FY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
13 days ago i went to stables and got this device because i could not stand dial up. This hotel has high speed wireless internet so I thought an adaptor was the way to go due to a lack of ethernet jacks. Well I bought it but im not sure if its point is to pick up signals from this router
http://images.belkin.com/F5D7633uk4/STD1_F5D7633uk4.jpg
or from any wireless signal period. Its given me the hotel's internet name and an IP but thats it.

My questions
1. Is this USB connector truly to pick up any wireless signal.
2. Why does it say "little or no activity" on the status?
3. Is 56% signal strength truly enough?
4. Is 56Mbps a good speed?
5. Is a wireless network the same as wireless internet?

I got all this because it was small. I was in no mood to install a card but i would.

ACID
September 10th, 2006, 12:12
Sonds slower then dial up. I mean mi connection is12 gbits per sec. So i remember the days of 56mbps to slowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Malksta
September 10th, 2006, 12:35
I've got the excact same thing's but i dont exprience any problem's with it.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 10th, 2006, 14:18
malkster what do YOU use IT FOR? Is it for picking up any internet signal?

And how good is 56Mbps in comparison to Cable, DSL, and 56k?

Tomlo
September 10th, 2006, 16:34
Sonds slower then dial up. I mean mi connection is12 gbits per sec. So i remember the days of 56mbps to slowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Thats 56Mbps, not 56kbps like dialup. 56mbps is much more than enough fo most people and I highly doubt you have a 12gbps line in your house if they are even in existance. Heck even 1gbps lines are just recently making their way into the mainstream market.

tallica
September 10th, 2006, 22:37
56% should be enough for a good speed connection. my wireless internet averages around 45 and its fine. A wireless network is wireless internet.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 11th, 2006, 11:20
but i didget the right device? and 56mbps is as fast as cable? what cazn i compare that speed to?

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 11th, 2006, 20:48
come on any1 else wanna add anything?

Tomlo
September 11th, 2006, 21:56
56mbps is much faster than any internet connection you will ever encounter, the best of the best out now is only like 2mbps

Morph
September 12th, 2006, 01:48
Thats 56Mbps, not 56kbps like dialup. 56mbps is much more than enough fo most people and I highly doubt you have a 12gbps line in your house if they are even in existance. Heck even 1gbps lines are just recently making their way into the mainstream market.

DSO6 Class fiber run exclusively for the US military has somethin in the ball park of 500GB/s

Tomlo
September 12th, 2006, 05:46
DSO6 Class fiber run exclusively for the US military has somethin in the ball park of 500GB/s

Oh I know that their is large "Internet Pipelines" That corperations and military branches use, by saying that I doubt that 12gb lines are in existance I was refering to the most you could get feed into a home as in DSL/CABLE/T-CARRIER. Possibly 12mbps but that would be pushing it.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 13th, 2006, 11:03
offten times i pist shit in my USB ports and it barely registers. I have to wait for the new hardware icon to pop up. Is the light supposed to blink?

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 13th, 2006, 14:17
sum guy at my skool who knos everything about comps said iu needed a card and not usb. is he right? will a desktop accept this?

Tomlo
September 13th, 2006, 17:51
When the light blinks the device is probally busy. You can buy a wireless card but im not sure if it would get signals any better than what you have now and Im fairly certin it wouldnt be much faster. USB2.0 should offer more than enough bandwidth for anything, If your using USB1.0 ports then DO get a card.

ACID
September 13th, 2006, 18:30
mi bad i put a 2 bi mistake your right is 1gbps. And i thought you said 56k but if its 56mbps you chould be more then fine:D

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 14th, 2006, 23:12
so how do i kno if my USB is 1.0 and dont say call Dell either..

Tomlo
September 15th, 2006, 03:12
Go to My Computer and right click it and go to properties, Click on the hardware tab, click on device manager, scroll to the bottom and expand the item labeled Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Several Items should apear, If any of them have the word "Enhanced" in them then you have USB 2.0 Ports.

If you dont see the word "Enhanced" anywhere then either the USB2.0 ports are not setup or likely you have an older version of USB ports.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 15th, 2006, 14:12
how old could it be? its a demension 3000 and i got it like a year ago! it keeps sayin shit about the windows logo not matchin eventhough its for XP as said on the disk. my USB ports are constantly doing or not doing plug n play. I gotta take stuff out and put it back in or change things. It keeps saying "little or no activity" so i dont kno what to do. maybe 1 of u can get on my comp and help me

Tomlo
September 15th, 2006, 15:09
The Demension 3000 has USB2.0 ports but you need Windows XP SP2 for them to work. As for little or no connectivity that means that the wireless network is not operating at 100% efficency, like you said its working at 56% efficency which is plenty for any tasks you would need.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 15th, 2006, 16:37
how big is SP2 and how do i kno if ive got it? Plenty for any task? the only task i want itto work for IS THE 1 INVOLVING IT WORKING. It want allow me to get on the internet. thats the problem. no pw needed for the network it just want operate on that.

Tomlo
September 15th, 2006, 23:59
To find if you have SP2 then go to My Computer right click it and go to properties. If you see the words "Service Pack 2" anywhere on that screen then you have it. Otherwise you get it from Microsoft.com

As for your wireless network adapter not letting you online, Their could be a number of problems wrong. Are you sure its making a connection?

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 17th, 2006, 03:38
but its ok just to have the belkin receiver alone? i dont use a belkin router just a signal from the hotel.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 22nd, 2006, 16:13
okay im startingto think the issue is my Dell's hardware. How would I go about checking the USB drives since I have a hunch thats the problem. I guess I'm going to have to have them replaced but I'm still under warranty so no fees only a wait. Of course i dont want em seeing my hard drive or disk info. I wonder if you can just send them parts to replace?

Tomlo
September 22nd, 2006, 17:48
Im sure your usb's are fine.