PDA

View Full Version : NJ updates his CPS2 emulator again! (10/09/06)

Skye
September 10th, 2006, 17:05
NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/index.html) has fixed the bugs, that he had in his last beta version. Here is a quick translation via google

The modification point is to be rather many, but the effect which it corresponds to hardship completely not seeing.With the unreasonable [tsu] lever you abandoned the improvement of speed above this already.The after all place, as for about 7 tenths of processing with the feeling which depends on the processing of video emulation the shank. When it is CPS2, when it is the usual game picture, unless the 1000~1500 about sprite must be drawn in one picture, because, it is rather hard, don't you think? is. If equal to number the combining [e] which is about 2 times that NEOGEO. By the way, doing the sound mixing with ME, speed does not rise and after (on the other hand speed goes down with synchronous processing, sound unstably). If it tries turning sound to OFF, it is understood, but almost there is no load, it is, don't you think? assuming, that (perhaps speed rose, it probably is 1fps).
When after, it compiles with kernel mode, it seems that the person who is thought that speed rises, is, but it does not rise. With only kernel mode such as network the processing and active memory which cannot be used just increases about 300~400KB. With being the case that it is said, temporarily, CPS2 leaving for a while with this, starts CPS1. romcnv.exe was renewed. Correction of trouble of the below-mentioned drawing as for the game which does. Please do again to draw up cash file. Correcting the trouble of drawing of the game below. Street fighter ZERO 2: Left and right of the victory mark of ranking indication is strange. Part priority of opening demonstration is strange.  Score of the top and bottom of ranking indication of the [maitei] pan is not processed the mask.  [ezahoden] pre-world war 2 demonstration is not indicated in normally with D&D S.O.M. Part sprite of [pazurupu] 2 is not indicated. (Bug of ROM converter. Correction being completed). In every game texture size modification to optimum value.  But, because it was allotted at the value to which problem does not happen originally as for speed the change. It tried not to read the PCM data when sound is made invalid. It corresponds to the paddle input of [pazurupu] 2. (The same method as forgottn of CPS1PSP). Modifying the calculation method of the pallet. Whether fading out and the like somewhat became good. C68K substantially rewriting. (The M68000 core was drawn up anew, but bug correction and the like Because it is not in time, utilizing continuation C68K. Because speed does not change almost, This way whether it does,) Z80 modification to CZ80 which customizes the core. CZ80 is to be lacking a little in accuracy, but Because it is not the strange sound driver different from NEOGEO, especially problem seems that does not occur.  Because there is a bug, it corrected. There is no compatibility of the state data attendant upon above-mentioned and modification. it is the schedule which even in formal edition and is modified. Is not bug, is, but the case where with the grapple game Raster Effects is turned to OFF the gap of the background part Cancellation. However, because drawing of the picture increases, (about average 1~2fps) speed falls somewhat.
 * Really, as for speed it is to improve delicately but you deducted with this correction and when such as zero whether. Other things, detailed modification point large number.

Here is what our wonderful translator b8a (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/member.php?u=8250) had translated from NJ's website earlier today before the release was made.

-For the time being, the fixes for the M68000 bug are finished, and now if I can root out the CZ80 bugs it looks like I'll be able to release the fix version. Upon reverting to test 5's Z80, the speed dropped quite a bit, so I'd like to stick with CZ80 as much as possible.
-The CZ80 bugs are also fixed, I've checked all of the opcodes and found problems with some cycle counts and flag math and have fixed them. Maybe I'll be able to release this tonight?

Download and Give feedback via comments.

Baboon
September 10th, 2006, 17:14
Yep already tried it (and put it in the submit news) and it works a treat!

Im glad he hasnt abandoned CPS1 either! :)

Cheers NJ!

emuking
September 10th, 2006, 17:28
really nice :D

Mr. Shizzy
September 10th, 2006, 17:36
I Love this emu! I am always glad to see it updated. So is marvel vs capcom at a playable speed now? I didn't really bother with that game before b/c it was so choppy. Either way thanks for the update NJ! :) :D :)

siulmagic
September 10th, 2006, 17:40
its very unlikely that mvs will be at full speed eny time soon that games changes background and texture very fast

JKKDARK
September 10th, 2006, 17:50
thank you, NJ. You are my hero :)

psp828
September 10th, 2006, 18:24
i always thought that mvsc was at full speed along with all the other vs games they just had to load alote its better now.

siulmagic
September 10th, 2006, 18:26
nah nj said i previus version that mvs was probly nevr gona be ful speed do to the cache files being read to slow cus of the psp memory card reader speed, thas something he canot fix

Pumped'Up
September 10th, 2006, 18:32
Is there a way to run romcnv.exe as a batch for a list of roms? It's annoying to do each and every game...

jinqui242
September 10th, 2006, 19:52
Did the Read Me state that we have to run the ROMs through the cache converter again? I wasn't clear on that.

samthegreat68
September 10th, 2006, 20:02
marvel vs capcom runs really good on 1 frameskip.

hack.fool
September 10th, 2006, 20:47
mvsc run really good by default...
I'm using the same cache that I made with the first beta release but seem every thing works fine...

:)

thanks Nj

BL4Z3D247
September 10th, 2006, 20:48
awesome i love waking up to great news

NovaKane
September 10th, 2006, 21:22
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter runs the best out of the versus series. MVC will never be at full speed, but it's still playable. I wondered if NJ noticed that Super Turbo still is missing a lot of animations, the map, life bars etc. NJ is still the man though. Keep up the great work!

funy56
September 10th, 2006, 21:30
Doesn't work on my psp 2.6 The old verison which use GTA eloader does work...

jeffred
September 10th, 2006, 21:55
Thanks for the excellent release NJ. By the way, I think you have to run your roms through the cache program again. This release has ver 3 with it and test 5 was ver 2

Skye
September 10th, 2006, 22:23
Yep already tried it (and put it in the submit news) and it works a treat!

Im glad he hasnt abandoned CPS1 either! :)

Cheers NJ!

Sorry about that, didn't check the submit news forum. =(

Baboon
September 10th, 2006, 22:47
Sorry about that, didn't check the submit news forum. =(

Hey no worries, I was just as keen as yourself for this site to get the news first! :D

I've been having loadsa fun with this emulator... but I just cant beat the final boss of Marvel vs capcom (even with as many continues as I want). :eek:

NJ I salute you! :)

aries2k4
September 10th, 2006, 23:35
nice work Nj. just got home from work and was going to test your 1st beta, lol. gotto dump that one and try this one.

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 00:05
Nice update! Thanks! :)

EsCO823
September 11th, 2006, 01:00
It seems Aliens vs Predator has glitches :(

migsgiz
September 11th, 2006, 01:22
custom cps1 icon & bg and im working on cps2 icon b/g?http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35351
MY UP DATE 10023
I KNOW IT LOOK CORNY, BUT IT SOMETHING TO HOLD YOU TELL BETTER COMES ALONG!

vettacossx
September 11th, 2006, 05:27
sweeeeet i love this emu its a dream come true for me !!!

ok for 60-88FPS with marvel vs capcom simply press start and select to bring up the menu then press circle on the tab labled: game configuration make sure vsync is off and make so 60fps limit is off......for even faster results disable the sound... hope this satisfy's you as much as it did me gr8 release nj marvel vs capcom at 60- 88 frames per sec.. WOW and they said it couldnt be done do to memory same with n64....just goes to show what an idea and a bit of old fashion will can create!!!

ACID
September 11th, 2006, 05:40
Thank you so much NJ.

isamu
September 11th, 2006, 05:52
I gotta potentially silly question.

Can you run CPS1 games in this CPS2 emu? Or do you need to go and grab nj's CP1 emu in order to play CPS1 games?

If so, which emu runs better and is better compatible?

Video_freak
September 11th, 2006, 05:53
Awesome! Keep up the great work NJ. We're all supporting you! :)

10shu
September 11th, 2006, 06:02

Can you run CPS1 games in this CPS2 emu? Or do you need to go and grab nj's CP1 emu in order to play CPS1 games?

Nope...Cps2 emu play cps2 roms only...
you need to install both emulator to play all your CPS roms...

toyo
September 11th, 2006, 06:36
thanks NJ! It works like a charm, freakin awesome dude! cant wait for the next release :)

razorak
September 11th, 2006, 09:41
hope it works with the tiff eloader =)

ACID
September 11th, 2006, 09:49

Different codes so you need bought.:eek:

Ok just tryed it and it doesnt show the games. Thoes this mean i have to convert all mi games again with the converter.:confused:

Sturaiku
September 11th, 2006, 14:21
hope it works with the tiff eloader =)

Ive tried using the tiff loader with every CPS2 test he made, I've never gotten past "loading sprite cache."
The only way I got it to work was with the GTA thing. (2.0 user about to downgrade btw)

Anyway, this emu works WONDERS with XMVSF, it has the fastest fps of them all, and the rest of the vs. games are at decent fps now. SFA series has improved, SFA1, having no slowdown whatsoever, and SFA3 having little to no slowdown! I love this emu!

Baboon
September 11th, 2006, 14:25
Ive tried using the tiff loader with every CPS2 test he made, I've never gotten past "loading sprite cache."
The only way I got it to work was with the GTA thing. (2.0 user about to downgrade btw)

Anyway, this emu works WONDERS with XMVSF, it has the fastest fps of them all, and the rest of the vs. games are at decent fps now. SFA series has improved, SFA1, having no slowdown whatsoever, and SFA3 having little to no slowdown! I love this emu!

Yep xmen vs streetfighter is totaly amazing now! ..and very playable!

NJ never ceases to amaze! :D

neosan
September 11th, 2006, 14:31
Do we need to run the roms through the converter again??

Baboon
September 11th, 2006, 14:34
Do we need to run the roms through the converter again??

I didnt have to again, and everything I've tried is working fine.

neosan
September 11th, 2006, 14:38
Thanks, wasn't sure since it looked like he updated the
romcnv.exe again.

razorak
September 11th, 2006, 14:42

i've loaded it successfully with the tiff eloader. u have to modify the loader098.cfg

add in this text (just copy and paste)

[CPS2PSP_3ccd12a6]
#************************************************* ************************#
#* CAPCOM CPS2 Emulator for PSP test 5 *#
#*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*#
#* LOADER: 0.98 *#
#* TIFF: 2.0 - YES : Only the small size games can be played. *#
#* GTA: 2.0 - YES *#
#* GTA: 2.01 - YES *#
#* GTA: 2.5 - YES *#
#* GTA: 2.6 - YES *#
#************************************************* ************************#
ebootname=CPS2PSP test 5
limitedMemoryManager=Y

why wait till now to donwgrade to 2.0 btw?

neosan
September 11th, 2006, 14:45
Razorak: You wouldn't know what is needed you need to add for CPS1 and NEOGEO would you?

razorak
September 11th, 2006, 14:51
nope...that text was from NJ himself...u may want to try twitching it on your own though

neosan
September 11th, 2006, 15:23
[CPS2PSP_3ccd12a6] is the exact name of the app which is needed for the loader98.cfg, wasn't there a tool you point to a eboot.psp and get the app name out of it?

Once you have the app names, the setting for the CPS1 and NEOGEO emulators should be the same.

Ghartman
September 11th, 2006, 15:24
Wassup guys?I am trying to load X-Men vs Streetfighter at the moment (Euro 960910),created and installed the cache files.I have also modified an ini file with the necessary info but when I go to the roms folder in cps2psp the name of the rom is grey and I get the 'This game doesn't work' warning.Am I doing something wrong?Is it that I am possibly using the wrong rom?Please help.Thanks.

neosan
September 11th, 2006, 15:31
make sure you have the correct parent rom, normally the largest of the bunch, and then the euro as well.

Ghartman
September 11th, 2006, 15:46
The euro I've got is 22.4mb.What else would I need?Say,for example I had the large file and a small file for the same game would I unzip both combine all files and re-zip again?:confused: Thanks.

b8a
September 11th, 2006, 16:16
For anyone interested, I've done a once-over translation of the release notes for this version:

What's Changed beta (bug fix version)
-Updated romcnv.exe. Please reconstruct the cache files for the games noted below that I have fixed screen draw problems for.

-Fixed screen draw problems in the following games.
Street Fighter ZERO 2: The sides of the victory mark in the ranking displays is funny. (Fixed)
A portion of the priority in Vampire Saviour's opening demo is funny.(Fixed)
The above and below scores in the ranking display in Mighty Pang weren't being masked. (Fixed)
The demo just prior to the battle with Ezza Hoden in D&D S.O.M. doesn't display correctly. (Fixed)
A portion of the sprites in Puzz Loop 2 aren't being displayed. (This was a bug with the ROM converter. Fixed)

-Set an optimal value for the texture size for each game.
However, it was originally allocated to a value that didn't cause any problems, so the speed hasn't changed much.

-Made it so that it won't load PCM data when the sound is turned off.

-Implemented paddle input for Puzz Loop 2. (The same methoud as CPS1PSP's forgottn)

-Changed the palette calculation methoud. Fade out, etc... have probably slightly improved.

-Largely rewrote C68K. (I've newly reconstructed the M68000 core, however, since I wasn't able to get the bug fixes and what not in on time, I'm continuing to use C68K. The speed really doesn't change much so I may just end up going with this altogether)

-Changed to CZ80 using a customizes Z80 core. The CZ80 is slightly lacking in correctness, but since there bugs I've fixed it.

-Due to the fixes mentioned above, state save compatibility has been lost.
I also plan to change it once again in the official version.

-It's not a bug but, eliminated a portion of the misalignment in the BG of fighting games when Raster Effects is set to Off. However, since the amount of drawing is increased, the speed drops slightly (about 1 to 2 fps on average).
*Actually, the speed increased slightly, but taking this fix into consideration, you could say that the increase is pretty much zero.

-Many other minor changes.

------------------------------------------------------------
There's quite a few changes, however I'm not seeing any effects that reflect the effort put into it.
It looks like it's impossible to raise the speed any more, so I've given up trying.
In the end, it looks like approximately 70% of the processing is being devoted to the video emulation processing. With CPS2, the average game must draw around 1000 to 1500 separate sprites on any given screen, so it's pretty demanding. Putting it strictly in numerical terms, I'd say it's approximately twice as much NEOGEO.
Additionally, the speed doesn't improve by doing the sound mixing in the ME (on the contrary, in addition to the speed dropping on the simultaneous processing, the sound is unstable). I think you'll see what I mean if you turn the sound off, but there really isn't any sound burden (if the speed were to increase, it'd probably be by about around 1fps).
Also, there may be people that think that the speed would increase by compiling this in kernel mode, but it does not. The only things that are gained are features such as networking that are only available in kernel mode, and only an additional 300-400KB of memory.

That being said, for the time being, I'm going to put CPS2 aside and get to work on CPS1.

Hmmm, I'm still getting bug reports that screens in ssf2t are funny...
I don't know how many times this'll be that I've said this, but it isn't a bug. You just haven't correctly constructed the cache file. Please reconstruct the the file with the romcnv.exe included with the beta download.
1. Place ssf2.zip and ssf2t.zip in the same file.
2. Launch romcnv.exe, and select ssf2t.zip.
3. Wait a little bit, and ssf2t_cache.zip will be constructed in the cache folder.
4. Copy ssf2t_cache.zip to the cache folder inside the cps2psp folder inside of the PSP folder.
Correct screens are on the left. Screens on the right occur when the process was not performed correctly.
<<PLEASE SEE HIS SITE FOR EXAMPLE SCREEN SHOTS -- b8a>>
I will not address this issue any more.

neosan
September 11th, 2006, 18:06
Ghartman: The Emulator recognizes the parent file when you launch the smaller ones, it will automatically go back to the parent, so no you do not need to unzip and combine.

Ghartman
September 11th, 2006, 18:46
Thanks a lot neosan it's working!Much appreciated:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sturaiku
September 12th, 2006, 06:53
i've loaded it successfully with the tiff eloader. u have to modify the loader098.cfg

add in this text (just copy and paste)

why wait till now to donwgrade to 2.0 btw?

50% laziness, and 50% cautiousness, im going to a local gaming shop that downgrades PSPs, they do it for free, so I think I can trust em. (Hook ups on the free part, and not to mention they've done it a lot.)

razorak
September 12th, 2006, 07:11
What happens if they brick it?? i'm curious...they must give u a warranty or something which is why u dun do it yourself...lol

bw the chance of that happening is very low with e MPH downgrader