PDA

View Full Version : 51 Hours Left to Live

Cmdr Sheppard
March 6th, 2011, 20:07
I saw this thread on Facepunch and found it interesting, so now I'm sharing it. A man is going to commit suicide in 51 hours, well actually about 34 hours now, and he's online answering questions about his life, his disease, assisted suicide, and various other things, before he pulls the plug on himself.

The man, known as 'Lucidending' on Reddit is suffering from an incurable form of cancer and is in a lot of pain, and so he wants to just end his suffering now with dignity. He lives in Oregon, where it is legal to kill yourself under certain circumstances, and his doctor is setting things up so all he has to do is push a button and he'll be injected with drugs that will kill him.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/fy6yz/51_hours_left_to_live/

VampDude
March 6th, 2011, 20:55
I've seen these sites before, Tania Derveaux had a blog a few years back, an anti-suicide campaign in the form of a blog (90 days).

I bet the guy who has the thread on that website is just someone with a lot of time on his hands, seeing how many people get sucked in... Not me though, I'd rather play PS3. :cool:

Kaiser
March 7th, 2011, 01:10
I've always been torn on the whole euthanasia/assisted suicide thing.

In this particular case I find something kind of morbid about posting it online in this manner. Doesn't quite sit right with me.

VampDude
March 7th, 2011, 01:51
In this particular case I find something kind of morbid about posting it online in this manner. Doesn't quite sit right with me.

Attention seeking, it's the only explanation.

Because who seriously would spend their last two and a half days at a computer, when they could be doing other things, with meaning? The funny thing about the internet, is that there are many attention seekers that post articles online, with the reader never actually knowing if the person is actually serious.

98% of the time, it's just a kid with time to waste.

The 2%, I can only say the name, John Titor... I enjoyed reading those posts from around the web, especially the time travel elements.