PDA

View Full Version : Guns to be allowed on Texas campuses

Cmdr Sheppard
March 9th, 2011, 20:45
This is wonderful news! Colleges and universities in Texas are allowing students to carry guns now, if they recieve proper training. It's nice to know the system works from time to time. Now we need this to pass nation-wide. The bad guys already have guns, it's time we let the good guys have them too. Oh and before any liberals who want to ban guns come into this thread, you should know that you are six times more likely to get mugged and 53% more likely to get robbed in London (where guns are banned): http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2656875.stm

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas is preparing to give college students and professors the right to carry guns on campus, adding momentum to a national campaign to open this part of society to firearms.

More than half the members of the Texas House have signed on as co-authors of a measure directing universities to allow concealed handguns. The Senate passed a similar bill in 2009 and is expected to do so again. Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who sometimes packs a pistol when he jogs, has said he's in favor of the idea.

Texas has become a prime battleground for the issue because of its gun culture and its size, with 38 public universities and more than 500,000 students. It would become the second state, following Utah, to pass such a broad-based law. Colorado gives colleges the option and several have allowed handguns.

Supporters of the legislation argue that gun violence on campuses, such as the mass shootings at Virginia Tech in 2007 and Northern Illinois in 2008, show that the best defense against a gunman is students who can shoot back.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-02-20-texas-guns_N.htm

Kaiser
March 10th, 2011, 00:45
I just don't think private citizens should carry guns. Hunting rifles are the exception I believe but even in those cases it should be heavily regulated. No one can make the bold claim that having guns lowers crime rates. Correalation in statistics (which can easily be heavily flawed on there own) does not equal causation. That being said, I don't think outright bans work either but arming the entire citizenry with guns is just as absurd.

This is one policy where I think my country has it right for years. I'm not saying our violent crime rates are lower just because of this, but I think it does play a role.

Fonixx
March 10th, 2011, 01:08
I don't mean to generalise but anyone who actually thinks carrying a gun in everyday life is a good thing is dumb as Hell. It's too provocative an action and simply sends the message that i'm carrying this weapon so i'm always prepared to kill if someone threatens me. Now hunting, sport and defense of your own property are fine but this is right at the dumbest end of American law.