PDA

View Full Version : PS1 controller ports not working

0rpheus
March 11th, 2011, 18:10
Hi!

My friend's PS1 which had been gathering dust on a shelf for a few years has this problem that its controller ports aren't working. I opened it up and cleaned it from dust but that didn't help. The thing is that the little analogue light turns on when I press the analogue button but none of the other buttons work. This problem is with both of the controller ports, I tested it with two different controllers. Also when I leave the lid open and turn it on (where that menu appears where you can access the memory card and music player) the cursor doesn't appear, so this means that it doesn't recognize the controller at all.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I would really appreciate it!

tacocat
March 14th, 2011, 00:59
You may just have to replace the ps1 controller ports but it might be cheaper and easier to buy a used ps2. here a where you can buy a replace port
http://store.richspsxparts.com/pl1copo.html
-Tacocat

Fonixx
March 14th, 2011, 01:31
Yeah i recently bought a used Ps1 with i think a 6 month guarantee from Gamestation.

0rpheus
March 14th, 2011, 11:41
OK, thank you guys for these suggestions, I think replacing the ports is the only solution here. But I had an idea. The one I'd like to get working is a big grey PS1, but what if I take the controller port from a small white PS1? Could it work? I know they are completely different models so is there a possibility it will damage the small PS1's controller port?

tacocat
March 14th, 2011, 12:34
I haven't taken apart many ps1 but i don't think you can.
-Tacocat

VampDude
March 14th, 2011, 17:21
The problem lies with the motherboard... A problem I know only so well with my original PlayStation (the first of many), after having the controller port replaced and finding out that the problem still remained.

The only result, was to purchase another console... Which depending on wherever you are in the world, an original PlayStation is about £10 (UK - check GameStation), $15 (US - check eBay - there is one for $13.99).

mikebeaver
March 24th, 2011, 01:17
If your in the UK, you can HAVE a PS1 (original shape) for the cost of postage mate, I must have at least 10 of them lying about :p

Mike..

VampDude
March 25th, 2011, 17:57
I think the user was just a passer, because in the time of 14 days he could have already purchased a new console.