PDA

View Full Version : Casual gamer gets serious prize

wraggster
September 12th, 2006, 01:26
All the talk about professional gaming has focused largely on who can race the fastest, who can frag the most, and who can fight the best. That may all change now, as a prize of $1 million was given to the gamer who could break the most jewels, play the most cards, and bust the most bubbles over the weekend.

Kavitha Yalavarthi of Odessa, Texas, was crowned World's Best Casual Gamer by Fun Technologies at the first-ever WorldWide Web Games held in Hollywood, California. Three games--Bejeweled 2, Solitaire, and Zuma--were featured in the competition, which took place over 12 hours and featured 71 contestants.

Casual games, called so because of their appeal to the non-gaming crowd, have garnered a lot of attention in recent years because of their revenue potential and low development costs. Many industry experts believe the sector is due for considerable growth domestically over the next five years, with some pegging it as a billion-dollar industry by 2011.

Via Gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6157427.html)

Lucky bast :D

kcajblue
September 12th, 2006, 01:28
OMG. $1 million for playing some games. that guy really is lucky.

Junixx
September 12th, 2006, 03:10
Geez 1 mil wow

JKKDARK
September 12th, 2006, 04:03
1 million = video games, girls, coca-cola, girls :cool:

Shadowblind
September 12th, 2006, 04:08
Who can frag the fastest, eh?....If its FPS, I can do it. If its beat-em-up, I can do it...If its raceing, ___ to that.

PlayingKarrde
September 12th, 2006, 04:57
I'm sure my girlfriend could have beaten this person at Zoo Keeper (ala Bejeweled). I've not seen anyone, online or off, come close to her scores. It's scary (especially since she's not a gamer).

ACID
September 12th, 2006, 20:55
omg wtf this is crazy. Not even real pro gamers get pay that for competing

Bp103
September 14th, 2006, 14:56
omg! I could of did that. those games are so easy!