PDA

View Full Version : Dev.dcemu .co.uk

wraggster
November 2nd, 2004, 06:31
First off theres no decent active dev site around anymore.

So to showcase our v2 site off, i want to use the new design in a new dev site which supports the chatroom on freenode and has the source code to every emulator/homebrew the dreamcast scene has released.

i want every developer/coder to have full newsposting access.

i would like to have a webmaster and deputys to work as a team and use the site as a great and valuable learning tool.

erm more when my brains in gear. :)

thoughts, comments?

Vorrtexx
November 2nd, 2004, 08:04
nice.
So when is v2 of the site being launched? or has it ???

Darksaviour69
November 2nd, 2004, 08:10
nice.
So when is v2 of the site being launched? or has it ???

just like duke nukem forever...when its done ;) (i.e. it has not been launch yet)

wraggster
November 2nd, 2004, 10:07
soon hopefully

i know the layout is ready

but we just need to get the return of LyonHrt :)

LyonHrt
December 8th, 2004, 07:27
Hello!
Well i'm all ready to start dev.dcemu.co.uk up.

This is the post i posted in staff, i'll post it here too, as i'll welcome any contributers from the dev scene, you'd be able to put up your guide or tip (or even a sample of it, and link to your own site, that would be fine too)
Anyway heres the post in staff.

I might be a little behind, so if i mention stuff that has already been discussed, tell me

Right, dev.dcemu.co.uk...

I think it might be in agreement that is newbie friendly, though it would be great to have it cater for more advanced coders too.

Now its a case for ideas and brainstorming, i myself would like it to be tiki based, as i'd like to see contributions.
Somethings which might go down well, are tips, eg how to make the dreamcast do something, or the best optimised way for something.

I'd also think if coders could be interviewed on "how they created something"
eg, we could interview metafox on how laserdc came about, from its humble beginings to its current version.

This would also include the bog standard guides, that you'd expect, and tools for downloading.

So guy's any other ideas, or you could discuss ideas i've already mentioned.

Ender
December 9th, 2004, 00:55
Where will the line be drawn between the dcemu.co.uk and the dev page? Would the dev page be like Gamasutra with source examples?

souLLy
December 9th, 2004, 20:18
right now no idea, let us know what you want... tutorials, source files... i mean its pointless us doing this without knowing what coders want because its a waste of time then really... if any coders want to come on board with this and really help out it would be fantastic. If we're gonna do it we're gonna do it properly rather than half assed (one of the reasons why version 2 is taking a while)

LyonHrt
December 10th, 2004, 05:49
Yeah, its on its third rewrite i think! Final one though.

Ender
December 10th, 2004, 16:47
Well, as nice as source is, tutorials are always helpful too, and can save people a lot of time. Even articles can be useful to get people thinking about what they're doing instead of how.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Gamasutra with source, but have the source well documented (outside of the download) so that one can get some context from it. As for tutorials, I don't know. Most of the experienced coders would have no problems with the KOS examples, but for the Noobs, it might be nice to go through some of the more basic ones (like the png example) in a tutorial. After all, if you can understand C at all, and get the png example to work, there's no reason why you couldn't get some sort of game running.

LyonHrt
December 10th, 2004, 18:19
Thanks for your input ender, its noted.