PDA

View Full Version : where do you buy resisters?

deanspeed
September 12th, 2006, 04:31
where do you buy resisters? i went to radio shack and they said that they don't sell things like that anymore. i also went to circuit city because that's were radio shack told me to go and they don't sell them either.

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 04:44
I bought mine at radioshack.. but that was ~2 months ago... I heard they were going out of business....
Try a different radioshack, perhaps they could order it for you...
You can buy in online, for sure...

BL4Z3D247
September 12th, 2006, 04:50
don't know where u live but i've seen them in walmart with the fuses, i think that is where they were

deanspeed
September 12th, 2006, 05:02
hmm walmart... didn't even think of that. ill go ahead and look online though since i have a week before my GPS gets here. can any one suggest a site?

BL4Z3D247
September 12th, 2006, 05:08
sears hardware should have em too

deanspeed
September 12th, 2006, 06:53
ok ill just call them and see if they have them, thanks.

fokia
September 12th, 2006, 09:26
If you can't find it maybe you can get any, somewhat old, defective (like a radio) device and look for resistors inside... if you have access to such device I can post here the colors code for resistors

in7ane
September 12th, 2006, 14:11
ebay, just like everything else :)

deanspeed
September 12th, 2006, 14:44
actually i just might have a few things that i could scavenge from. whats the color code for resistors?

i don't want to buy them online because i don't want to wait for it, since my GPS will be here in 3 days.

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 14:52
google the color codes, but better yet measure the resistance with multimeter if you have one...
if you use holux, you may even try (at your own risk) to hook it up w/o the resistor.. some people reported that it works fine for them... then again, there is a small chance that you brick your PSP...

fokia
September 12th, 2006, 14:53
actually i just might have a few things that i could scavenge from. whats the color code for resistors?

i don't want to buy them online because i don't want to wait for it, since my GPS will be here in 3 days.

For 1K (1000 ohm) you have BROWN/BLACK/RED then precision stripe usually is golden (5%)
I'll leave here a small app - it in Portuguese though - but I think you can use it anyway, it calculates the resistor based on stripes colors

deanspeed
September 12th, 2006, 15:34
thats cool, it says that the first one i tryed is 20 ohm, what does that mean? to little? i need to find 1000 ohm right?

deanspeed
September 12th, 2006, 15:45
does it matter if the precision stripe is %10?

fokia
September 12th, 2006, 16:20
thats cool, it says that the first one i tryed is 20 ohm, what does that mean? to little? i need to find 1000 ohm right?

You need 1kohm(usually): try from left to right brown/black/red... you should get 1000 ohm = 1Kohm.

well, the precision gives you the range for that resistor, so 1kohm +- 10% means: 900ohm<Resistor<1100ohm. you should make some calcs to see if its good for you...

I would go for something lower - like 5% (GOLDEN STRIPE)...

deanspeed
September 12th, 2006, 21:38
i found a store that has them. but should i buy 1k, 2k, 3k, and 5k, ohm resistors and then go from 5k to 1k till i get the one that works best? or should i just go ahead and get a 1k? or would that be taking a risk? cause i don't want to take any risk's.

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 23:01
You'll probably be better of with 2K 1K and ~.05K.. amd test them starting with 2K, of course...
I am asumming you have holux gpslim236...

deanspeed
September 13th, 2006, 00:45
yes i have the holux gpslim236. also i just got back from radio shack(found one that has them) and they only have 1k, any thing higher is somthing like 2.4k, 4.7k and so on. so my question is should i just go with whats closest to what your saying i should try?

also your saying i should probably start with 2k but here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30035 your are saying to start with 5k? why has it changed?

deniska
September 13th, 2006, 05:30
well, 1K seems to work for most of the people...
doubling it should not brick your PSP...so, in my opinion 2K is pretty safe...

deanspeed
September 13th, 2006, 13:59
cool, cause i wasn't looking forward to buying 5 different resistors since they come in 5 pack and that would leave me with 20 resistors leftover.

also the store that i found that has them didn't have any 2k resistors, but they did have a 2.4k i think. would that work?

deniska
September 13th, 2006, 18:00
btw, you connect 2 or more resistors in series or in parallel to get required values.
For example connecting two 1K resistors in series will give you 2K. If you connect them in parallel you'll end up with 0.5K... you can google out the formula for parrallel connections... ;-)

deanspeed
September 13th, 2006, 19:48
oh cool, that's nice to know. so kind of like how a battery works to increase its power.

F9zDark
September 21st, 2006, 19:07
You wouldn't need a parallel connection for this though, since your wouldn't need to split the source of power into two, 'independent' lines.

kimberleykid
August 26th, 2007, 15:43
where do you buy resisters? i went to radio shack and they said that they don't sell things like that anymore. i also went to circuit city because that's were radio shack told me to go and they don't sell them either.
Hi there,
I am brand new on this site. I sell resistors on my website, just add www to proteacommunications.co.uk to find my site or do a search for Protea Electronics

kimberleykid
August 26th, 2007, 16:41
buy from www.proteacommunications.co.uk, best prices and quick delivery