PDA

View Full Version : I need help shopping for a laptop

Kaiser
April 8th, 2011, 06:41
Hello DCEmu!

After years of avoiding them I've finally reached a point where acquiring a laptop is a must for school and work. The problem is, I really don't know where to start and most laptops I find lack that certain something that screams "buy me." Now this might be the techy, high-end desktop enthusiast in me speaking, but all the laptops I've come across really don't appeal to me.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Notes

- I'd like something with an SSD
- No Atom processors.
- No huge screens, I want something portable.

Shrygue
April 8th, 2011, 23:06
Well one thing I'll say is avoid Dell laptops, the battery chargers are duff and most of them will later fail to change the battery, let alone power the machine plugged in. It's a well reported problem, check with Google and you'll see.

VampDude
April 9th, 2011, 00:52
Portable + No huge screen + SSD = Tablet PC

I would recommend looking for a tablet PC that doubles as a laptop, one of those cool devices with the screen that can be turned the opposite direction to the keyboard to be used as a touch screen device.

jaws365
April 9th, 2011, 11:41
I would recommend a Macbook Air, they are light and powerful, plus you can boot into OS X and Windows with it. They come in 11" and 13".

nomi
April 9th, 2011, 17:16
I would highly recommend one of Asus UL seriess. I myself use the Ul30vt-a1 but the no ul30jc and later are brilliant. They boast good specs with the new core processors with 4 gigs. The battery will last anywhere from 7 - 9 hours.. I would highly recommend it..

Kaiser
April 20th, 2011, 00:13
I appreciate all the recommendations you fine gentlemen have provided but I've come to the conclusion a decent netbook is probably better suited to my needs (and pocketbook). I'll largely be just working on MS Word and browsing a bit on it and have no need for a disc drive or powerful hardware. So to specify my request, can anyone recommend a good netbook? Battery life, keyboard and reliability are the key components here. An SSD would still be nice.

Darksaviour69
April 21st, 2011, 23:03
I 2nd dells suck.

I get pc/ labtops from these guys all the time and there notebook is good for the price, but they are UK, so not much help to ya ;)
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/laptop/range/x10.html

Fonixx
April 22nd, 2011, 00:10
All i can say is get 1 with a dual core atom processor because they are better on power and won't grind to a halt on the rare occasion you want to do more than just word processing.