PDA

View Full Version : sdl port suggestions

wraggster
October 10th, 2004, 12:48
Dont laugh too much but im gonna have a stab at porting something really basic over to the Dreamcast, anyone suggest something with a link to source etc?

quzar
October 10th, 2004, 18:45
Why not try simply compiling some pre-ported stuff first? (if you havnt already).

I suggest something like: SDL Fighter, Dodgin Diamond, or Shippy1984(im releasing it soon ;) )

These three i know are relatively easy to get compiling, but then in gets a tad harder when you try to gain speed, fix up the controls, etc.

For me, unless it is a huge thing, the way I started out was to simply remove any code that didnt compile completely (comment it out) then worry about it later. I found that this way you can SEE what you are dealing with which to me at least is helpful. If you have an instant messaging service, I have a few libs that would be very helpful, including scanf, vprintf, SDL_gfx, and a hacked smaller SDL.

MetaFox
October 10th, 2004, 21:12
I wrote a newbie's guide to SDL porting for him using a simple pong clone, and now he's got the coding bug. ;)

Ian_micheal
October 10th, 2004, 23:14
Why not try simply compiling some pre-ported stuff first? (if you havnt already).

I suggest something like: SDL Fighter, Dodgin Diamond, or Shippy1984(im releasing it soon ;) )

These three i know are relatively easy to get compiling, but then in gets a tad harder when you try to gain speed, fix up the controls, etc.

For me, unless it is a huge thing, the way I started out was to simply remove any code that didnt compile completely (comment it out) then worry about it later. I found that this way you can SEE what you are dealing with which to me at least is helpful. If you have an instant messaging service, I have a few libs that would be very helpful, including scanf, vprintf, SDL_gfx, and a hacked smaller SDL.

Scanf SDL_gfx i gave you btw. Any thing on the sdl site is easy matter of using one of my make files changes some paths and typing make. No harder then making a post like this.

DCDayDreamer
October 11th, 2004, 01:19
Dont laugh too much but im gonna have a stab at porting something really basic over to the Dreamcast, anyone suggest something with a link to source etc?

Well Wraggs, you know I'll be first in the queue to take the 'P' ;D, but on this occasion, I'll give you a break :-*.
That's a great idea though well done for giving it a go!

To show my support to a friend and fellow non-coder, I'm tempted to try the same myself...
Total coding newb question: What the hell do I need to get started?

OneThirty8
October 11th, 2004, 09:16
Scanf SDL_gfx i gave you btw. Any thing on the sdl site is easy matter of using one of my make files changes some paths and typing make. No harder then making a post like this.

Perhaps it's easy for you, but for somebody who has never coded before, or even for somebody who is new to DC development, it's a matter of knowing what to change, how to change it, etc. If you don't know these things, it's not as simple as 'change some paths and type make.' I don't find posts like that helpful at all. At least quzar was offering to send him some libs to make things easier. Where he got the libs wasn't the point. He was offering to spread the wealth, which is what I thought we were all trying to do.

DCDayDreamer
October 11th, 2004, 11:46
Is this thing a good starting point for a complete idiot?

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/devcconfig.shtml

wraggster
October 11th, 2004, 12:15
metafox is making a newbie guide which will help

Hawq
October 11th, 2004, 12:24
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/devcconfig.shtml
That just fer sdl stuff or any stuff? asks the guy who had many odd errors tryin to make mame work for the dc a while back

DCDayDreamer
October 11th, 2004, 12:27
:)Nice!

Can he do a seperate guide for me?, somewhere between 'newbie' and 'what the hell do I do now?' ;D

JMD
October 29th, 2004, 11:41
here is a nice SDL port to do : Maze of Galious (http://www.braingames.getput.com/mog/default.asp)