PDA

View Full Version : Babel Fish DS (Very Early)

wraggster
September 12th, 2006, 21:18
JerryM posted this:

Hello folks.

I am posting about my first NDS project. As the subject shows, it is a Babel Fish translator for Ninteno DS ;).

The idea of the program is to allow you to translate text wherever you have WiFi access. I've been working on it for about 2-3 days now (at the time of posting). Today I updated the graphics, but you can see they are not all updated yet.

Notice: You cannot actually translate anything yet! I am still working hard. I have a deadline for friday to have everything up and running for everyones enjoyment. I will keep everyone updated :).

Incase anyone wants to try it out (no point really, there is no functionality yet), you can find a EMULATOR build below. By EMULATOR build, I mean that the Wifi code has been removed so that it will not crash emulators, but it will still run on hardware.

I have only tested it with a DS Phat (firmware v2.0), using GBAMPv2 and a Datel Max Media Launcher (NoPass) through MoonShell. If you want to, try to run it on your hardware and tell me how it works :-).

Known Bugs:
- When switching menu's, the screen "flickers" : This is not really a bug as it is my own stupidity. I know what causes it, and how to fix it, but it will be too much trouble to fix it as of now.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THERE IS NEARLY NO FUNCTIONALITY AT ALL. IT DOES NOT YET ACTUALLY TRANSLATE!

Here you can find an EMULATOR build download:
http://rapidshare.de/files/32808235/BabelFish_DS.nds.html

cloud_952
September 13th, 2006, 00:17
So, if I understand correctly, this will let us connect to babelfish online through the ds? O_o Sounds pretty cool.. though there are some concerns. What languages can we type in? For instance, I study Japanese, and to translate something from Japanese to English, I need to have it written in hiragana, katakana, or kanji. If we're stuck to the 26-letter alphabet, then that severely limits what languages can be translated.

Sounds like a cool idea, if it works, but may be limited in the languages it can functionally translate.

Not like it matters too much. O_o Babelfish sucks at translating Japanese. I can do better with one eye closed, with no sleep and a monkey stabbing me in the back with a dirty comb.

kcajblue
September 13th, 2006, 00:32
so this will be a translator when it has some functionality?

cloud_952
September 13th, 2006, 05:07
o_o I certainly hope so. Otherwise.. dunno what it'd do.

Adrenalin
September 13th, 2006, 09:06
yeah it is an online translator.

ffsky
September 13th, 2006, 11:09
sc can work too,just use the MoonShell