PDA

View Full Version : 3DS' two main problems now resolved - Nintendo

wraggster
June 20th, 2011, 22:14
The 3DS is a fantastic machine, but it's not been selling the way Nintendo would have hoped. This, says Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime, is down to two main issues - problems which he says have now been addressed.

"When we launched, we had a fantastic day one and a very strong week one," he told Kotaku, adding, "But when we started talking to consumers who were aware or interested, but hadn't yet bought, they told us two things: first, I need a big Nintendo franchise for our purchase. The second thing was I need the network to be up. I need the connected experiences to be there."

The lack of a big Nintendo blockbuster was likely the biggest issue. Capcom's Super Street Fighter IV 3D was the most critically acclaimed of the launch titles and N64 fans reveled in the return of Pilotwings, but there wasn't a Nintendo blockbuster to top it all off.

As for connectivity, while Nintendo had promised a 3DS firmware update to add a web browser and the eShop weeks after launch, that update would later be delayed into June leaving a the hardware essentially feature-incomplete.

"So now we jump to where we are," said Fils-Aime, who points out this week's release of the fantastic Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. "We're going to follow with a steady drumbeat ofStar Fox and Kid Icarus and two Mariotitles and the Luigi title," he added.

As for connectivity, Fils-Aime said: "We've just done the first network update. We've got the eShop up and running. We've got the 3D movie service still on track for the summer. We've got Netflix still on track for the summer. So I think we're well underway to having that addressed as well."

He went on: "My expectation is that with the adjustments we've made, we're going to be back with strong momentum on the 3DS."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308293/news/3ds-two-main-problems-now-resolved-nintendo/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS