PDA

View Full Version : XGP Kids - New Homebrew Contender ?

wraggster
September 14th, 2006, 01:15
Firstly heres a screenshot:

http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/kids_002.jpg

Now the official website is a bit vague but from what can be made out this is a new version of the excellent GP32 Console (http://gp32emu.dcemu.co.uk/) which has probably one of the best Emulation and Homebrew scenes going and hundreds of releases. Its coming in October now (was september but hardware probs have moved the date.)

Will this threaten the DS and PSP and GP2X Homebrew Domination ?, we will have to see :)

More Info Here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35350)

pkmaximum
September 14th, 2006, 02:24
What are the specs on this consul supposed to be? Not much info there, just some pics, and how its saying its going to compete with the PSP and stuff =P

ACID
September 14th, 2006, 02:28
Check the link its less then the GPX2

JKKDARK
September 14th, 2006, 02:34
mm I can buy it..

ACID
September 14th, 2006, 02:35
might as well just buy the GP2X

PlagueMusic
September 14th, 2006, 02:36
This Is Amazing!

Veskgar
September 14th, 2006, 02:43
This is not even a contender to the PSP if you ask me.

pkmaximum
September 14th, 2006, 02:58
How is this supposed to go up, against the GP2X even with those specs.

PlagueMusic
September 14th, 2006, 03:14
nvm, like the best this can do is like nes emulation..

Video_freak
September 14th, 2006, 03:24
might as well just buy the GP2X
Yeah, this thing doesn't even COMPARE to it.

pkmaximum
September 14th, 2006, 03:28
I doubt any coders are even going to want to code for this thing XD.

emuking
September 14th, 2006, 04:37
have you guys seen the real xgp, its more powerful than the gp2x and psp, it has wifi and 2d/3d accelerator so n64 emu is possible on xgp as well as psone em :D

pkmaximum
September 14th, 2006, 05:14
Ya the XGP is definently something that is going to be worth investing in. Question.... when is the release date (estimate of course) for the XGP.

killurparents
September 14th, 2006, 05:42
Nope. The D-pad is crap.

Broadus
September 14th, 2006, 08:13
So this thing is more powerful than the PSP or something?
It seems to have even less buttons.

tophead420
September 14th, 2006, 10:15
well idk i dont think this will hurt psp homebrew at all seeing that the psp also can do way more then homebrew so its no even close to a contender lol

modroneman
September 14th, 2006, 11:56
I have never heard of any of these and I'm willing to bet a lot of other people are the same way. Will it change PSP homebrew.... I doubt it.

b8a
September 14th, 2006, 12:51
I'm not going to rag on anyone who wants to get excited over these Korean handhelds (really, to each their own), but until any of them get any sort of decent commercial game base established, they'll never be competition for Nintendo/Sony, and even then it would be an uphill battle.

Even as far as homebrew is concerned, these'll likely be no more successful then the Korean handhelds before them. Chances are that the only people who are going to care about these are the same people who cared about the previous generations as well. I just don't see that fan base growing.

mesosade
September 14th, 2006, 15:58
well it does have the thumbstick the psp is lacking (burnout crashes aplenty) i neva did like the weird thumbpad thing on psp...at first i thought it was a speaker!

Rocksil
September 14th, 2006, 18:09
This is not even a contender to the PSP if you ask me.
Exactly:mad:

kpaul_nyc
September 15th, 2006, 01:16
well it does have the thumbstick the psp is lacking (burnout crashes aplenty) i neva did like the weird thumbpad thing on psp...at first i thought it was a speaker!haha I thought it was the speaker also and i was wondering why it moved...

Broadus
September 15th, 2006, 05:42
Yeah, I wander what the logic was on making it flat and textured just like a speaker.

Exophase
September 16th, 2006, 09:37
Although very cheap this platform has a serious weak point that makes it significantly worse than the original GP32: the resolution. GBA has shown us that we can still get okay emulation with downscaled graphics but it's definitely a disadvantage, plus this won't have any way of efficiently filtering with the scaling. The aspect ratio is also weird, they claim 4:3 but it's actually longer than that. For GB/GBC/GG this should be okay. Most home consoles people are interested in emulating require 256x224 or greater to get correct graphics...

The thing with GB/GBC emulation (which is what this would be best at, like I mentioned) is that a GBA can do that for cheaper. Still, may be good as a cheap media device, although the resolution hurts it for movie playback too...