PDA

View Full Version : Half Life on DC

ptr.exe
February 28th, 2005, 16:00
Ive seen loads of copies of Half Life on DC floating around eBay and the seller said the game was cancelled days before release, just wondering why was it cancelled?

Darksaviour69
February 28th, 2005, 16:21
"cancelled days before release" thats just a myth, know one knows if the leaked version was a Gold version, and if it was, thats sad, because it has lots of problems, but playable.

btw WARNING no linking to the leaked version or to anywhere selling it!

ptr.exe
February 28th, 2005, 17:46
sorry what do you mean by "gold". I thought the seller was making it up to not get done by eBay for copies by calling it freeware even though its a commerical game.

Thanks.

Darksaviour69
February 28th, 2005, 17:56
oh, its not freeware, selling it is very illegal...

sorry what do you mean by "gold"
when a game goes Gold, that means that its finish and its ready to be pressed.

and ebay seem not to give a crap if illegal stuff is sold on it, only when the big boys complain do they care

FrierTuck
March 5th, 2005, 20:01
i was sold a copy by one of my friends, i dont know where he got it, but he said he paid alot for it

M@jk
March 5th, 2005, 22:01
Well what can i say... HL copy on DC also floating on unlegal torrents, ftp servers etc. if you search for the image you can get it for free :) but i dont know nothing, about it officialy :) ;D

Eric
March 6th, 2005, 03:22
if you like Half Life may i recommend the old PC version. As the DC load times suck for the game. the game itself is often glitchy but the funny thing i heard as i often visit www.onlineconsoles.com is Half Life DC was supposed to be online but they took it out but somewhere lurking in that source is the online compatibilities.

Eric

MetaFox
March 7th, 2005, 08:26
"cancelled days before release" thats just a myth, know one knows if the leaked version was a Gold version, and if it was, thats sad, because it has lots of problems, but playable.Check out the PS2 version sometime. It plays just about the same as the DC version, and it was actually officially released.

There may be some truth to that myth after all. :P

(actually the build that was leaked isn't the latest build. There's at least one newer build that is known to be out there).

Mental2k
March 7th, 2005, 17:46
Meta stop bloody encouraging warez, in an official capacity. ;D ;)

MetaFox
March 9th, 2005, 14:27
Meta stop bloody encouraging warez, in an official capacity. ;D ;)What with my comment to try out the PS2 version?

Yeah, I'm sorry for that. No one should be subjected to that tripe. ;)

Mental2k
March 9th, 2005, 16:26
(actually the build that was leaked isn't the latest build. There's at least one newer build that is known to be out there).

No that part.

Fair point on the ps2 version I have played it, its bollocks, but a pc, u dont even need a good one to run it better than the ps2 version, and if u get blue shift then u get nicer graphics.

MetaFox
March 9th, 2005, 16:54
No that part.

Fair point on the ps2 version I have played it, its bollocks, but a pc, u dont even need a good one to run it better than the ps2 version, and if u get blue shift then u get nicer graphics.That's not warez. I didn't mean that there is another one that is leaked. I meant that there is another GD-R that people have bought that confirms that the leaked one isn't a final. :P

Darksaviour69
March 9th, 2005, 17:23
That's not warez. I didn't mean that there is another one that is leaked. I meant that there is another GD-R that people have bought that confirms that the leaked one isn't a final. :P

but it illegal to sell thoses GD-R too, who ever sold them does not have the right to sell them... having said that i think no-one cares
:-/

Mental2k
March 10th, 2005, 13:01
That's not warez. I didn't mean that there is another one that is leaked. I meant that there is another GD-R that people have bought that confirms that the leaked one isn't a final. :P
Look i know i sounded foolish after the first one, but I'm not one to back down. So ner. ;D

I love ya really meta.

MetaFox
March 10th, 2005, 13:20
but it illegal to sell thoses GD-R too, who ever sold them does not have the right to sell them... having said that i think no-one cares :-/Prototype collecting has been a hobby since the 80s.

If it was a problem, it would have been cracked down on hard decades ago.

This is more of a case of no jursidiction rather than illegality. It's never been tried in court, as the companies as you said don't care about it.

I could argue back and forth about the legalities of this for days, but suffice to say - there's no law specifically against it.

Darksaviour69
March 10th, 2005, 13:50
but surely only the person/company who owns the Intellectual property can sell it are not one employee or beta tester. now i not saying its wrong to own one, but whoever sold it was in the wrong was. it like the beta tester that leak bleemcast beta, he was in the wrong to do so because he did not right not to leak it, it was not his to release.

but as you say its never been a issue i.e. in court etc

MetaFox
March 10th, 2005, 14:06
but surely only the person/company who owns the Intellectual property can sell it are not one employee or beta tester.It's like a prerelease copy sent to a magazine. That copy isn't the official product, and it's not treated that way. At that point in time, the owner of the pre-release can do what he wants with it, unless an agreement has been made that requires him to send it back after review. If he doesn't have an agreement and the disc is sent to him with no strings attatched, he can sell it if he wants to. If he has an agreement, and breaks it by selling it instead of sending it back, then that's a different story.

Same with the prototypes. If the programmer/artist/musician/beta tester/etc. didn't sign an agreement that all pre-release material will be destroyed after completion of the game (or that preview material can't change hands - which I believe was the case in the Bleem beta), then he's entitled to do what he wants with his copy.

Pavlik
March 10th, 2005, 16:25
... isn't a final. :P

It is a final ver. I know it because I beat it (both scenarios) and u can decrease loading times with dummy file. Thats all. Game is really great.

Darksaviour69
March 10th, 2005, 16:28
just because u can complete it does not mean its the final version,

Eric
March 10th, 2005, 16:58
Yeah but if its like the PC version and he played the PC version maybe he is saying its completed

Mental2k
March 10th, 2005, 20:31
The game may be finished in the sense it had all the levels, but not in the sense that the game is not bugless, or of a fit standard to release.

Martin
March 11th, 2005, 02:17
Test test test