PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Sony boss: Hackers will be back

wraggster
July 11th, 2011, 18:22
The former boss of Sony Europe has predicted that the hacking community may not be finished targeting PSN just yet.

Sony claimed at E3 last month that 90 per cent of PSN's user base had returned to the service following April's attack, which exposed the personal details of over 70 million gamers.

Reeves, now-COO of Capcom, admits that his current employer did "suffer" due to the PSN attack - but also believes that its aftermath has shone a light on the success of pre-pay cards.

"Yeah, we lost out, particularly in Europe and North America by not being able to put [our games] up onto the PSN... Capcom did suffer for a month, and we were not alone." he told ME Gamers.

He added: "We have seen in the last week...the last 10 days, quite a bit of resurgence in [PSN users], which is pleasant. We have seen on PSN, and probably Sony are in a better place to tell you this, that there is a resurgence in people buying the generic PSN cards in retail stores rather than putting up their credit card details... I think in the future they will make more non-generic cards, like game branded ones, such as Street Fighter or FIFA, or even Modern Warfare. But the generic ones have done well.

"People are playing it a bit safe at the moment because the hackers will be back [laughs]. That's my personal opinion. I mean...they will right? They are going to say: 'So you think you are secure?'"

Sony finally restored its full PSN service, including the PS Store, in Japan last week. The service had remained down in the territory for over two months.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/311075/news/ex-sony-boss-hackers-will-be-back/