PDA

View Full Version : Need to translate your program??

jacksolidsnake
September 14th, 2006, 21:56
If there are any programers here for the psp that want to translate their program to pretty much any language then give me your text file and i will translate it for you. I want to do my part in helping the psp community so if you need translate your program im your guy:)

bronxbomber92
September 15th, 2006, 00:18
You mean port it to another language?

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 00:24
What languages?

cloud_952
September 15th, 2006, 01:00
"Pretty much any language".. Umm.. it sounds to me like someone doesn't understand how translation works. o_o

To translate something, you need a good understanding of both your language and the language you're translating from/into. You can't translate from one language to another with just a dictionary because that doesn't do anything for proper grammar, sentence structure, or even changes words undergo. Using BabelFish or another online translator with just give you a whole bunch of weird phrases. Sure, maybe you can understand it.. but that doesn't make it gramattically correct, and sometimes it's very, very wrong.

To translate a 30 page Japanese doujin takes me several days and two different dictionaries. I've been studying Japanese for 3~ years, have lived there for a short period of time, and seem to be constantly studying. Not bragging, but the point is that it takes alot of work to translate things. I still have a hard time doing it, and alot of things simply don't make sense, much less when you're trying to translate it into "natural" English (or natural Japanese).

So.. yeah. Translation am teh suck. ^_- That's why it's the profession I'm going into. I want to be one of those arrogant, horrible people who subtitle anime in the worst way possible.

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 01:01
"Pretty much any language".. Umm.. it sounds to me like someone doesn't understand how translation works. o_o
I missed that right there. :o
I want to know the exact languages, that's all...

cloud668
September 15th, 2006, 01:14
i think he mean porting a program into psp, just a guess

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 01:15
Yeah, maybe.

bronxbomber92
September 15th, 2006, 02:05
OMFG LMAO, He doesn't mean a language as in english or spanish :p
He means coding, lol...

cloud_952
September 15th, 2006, 02:11
o_O "Translate" isn't usually used in reference to coding. Generally, it's for (spoken or written) languages. Judging by how it's written, I sincerely don't think we're talking about code here. Especially because if the originally poster can code THAT well to code from one (programming) language to another, why is he not coding himself?

I should also note that (programming) languages cannot be easily moved from one to another. Generally one can do something that another cannot, or at least does it much easier than another language could (what takes a simple function in one language could take many lines in another).

Soo.. yeah. It seems we're talking about written/spoken languages here, and translating those is best left to people who are competent speakers in both the source and translated language.

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 03:15
I know it's OT but I speak both American and French perfectly (and I have good accents for both). :D

cloud_952
September 15th, 2006, 03:39
=p "English and French".. American is not a language.

But other than that.. that's pretty impressive. Especially to speak them both fluently. As I've mentioned, I'm studying Japanese and can speak/read it fairly decently now, and I can speak English. o_O I'm aiming for a third language after I'm done studying Japanese. Always did want to be trilingual.

psiko_scweek
September 15th, 2006, 04:25
you know i beg to differ! there is quite a difference between english and american!

im american and I find it difficult to understand a person from britain, and i can guarentee they would have the same difficulty talking to someone from deep south Alabama!

cloud_952
September 15th, 2006, 04:30
And Americans sometimes have a harder time understanding eachother. But you're confusing accent and vocabulary differences with different languages. If anything, "American" and "British" english would be a dialect difference.

English is English. It's spoken slightly differently depending on the region. But, at the end of the day, the same rules still apply and the words are usually the same. Therefore, it's the same language. ^_^;

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 05:51
I just said American for the small grammatical changes and slang differences. Also, the accents are different. I don't have a heavy accent though (California :))

ACID
September 15th, 2006, 06:11
cowobonga dude

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 06:20
:)

b8a
September 15th, 2006, 11:47
OMFG LMAO, He doesn't mean a language as in english or spanish :p
He means coding, lol...You really think so? I think that if he were a coder (or in any way involved in coding) he would know enough to use the term "port". I really think that he's actually talking about translating the text portions, but as others have pointed out, unless he's got a team or is paying professionals, it sounds like an unrealistically lofty claim to me.

But then again, he could very well be proficient in multiple languages... I dated a girl when I was 16 who spoke English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Italian, and Maori, and if she could do that at 16 then in another ten years Chinese, Korean, and Russian (at the very least) would've been little problem. That right there is a good chunk of the world's major languages, so it is possible that he is capable and feels safe in making the claim, confident that he could cover any desired languages.

Note that I said "possible". I'm still a little weary of what he's trying to say though.

jak66
September 15th, 2006, 14:40
seeing as he asked for a text file rather than the source code, i would guess he means translating languages

cloud_952
September 15th, 2006, 17:15
I think so too. Alas, we still haven't heard from the poster/author of this topic yet. I'm mostly curious as to how they intended to translate from one language to another. ^_^; Certainly, they can't be fluent in that many languages..

Cap'n 1time
September 15th, 2006, 19:12
At first glance I got the impression that he was refering to translating from Spanish to English and what not. In either case, I doubt this fellow can help you much.

cloud_952
September 18th, 2006, 01:20
Hmm.. darn, I wanted to know what the original poster meant about all this. >_> Looks like we scared him off.

lmtlmt
September 25th, 2006, 08:44
jacksolidsnake can u port my lua game to c++?

dejkirkby
September 25th, 2006, 08:51
lmtlmt he has less than ten posts, so he can't use pm yet!

lmtlmt
September 25th, 2006, 10:56
oh ok