PDA

View Full Version : iPod Games Homebrew Practically Impossible

wraggster
September 14th, 2006, 22:23
Apple's recent annoucement of iPod games has visions of Doom and sugarplums dancing in our heads. I mean, we know you can already technically do Doom on the iPod. But we're looking for a solution that doesn't require us to install some godawful Linux OS.

Unfortunately, it looks like the iPod's game SDK is extremely closed... homebrew at this point looks like a virtual impossibility on a stock iPod:

Modifying the games is difficult at best, if not impossible, because of the checksumming of every file in the bundle, and then the certificate against the manifest.
Game resource files, particularly audio, aren't obfuscated and can be extracted successfully.

Homebrew is probably an impossibility at this point because of the expectation of a signed cert from Apple.

The fact that there are platform identifiers in the plists makes me wonder what Apple's future plans entail. Maybe this would just be for later iPod revisions, or maybe they're just looking forward. Still, quite interesting.

Cathode Tan, where we snagged this from, points out how absurd it is that while Microsoft releases an SDK for the 360 and Sony updates their PSP firmware, Apple won't even acknowledge the homebrew community one way or another. Then again, Apple has never made any attempt to capture gamers — that's why every Apple Intel Mac owner has Boot Camp installed.

JKKDARK
September 14th, 2006, 23:17
bad news :(

kcajblue
September 15th, 2006, 03:07
not good at all. :(

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 03:09
I don't mind iPod Linux...

BrooksyX
September 15th, 2006, 03:52
These games dont work for Ipod Nano, right?:(

pibs
September 15th, 2006, 04:00
I bricked my friends 60gig video cuz of linux, but he was cool about it cuz we where just messing with it and he had warranty. LoL i know im a idiot ;D

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 06:02
Nice friend pibster. i would have been pretty POed...

ACID
September 15th, 2006, 06:12
ipod and games really dont match

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 06:24
Your right, PSP (to me) is much better. :)

ACID
September 15th, 2006, 06:28
Why would you want to play homebrew in an ipod. Will go blind

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 06:30
Why would you want to play homebrew in an ipod. Will go blind
True.... :P

BrooksyX
September 15th, 2006, 06:47
I just mad because I noticed that they have tetris and pac-man, those 2 games would work almost perfectly on the Ipod and that is about it. It just makes me mad that they arnt supporting the nano!

Yeah but if you want homebrew just install ipod linux, it isnt that bad.

ACID
September 15th, 2006, 06:49
Nano is great mp3 but thats where it chould end.

kcajblue
September 16th, 2006, 08:32
the nano is too small to be playing games on.
youd have to be straining your eyes to see whats going on in the game.

cartmandude14
September 17th, 2006, 02:12
I bricked my friends 60gig video cuz of linux, but he was cool about it cuz we where just messing with it and he had warranty. LoL i know im a idiot ;D

i bricked an ipod on accident and since it boots from the hd we just hit restore on my pc when we plugged it in.