PDA

View Full Version : Wii not supporting DVD playback

wraggster
September 14th, 2006, 22:33
While the official Wii press release today made no mention of DVD, Nintendo VP of marketing has confirmed to IGN that Wii will not include DVD playback. From the article: "Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players."

You mean to tell me I finally have to buckle down and buy a DVD player?

JKKDARK
September 14th, 2006, 23:15
Damn nintendo :mad:

bsg
September 14th, 2006, 23:50
For $250 I expect DVD playback right out the box.

JKKDARK
September 14th, 2006, 23:52
Now, I know why the Wii will lose :(

samidgley
September 15th, 2006, 00:01
Nah, I don't care about being able to play DVDs on my console. Noone expected the Snes or even the Psone to play VHS did they? It's a games console, and that's the most important bit really. Plus it's true to say that nearly everyone already has a DVD player now, even if it's their PC or PS2.

Man
September 15th, 2006, 00:35
Wow, if you dont have a dvd player, and are interested in buying a Wii, then i think that you need to buy somthing else. The wii might be a little over your head, try VHS

Hevyduty
September 15th, 2006, 00:36
I hated just about everything I heard at the Wii press conference today, but the lack of DVD playback doesn't bother me in the slightest. Do people really use their multi-hundred dollar game systems to watch movies? I'd rather put the wear and tear on my el cheap-o DVD player.

Of course, if Nintendo added XBMC-style streaming capablity to the Wii, no one would complain about the lack of DVD support. The Wii would instantly be cutting edge in this area. Streaming video probably has more future than any disc-based media, including HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 00:36
Now, I know why the Wii will lose :(
It won't lose for that. It is rather diappointing though. :(

fg-54
September 15th, 2006, 01:08
i would realy expect nintendo to make a dvd playback, specialy scince all of the other systems have it, but i would rather pay $250 then $300 for the seame thing but with dvd playback.

fg-54
September 15th, 2006, 01:12
now all the kids at my school are gonna keep saying " but that gay penis named thing can't even play a fu*king dvd, and it has a gay controler too, why do they have to be diferent? how dare they be different! i mean, isin't sony's original way of life good enough for nintendo? how dare they make sony feel inferior!!!" and stuff like that.

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 01:13
What's up with a double post with the same crap on it? :P

Man
September 15th, 2006, 01:24
What's up with a double post with the same crap on it? :P

Aparently some poeple dont know how to edit there posts, all though the two posts were seperate thoughts, even still.:rolleyes:

jwilds73
September 15th, 2006, 04:38
Sheesh are they stupid? The whole reason I held out and never bought a DVD player back in the day was that I knew the PS2 would support dvd playback right out of the box. To this day my PS2 is my main DVD player on my main TV. This is a huge failure on Nintendo's part.

ACID
September 15th, 2006, 04:48
It will still win probably more then half the people that buy systems dont use the dvd playback any ways

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 05:47
True Acidburn. It's just a little letdown though. It's as if Nintendo can't keep up with the last generation almost...

rehbock
September 15th, 2006, 06:35
who cares..
i'm happy that there is no dvd playback support sony and m$soft take 100 $ for their build in Dvd-Players.
And today u can get a Dvd-player for 30$ or less

dejkirkby
September 15th, 2006, 07:38
I have never yet used a console for playing DVD's. So this doesn't concern me, in fact it makes me glad because my Wii will be cheaper!!!

Kramer
September 15th, 2006, 07:46
Yeah dvd playback is no biggie most people have a dvd player these days anyway so this wont hurt sales much at all.

CrackA
September 15th, 2006, 11:02
when i buy a console i dont think "yay, now im gonna buy the latest movies", im thinking games, and without this the wii is cheaper.

btw anyone know if the DVD addon thingy is true?

SSaxdude
September 15th, 2006, 21:33
I use my 360 for DVDs anyway, it works great with burned DVDs too.

mnuhaily22
September 17th, 2006, 08:32
nintendo sucks a**

mnuhaily22
September 17th, 2006, 08:32
they are a bunch of cheap a**'s