PDA

View Full Version : Games taken off shelves after Oslo killings

wraggster
July 30th, 2011, 23:33
A major Norwegian retailer has announced it is to remove 51 games from its shelves following the tragic killings in Oslo and Utøya last week.

As reported by VG247, the titles affected by Coop Norway's decision include Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and World of Warcraft – both of which gunman Anders Behring Breivik claimed to have played regularly.

The move was inspired by "consideration for those affected" by the murders, Coop Norway director Geir Inge Stokke told newspaper Rogalands Avis.

"The decision to remove the games was made around the time we realised the scope of the attack," he said.

"Others are better suited than us to point to the negative effects of games like these. At the moment it's [appropriate] for us to take them down. I wouldn't be surprised if others do the same.

"We have to think very carefully about when to bring these goods back. The economy involved is of no importance."

Breivik killed over 70 people in a bomb attack and shooting spree last week, and injured many more. His 1500 page manifesto apparently stated that he viewed Modern Warfare 2 as a "training-simulation".

We've contacted Blizzard and Activision and will update if they choose to comment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-29-games-taken-off-shelves-after-oslo-killings

jonwww
July 31st, 2011, 19:08
And the 9/11 terrorists used flight simulators for their training. I think most places still sell those games, no?

Fonixx
July 31st, 2011, 19:25
And while they at it why not take Bibles off shelves because of the tens possibly hundreds of millions that have died because of it? I'll tell you why because religions have to much power and influence to get this kind of reaction.

XDelusion
July 31st, 2011, 19:54
See, that psychologist that you linked to in the other post was right. Police Brutality has been going on for years, black on black crime has been going on for years. Citizens of other countries have been dying at the hands of their oppressors for years and nothing has been done about that...

...in fact the majority of those oppressors are UN/US/Euro allies.

The list goes on and on and on, but when the Tell-Lie-Vision wants to draw attention to a particular set of deaths, they make sure to go all out.